The Story Of A Stirling Apocalypse

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
TwilightChrono
Org Profile

The Story Of A Stirling Apocalypse

Post by TwilightChrono » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 am

The Editing:

I've been suffering from editors block recently. Not in a way where I can't edit, but in a way that I feel my videos are looking more and more similar and don't distinguish themselves apart from one another. So, this particular video I have attempted to change up my editing style and edit in a way I wouldn't edit. The result is this. I tried placing lip sync in areas where I thought I needed it and not flood the video with it. I had a theme for the story of the AMV which revolved around the usage of the music video, as it seemed fitting and helped bring the whole story together I think. This was a good way to get away from my norm of over-technically editing my videos, which is what I normally do. So, this video is really a breath of fresh air for me. I really edited for mood. To maybe tug at your heartstrings. I really wanted to capture the mood of the song without being too fast paced.

The Story: [No Spoilers For You Here! Just The Theme!]

I wanted to show in this AMV that through all of the pain, sorrow, violence and fear that there are still decent human beings out there that will stand up for what's right. Even if it costs them their life. That friendship, love and caring still exists in a world torn apart by war and sadness and that sometimes the person you most expect to be the hero.......isn't.

I hope you guys enjoy.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Re: The Story Of A Stirling Apocalypse

Post by CodeZTM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

My post today for the "Let's Get Active" campaign in General AMV! Grading Scale under spoiler.
Spoiler :
0 = Nonexistant
1-4 = Below Average. Lacking in key components that would make it an average quality.
5 = Average
6-9 = Above Average. Slightly above average, but lacking qualities that would make it something perfect.
10 = Perfect
Concept/Originality: As per your comments, I can see where your video gets its primary idea and concept. I can see how the antagonist was this really evil guy and even when faced with a ridiculous amount of power that there's still people fighting him. Vash then inspires the two other cast members to continue onward. The live action parts, however, detracted from this. In places where you might have advanced the story or really helped characterize the main cast just had live actions bits. Entertaining to watch/see, and even the landscape matched a bit, but detrimental to the AMV on a whole. I also didn't understand why the AMV ended as it did. No real closure to the story (was the hero capable of being heroic?), and we don't even really gets to see what happens to Vash. In terms of originality, it's not something I've seen often, but also isn't anything beyond a typical AMV sprinkled with live action parts. Still, had some interesting scene choices that I wouldn't have expected. 6.5/10

Editing/Sync: I'll start with scene selection, since this was the biggest part of my critique. Aimless walking syndrome was fairly prevalent. Every couple of seconds, the primary characters in the AMV (lady red and priest man) were just... Walking. Without much else there. Especially after the 2 minute mark, the AMV lost a lot of depth due to scene selection not matching the storytelling or adding much. That being said, the mood of the song, however, was well achieved. The anime and audio worked well together and there was still enjoyment to be had in that department. In terms of sync, I felt like there were some big parts of the song missed out on, or some scenes weren't as tightly synced as others (zooms especially were very rapid or oddly transitionged). I will compliment, however that 3:07-End was well synced and was a great way of moving from pre-climax to climax. BUT it really missed out on a solid ending. [7/10 ]

Visuals/Audio: Footage was between average and above average quality, but lacked the mirror shine that I've seen with this source to be "perfect". Audio was fine as far as I was concerned. [7.5/10]

Effects: Your masking has really improved! The edges were still a bit blurry and edge feathered a bit much, but still was good enough to not be noticeable unless I paused the video. So kudos there! [7.5/10]

Re-View: Not something I see myself watching frequently (the source is mostly to blame for this, I've never been an active Trigun fan), but was interesting enough that I was glad I downloaded/watched it. [5/10]

Overall: When compiled together, it has some really compelling and entertaining things about this AMV. I liked the mood of the piece, and there was some really nice buildup to the climatic final battle. Masking was much improved. Visuals/audio were fine and didn't detract from the AMV However, the concept of the video wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been minus the live action parts, and I felt like the overall sync/editing could have been improved upon as well. Even though I'm not a fan of trigun, I still don't think it's something that would be my cup of tea. [7/10]

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:20 pm

story didn't really come across

orphan frame around 1:37 ?

fast zooms during slow parts, ugh

I didn't feel like editing in the actual music video really added anything, not sure why you did that

sorry TC, you're my bro, but this video wasn't good >.>;

(hope you get over your editor's block, dealing with some of that myself)

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm glad my attention was brought to this video before I normally would have watched it as part of my prep for S2 of TWIAMVs. It above all reminded me that I really should dig my copy of Badlands Rumble out from my stack of unwatched BDs and actually give er a watch. As a fan of Trigun it's sad I haven't bothered to watch it yet.

Anyway, conceptually, I thought the video idea was interesting. That is, the mixing the MV with the anime to make a new MV/story from it. Not sure I would have done it the way you did, but then again that's me and not you. I liked the brief overlay, near the beginning, but being the only time it was used it felt out of place. Would have loved to see that more :D

To keep from having my mindset spoiled I didn't read anything about this vid until after I watched it a few times. I can say, until you explained the concept, I didn't really get it. Perhaps I was over thinking things and looking for a coherent story, but I didn't really get what you were trying to convey. However, I did feel great mood in the video and above all I thought the mood syncing really well. After reading your concept and theme for the video I get it, but I still feel you conveyed the mood better then that story.

Either way, I like the attempt at doing something different. Great song choice.
ImageImageImageImage

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed May 01, 2013 11:23 am

The mood was pretty decent in the beginning but kinda got crushed when the real music video pops in and kinda crushes it. Despite the music video being in a desert type locale it didn't quite feel like it was connected to Trigun's Space Western Motif, maybe because their attire comes off as a little too punk rock fashionable, although the dude in the brown coat seems to decently match.

Some of the transitions and effects felt a little forced or unneccesary and broke the flow. Despite being unneccessary/forced they were technically well done for the most part. The major quibble I had was the moons flashing at 0:58 felt really cheesy. The scene selection felt pretty good though considering you're only using the movie and you only have so much to work with, there was some parts that had really good or emphatic moments that hit pretty hard.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed May 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

It seems the one thing everyone agrees on is that the mood was really good and the concept was interesting. That makes me happy since that's the main thing I was going for. I'm kinda sad the rest of the video got left in the wayside.

I still have some things to work on it seems and to improve upon. I really enjoyed working on this video. I appreciate the input.

@MeleeChampion:

No? I looked at it and didn't see any orphan frames. Thanks for bringin it to my attention though. I'm sorry you didn't like the video. You're my bro too XD

I appreciate the input and insight guys.

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:22 pm

I have to agree with Shin on this one. The real footage from the AMV really took be aback and it felt disconnected to the AMV itself. I honestly couldn't see a real story here either... your editing was good though, it's just the concept needed a little bit more work. ^^

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 am

First off WHAT A COOL COVER, wow.

I'm not a fan of using live action music video with AMVs so I've gotta mirror what others have said about that bit, but I'll admit that the live action did fit with the setting of the anime, so it wasn't quite as jarring as I'd usually find it. The ending bothered me as well, partially because the non-ending to the story, and I think the last scene should have been of the series rather than the live action.

I do think it is one of your more successful AMVs though! The song and the footage worked really well together, good choice on using this version of the song. Ignoring my dislike of the live action, pretty much all of the scenes nailed the mood of the song, and the cuts and editing were pretty solid too. And I have to say that the bit where Vash ran in front of the band was pretty neat! I would have liked to see a tad more of that throughout.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 am

Kazemon15 wrote:I have to agree with Shin on this one. The real footage from the AMV really took be aback and it felt disconnected to the AMV itself. I honestly couldn't see a real story here either... your editing was good though, it's just the concept needed a little bit more work. ^^
I appreciate the input Kaze. I think I focused too much on the mood.
Hagaren Viper wrote:First off WHAT A COOL COVER, wow.

I'm not a fan of using live action music video with AMVs so I've gotta mirror what others have said about that bit, but I'll admit that the live action did fit with the setting of the anime, so it wasn't quite as jarring as I'd usually find it. The ending bothered me as well, partially because the non-ending to the story, and I think the last scene should have been of the series rather than the live action.

I do think it is one of your more successful AMVs though! The song and the footage worked really well together, good choice on using this version of the song. Ignoring my dislike of the live action, pretty much all of the scenes nailed the mood of the song, and the cuts and editing were pretty solid too. And I have to say that the bit where Vash ran in front of the band was pretty neat! I would have liked to see a tad more of that throughout.
WHAT!? You've never heard any of Lindsey Sterling's music before? She doesn't do any sining, really and it's all violen. She's awesome! Been watching her for a long time. She's a youtube star in every sense of the word.

And yeah, I agree, I was thinking I should do some more masking for the video but wasn't too sure. Looking back it probably would have been a good idea. And I agree. I think as far as my most recent AMV's go, this is a step in the right direction and I think I need to roll with what I have discovered editing with this one.

Oh, and this footage wasn't from the series. It was from the movie that was released last year.

I was trying not to become too reliant on the MV footage. I didn't want it to wind up a Live Action Fest. Which is also why I tried to keep down the lip sync throughout. Placing where I only thought necessary. I also focused more on the group mentality. As in, the public and tried to get good shots of them looking as down and depressed as I could to help fit the mood better. All in all, I think I achieved the mood bit very well, but I neglected some other things in the process. You live and learn, right?

I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

EimiJ7
Org Profile

Post by EimiJ7 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:33 am

I really enjoyed watching this! The editing was pretty good, and you were able to achieve a great mood. Yeah, there were some little things other people have mentioned that could have been better, but it didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of your video :D

Personally I didn't mind the real MV footage being in there. Maybe that's because I was really enjoying the music in this video. I do think it should have ended on Trigun though.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”