FLCL - Too Cold for Angels

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

FLCL - Too Cold for Angels

Postby CleverAdjectives » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Easy viewing link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5GCDE6tGnE

Hi, thanks for clicking <3
This is the first video I've used a lot of effects on, had to play around with it a lot to find the colors I liked. Hope you enjoy it!

I would really like to have uploaded this to an FTP server, I followed the guide at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqnI-XmWuQ&

But her version of Filezilla does not look at all like the version they have out right now and they do not have any of the options she has and I am not sure how to use the new version (it has no input boxes for a host or a username).

All I have is a youtube link, but the youtube video is basically better quality then the Direct download would be because the editing program I used doesn't have the ability to export in Xvid, just low quality MPEG distribution codecs. Stupid I know. I was able to upload the uncompressed version to youtube and it looks pretty good on there.
CleverAdjectives

Re: FLCL - Too Cold for Angels

Postby seasons » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Even if you're having trouble uploading it here, you should probably still create an entry for it anyway. Just go to "EDITORS" on the main page (the menu on the left side) and select "ENTER NEW VIDEO." Then you'll be able to link to it in this thread (more information about how to do that can be found here). People will probably get on your case about it if you don't, but I guess those are the rules.

Also, I think the aspect ratio on the video was incorrect. FLCL is shown in 4:3, but it's presented on Youtube in widescreen (16:9). You should be able to fix that really easily using Virtualdub. There's some instructions here but if you need any help feel free to ask and we'll lend you a hand. I think doing that would go a long way to improving the look of the video. I made the exact same mistake when I edited an FLCL AMV a few years ago. I posted it in this forum and people were quick to point out my error. That was a mistake I didn't make again.

Now, I know you didn't come in here for a lecture on that stuff so I'll get to the actual feedback. I thought it was a pretty good video. I've seen a lot of FLCL videos but never one so focused on Mamimi. So it was pretty unique in that respect. I thought you did a good job with how you paced it and where you applied the cuts. It synced with the music pretty well. I don't feel like the color effects added very much to the end product. And I wasn't really a big fan of the action scenes, which broke up the mellow flow of the video and felt out of place. That said, I still think it was a good AMV. You should make an entry for it here. You can at least post a Youtube link in that for anyone who wants to watch it.

Hope that you stick around and keep sharing your works with us.
Image Cutfilm Tovent

ngsilver wrote:Keep making vids you wanna make. Just don't expect everyone to like them, you'll be sorely disappointed.
seasons

Re: FLCL - Too Cold for Angels

Postby CleverAdjectives » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:03 am

seasons wrote:Now, I know you didn't come in here for a lecture on that stuff so I'll get to the actual feedback. I thought it was a pretty good video. I've seen a lot of FLCL videos but never one so focused on Mamimi. So it was pretty unique in that respect. I thought you did a good job with how you paced it and where you applied the cuts. It synced with the music pretty well. I don't feel like the color effects added very much to the end product. And I wasn't really a big fan of the action scenes, which broke up the mellow flow of the video and felt out of place. That said, I still think it was a good AMV. You should make an entry for it here. You can at least post a Youtube link in that for anyone who wants to watch it.

Hope that you stick around and keep sharing your works with us.

Thank you so much. This one paragraph made the effort worthwhile.

I didn't write much because it's embarrassing to write paragraphs of text for an AMV that no one will probably ever read haha.

I resisted watching FLCL for like 8 years because it was so quirky and random and pure-100%-anime I couldn't get into it. While combing it for AMV footage, I discovered the series had a surprising amount of characterization below the surface (mainly that Haruko is actually the villain). This was the plot I picked up from the show but is almost certainly not true:

By the time I got to the end of the show, I was convinced Mamimi was the protagonist and that 80% of the show was a vivid hallucination brought on by her nicotine addictions and the trauma of getting dumped by her boyfriend for an American girlfriend. Haruko was a projection of who Mamimi actually wanted to be - a fast-talking, fast-romancing action hero who does whatever she wants, and Atomsk was the boyfriend she wished she could have - powerful, caring, and swings a wicked baseball bat. This is why, in the AMV, I tried to only show colors when she smoked a cigarette or colors that reminded her of the glow of a cigg (red, yellow). Addiction will often leave you feeling 'empty' or like something is missing, so I tried to remove the color either on her or around her.
I have a video entry up but it was pretty barren so I figured I'd just have you skip a link, I'll just copy this description into it I guess.

Obviously my interpretation isn't correct because a lot of things happen off-screen from Mamimi, but I felt like the series was much better when I watched it this way haha. Unfortunately it was very hard to translate this to the AMV, didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I will try to get the aspect ratio fixed for my next AMV definitely, my monitor is widescreen so I guess nothing looked off to me? I don't know how it works lol. Thank you so again for replying, I'll definitely keep trying and make my next video more consistent.
CleverAdjectives

Return to AMV Announcements