Die Young In Sugar Rush City!

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Die Young In Sugar Rush City!

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 am

Well, it's finally here. My long worked on AMV SRC. This is actually my 150th AMV so I made a special out of it. Liek how I did Heaven's Faith as my 100th AMV Special. I actually think this video tops my Encore and Heaven's Faith videos.

This AMV actually went through way more beta's than most of my AMV's ever see. This went through a grand total of 31 beta tests.

Special thanks to my Beta Testers CodeZTM & Hagaren Viper. Their input helped me out a tremendous amount, and considering I had never tried this amount of digital effects and lip sync in a single video before, I needed all the input I could get. Granted, I took liberties with a few of my the beta's, so they didn't see ALL 31.

In the end, I think this came out wonderful. I had a blast editing it, and I hope you guys have a blast watching it. I worked hard on this. SO YOU GUYS BETTER WATCH IT HARD TOO! XD

If you are looking for a story in this, don't. There isn't one. It may seem like it at times, but trust me. There isn't one.

I would prefer you download it before watch it simply because the preview player really mucks up the quality. The preview player doesn't do all the work I did on the footage justice. Not by a long shot.

Let me know your thoughts.

Anyways guys. Enjoy your stay in Sugar Rush City!
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Die Young In Sugar Rush City!

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm

TwilightChrono wrote:This went through a grand total of 31 beta tests.
Perhaps you need a new set of beta testers...I don't even know where to begin with what is wrong with this video...have you heard of a thing called aspect ratio? It's not the number of beta testers you have...just get some that'll be honest with you and tell you when something is awful and what needs to be fixed...and it's videos like this that give a bad reputation to text work in videos...pick a style and stick with it...you clearly know the software enough to do effects, you just need to learn how to use them effectively to enhance the video, not make it look worse.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Just finished watching the full thing.

I maintain my original positions in the beta versions. The addition of Sword Art online added unneeded drama to an otherwise dance/fun/happy AMV. While the action was nice, it just didn't fit with the rest of the anime in the AMV and overshadowed some in its length. Kirito's face just screams something outside of the the realm that this song is in. I also maintain that many of the scenes were just a tad longer than necessary.

The song cut could have been improved upon. It sounded very rough and was pretty noticable and felt unneeded and rushed. the last half of the AMV I didn't even see before release, but I would have suggested it being tightened up a bit. Some messy cuts.

Text wise, l33tmeat would be a good source to ask on this one. I personally thought it was a fun additional aspect, but I might be wrong in this case. I'm definitely not the authority on text here. XD

Overall, I think it starts strong, but ends a little sloppily.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:16 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Text wise, l33tmeat would be a good source to ask on this one. I personally thought it was a fun additional aspect, but I might be wrong in this case. I'm definitely not the authority on text here. XD
It's not that some of the text wasn't fun...it's the randomness off it and the inconsistency with the styling...you don't use 12million different fonts, you keep it consistent and change up the way you use it...and stay consistent in the video with WHERE you use it (in the song). As-is, it's like "OH YEAH TEXT!!!!!!!!!!!"

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I realize that it's not suited to everyones tastes. I'll definitly keep in mind what you gusy have said for my next project. I tried my best and over-all I'm happy with the result.

Some parts were probably seem rushed but I promise they aren't. I just wanted to experiment with something I haven't really done before which was a text based video revolving around multiple anime. And just make the video random as all hell. Guess it didn't work, lol.

The text was from the text music video of the song so there wasn't much I could do with the text since I suck with text on my own. and as for the aspect ratio, I resized and cropped fine. Nothing is the wrong with the AR as far as I know. Unless I missed something. Which I shouldn't have since I went over this with a fine toothed comb.

Over-all I'm happy with the result and I stand by the video proudly :)

Thanks again for the input guys. I'm sorry you didn't like it, L33t.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Maybe it's just me, but the clip in the front at 0:38 looks distorted. Aside from that, there were pacing issues and the random selections of anime don't fit together at all...and what is the theme exactly? Was it fighting or just getting freaky? Pick a theme and stick with it...and work on your timing...you kept switching pace, it was very distracting...you are right, it's not to everyone's tastes, some of us like things to not look like a youtube special...

As for STEALING the text from the original, the focus of that video was ONLY the lyrics, and while they used a lot of tacky fonts the focus was the text and ONLY the text and they were handling it in a way where it was more abstract style art that was intended to look trashy to match Ke$ha's style. Simply throwing parts of another video has it's own abstract art style with professional and clean looking anime does NOT mesh well. If you want to use text it needs to mesh well with the overall art style of the video you are creating.

I'll say this, I appreciate the effort you put into the video, you just need a bit of direction to help you understand how to mesh things together in a way that doesn't make people cringe.

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:45 pm

I don't even see any changes from my beta review so I question why I'm credited :|

Its fine to have a random fun vid but it seems like there are too many themes here. Girls doing pretty things, battles, drama, ecchi, and in the second half just...stuff, all set to a party song. There's just too much going on and not enough trying it together.

The first half works pretty well since the scenes are pretty high energy and fun/action looks pretty decent together [Though I still question the use of so many SAO scenes/the use of SAO in general - especially in a female dominated video, which I failed to mention]. But the second half uses a lot of really slow paces scenes or even scenes where nobody is moving, and the editing slows down as well, on top of adding pervy scenes out of nowhere. I know you said it was for the lyric sync but if you're going to add something like that you should tie it into the rest of the video or just not have it.

So I guess something to carry away from this vid is having a theme...if a scene doesn't add to your overall theme, then it shouldn't be in the video. If you had focused on the 'girls partying' kinda theme in the first half then this could have been a much stronger vid, but all the additions drag it down.

tl;dnr Ditto to Code.

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:16 pm

I actually found it to be quite cheesy(in rather positive way), and somewhat funny. Pacing could be a tad better tho.
Anime pick is random ,but somehow it sticks together, tho some more directing maybe wouldn't be bad but w/e.

Fonts are cheesy but i think it makes it feel more like parody of song. :nose:

Entertaining for me. I didn't take it too seriously with this song :uhoh: .
Still better than that MMO.

snapxynith
Org Profile

Post by snapxynith » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:18 pm

And just make the video random as all hell. -TwilightChrono
You did make it random. This is our complaint.
If you are going to make a text experiment, do that. If you want a multi-source amv, do this.

Instead what you made was six videos in the space of one. It is indeed random but if you wanted that you could put up white noise for three minutes as that would be as random as it gets. Wanting to do a text experiment without a goal is like typing j;kdasjdfa; and calling it a book. Sure you could do that but would people care about the book?

Pick what you want the text to do and pick what you want your editing to convey. If any of your video conveys something learn from the pieces that worked and build from that. As it is now, you probably should strip it down and rebuild one of the concepts.

Oh, and if you're bad at text, we all start that way. You do not get better at text by avoiding the experimentation. So start actually experimenting with text instead of footage overlays of someone else's work.

Kudos on the attempt and keep trying, we'll all look forward to your next video.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:12 pm

snapxynith wrote:
And just make the video random as all hell. -TwilightChrono
You did make it random. This is our complaint.
If you are going to make a text experiment, do that. If you want a multi-source amv, do this.

Instead what you made was six videos in the space of one. It is indeed random but if you wanted that you could put up white noise for three minutes as that would be as random as it gets. Wanting to do a text experiment without a goal is like typing j;kdasjdfa; and calling it a book. Sure you could do that but would people care about the book?

Pick what you want the text to do and pick what you want your editing to convey. If any of your video conveys something learn from the pieces that worked and build from that. As it is now, you probably should strip it down and rebuild one of the concepts.

Oh, and if you're bad at text, we all start that way. You do not get better at text by avoiding the experimentation. So start actually experimenting with text instead of footage overlays of someone else's work.

Kudos on the attempt and keep trying, we'll all look forward to your next video.
Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Now if I could only get Mature quick comments, then I'd be all set. The amount of immaturity from members on this site that use the anonymous feature of the QC to say hurtful things without being worried people will know who they are astounds me. People need to grow up. I always sign my QC's with a ~T.C. so you know it's me. I'm not scared of having people message me to ask me why I posted what I posted.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”