[Anime Evo - BEST ROMANCE SENTIMENTAL] 泣くないで (Don't Cry)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

[Anime Evo - BEST ROMANCE SENTIMENTAL] 泣くないで (Don't Cry)

Post by Kionon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:48 am

WINNER BEST ROMANCE SENTIMENTAL - Anime Evolution 2012
WINNER "Your Two Moms Award" - Youmacon 2012

STOP.

Go download these videos:

Now, you may go download mine:

Video: 泣くないで (Don't Cry)
Category: Character Profile, Fun, Romance
Anime: Aoi Hana - Sweet Blue Flowers (TV)
Song: No More Cry
Artist: The Corrs
Creator: Kionon ( :| Serious Business Studios :| )

RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS.

Folks, it's been a hard couple of years, hasn't it?

We've lost some good people, and hopefully you're reminded of just what we lost, and how they changed the landscape for the better. While I admit I did not know Magnus well, I very much loved his videos, especially Our Farewell. Without Quu, I wouldn't be here. He was the person who egged me on into editing AMVs (and more importantly, showing them in public) in the first place. A fellow original Kimagure Orange Road fan, someone I spent so much time with at AWA and chatting about KOR and Mac compatibility with... It's hard to lose someone who so obviously changed your life course in a major way.

And godix... Probably the person I spoke most with in the entire hobby. In public, of course, he ragged on me mercilessly. It was part of the joke. In private however, I would have to say, that godix was probably my best friend here on the Org. We would spend hours talking theory, or philosophy, or politics. We'd berate congress for not coming up for solutions that we would come up with in twenty minutes, even though I am a liberal Democrat, and he was at least a fairly conservative almost-Republican. He was involved in almost every video I've done for the past six years. And as much as he mocked them, he never was too busy to be involved in the process. He and I ran Review after quadir, and God knows I haven't had the interest with him gone to restart it myself.

And finally, he was the primary betatester for 泣くないで. And, although he never would have admitted it in public, he liked what he saw. When he passed away, I shelved the video. What's more, I pretty much stopped editing entirely. However, I don't think Quu or godix, or even Magnus (had we ever had the chance to talk) would have liked the idea that I had stopped editing because, ultimately, when I did, I started crying. So this video, despite its initial inception prior to their deaths, has taken on a special meaning.

It's time we stop grieving, as much as the loss of grief is in and of itself painful. Time for no more cry.

Enjoy the video and its celebration of love for the ones we live for.
Last edited by Kionon on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Re: Retirement is for Chumps (or, How I Spent My 29th Birthd

Post by Emong » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:01 am

That was really sweet. Although it felt more or less like a random collection of two characters in different situations the idea got delivered thanks to the repeated motif of Akira protecting and comforting Fumi.

In terms of editing - At times it felt quite busy and here I'm thinking about the fast patterns of cross-fades. I don't mind that but on the other hand there was nothing that would have been quite the same towards the end of the video. Maybe you could have been more consistent with the pacing by picking up the fast pace again somewhere in the second half? The beginning in general felt like you put more effort into it than the rest of the video (with all the masking and such).

But, overall, very nice work. Perhaps I'm too biased because I loved Aoi Hana but I'm gonna rate it 4/5 :up:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:07 am

Emong,

It was roughly chronological, but the idea was "snapshots" from throughout the series. The first half of the video has the much faster verses. The second half of the video is choruses (slow) and bridge (slower). I did try going for hitting even more beat types, but honestly, it just got frikken ridiculous. Ideally, Fumi would have remained the narrator throughout the entire video, but with 11 episodes of mostly static, depressed faces, I fought like hell through a footage shortage...

There was no masking in the video at all.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:35 am

No masking?

/re-watches the Aoi Hana opening

Ohhhhhh...

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:40 am

Emong wrote:No masking?

/re-watches the Aoi Hana opening

Ohhhhhh...
I bought the DVDs when they came out in Japan, so non-credit opening for the win.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

-MD
Org Profile

Post by -MD » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 am

First video I've downloaded in like half a year lol. It was a good first video to watch after so long. I kind of want to hurry up with my homework today so I can edit. Haha. Just a couple of the scenes went by too fast for me. Very nice vid kio. I need to watch more stuff :asd:

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Given all the last-hour shouting and swearing on a couple of sections, the whole thing hangs together quite nicely. The first time I watched it I missed that they were gay due to a mixture of understatedness, Akira looking really young, and the closeness of female friends in anime being really close. They are shown kissing right at the very end, but I might have been too distracted by the sudden loud AYYYYYYY to process that.

Anyway, the video showed off the sweetness and supportiveness of their relationship and given the lack of visual drama the chonological approach was probably the best way of structuring it. I can see why you were so adamant about keeping the shot at the end of the bridge, that one looked really good.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:32 pm

-MD wrote:First video I've downloaded in like half a year lol. It was a good first video to watch after so long. I kind of want to hurry up with my homework today so I can edit. Haha. Just a couple of the scenes went by too fast for me. Very nice vid kio. I need to watch more stuff :asd:
After listening very carefully, I decided the speed of the cuts could not be altered. I didn't like the effect fewer cuts had on the overall flow because the vast majority of the scenes were simply too static.

Thanks, MD. :up:
Melanchthon wrote:Given all the last-hour shouting and swearing on a couple of sections, the whole thing hangs together quite nicely. The first time I watched it I missed that they were gay due to a mixture of understatedness, Akira looking really young, and the closeness of female friends in anime being really close. They are shown kissing right at the very end, but I might have been too distracted by the sudden loud AYYYYYYY to process that.
As I explained on IRC, to be fair, they don't actually start a romantic relationship until after the anime ends. The scenes from the manga, including the kissing scene, were included only in the credits. They are not in the version shown in contests. In general the series, and even the manga, is really low key.
Anyway, the video showed off the sweetness and supportiveness of their relationship and given the lack of visual drama the chonological approach was probably the best way of structuring it. I can see why you were so adamant about keeping the shot at the end of the bridge, that one looked really good.
Yeah, I do move scenes around based on lyrics, but I largely started and ended chronologically because I really wanted to show how Fumi starts off terribly depressed (the first lyrics are the first part of the first episode) but ends up truly happy with Ah-chan. And as far as I can tell from the current manga volume, they're doing well and are still quite happy, normal couple quibbles aside. The manga is on going.

Thanks, Mel. :up:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:41 am

That was very sweet. I'm sure they would have liked to see this. :up:

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:28 am

Cool vid, solid editing, pacing and transitions were good. I hate the song and wasn't familiar with the anime at all. Friend story made sense and the dedication at the end was very nice. Gangum style clip at the very end was funny also...

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”