Goodbye Days

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
lloyd9988
Org Profile

Goodbye Days

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I just say it right now. . . Banner still needs more work, the credits need more work and there are still parts of this AMV I still wanna change. . . But. . . After editing this whole song for two months and realizing. . . "You know what. . . I'm done. I've learned nearly everything I could from editing this." I just up and said its good as it is :P Its not perfect, and I probably could do wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more to improve it. . . but I just don't wanna edit this anymore. :sweat: Overall, though, this was a great learning experience and, if it wasn't for the fact that school is starting soon, and I have a major major major collab I'm working on which hasn't made much progress, I would do more but . . . Sadly this is not the case so I shall be showing this AMV now. :P

Special Thanks goes to Aimo for her awesome advice before and after the quickening, :up: Kinematics for his questions, ProjectBarcodeError for his advice on flow, showing me SNK and just being awesome (Sorry for not changing the first 14 seconds, I'm so lazy), Kisanzi and Radical_Yue for their detailed advice as always, ^_^ Centurione for her honest opinions and for being a great friend. :up: Anyone else I didn't name. . . umm. . . I don't really know what to say since they were the ones whose opinions I asked for the most before and after the quickening and they were more than accommodating. So, without further adieu, enjoy. ^_^

* Edit: Also, just something weird I just noticed. . . I was reading the description of the AMV and something about Angel Beats + Cosmic Love just looks amazing together. |:>

Statz
Org Profile

Re: Goodbye Days

Post by Statz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Really good job with this one, definitely gonna download it. My only complaint is with some of the panning/zooming, sometimes they were a bit too strong, other than that is just minor minor complaints not worth mentioning. Once again awesome job, I loved it!

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Nicely done, Brad. (: Your editing has improved a lot since I first saw it, and overall this video is very solid. There are some things that need tweaking, but there's nothing that hindered my overall enjoyment of the amv, so great job (: With a lot of my videos I do what you did, say "I'm done," because like you said, you know what parts you want to work on, and you've learned from it, so I'm glad to see this amv as it is.

I would like to just give some critique though, just cuz that's what I do :nose: Feel free to ignore it though, these are just the little things I notice:
Spoiler :
The fade out at :13/:14, I think it'd be better if it was more of a normal black fade, with just a slightly deeper tone to it (I forget what this setting is called on Levels in vegas, but it's the top setting.) The majority of the fade is this dark toned effect that I personally like in moderation, but not as the fade itself.

I love your glowy/blur fade ins and out after :17. I'm seriously such a sucker for these, but they work well in pretty much any case, so awesome job with that. Fade out at :29 too, nice job at adding in the blur, I think it looks nice.
Honestly no complaint with pans at this point. They're not at your typical angle, but it looks good.

Eye transition at :36 is very iffy. I think the other ones you have look alright, but this one has a very slow zoom out time, so you can see pixels and such. The darkness of that clip doesn't transition well with the brighter scene either.

The clip before :45 is one too many I think.

:56/:57/1:04, more of those nasty dark fades/clips. There are a few spots where it works and where it doesn't, but I'll just mention one more.

1:14-1:24, iffy pacing, and the zooms toward the end aren't as good. The pickup frames into the next part of the song look good though.

In general, I like the overlayed clips on the beats, however in a few places the pans/zooms don't look as good. Usually happens with clips that have less motion in it. Just something to look for.

2:09-2:32 I like the scene selection, but I think it would have been better with just plain cuts and such. No need for the flashes on any beats, like 2:12/:13 and 2:!6. Like the heartbeats though, and the angel wing (:

After this point, I think your scene selection is strongest, because you're alternating between different events. It's more interesting, there's a lot of impact, in general pretty good. Some iffy pans and zooms here and there, nasty beat fade things.
Eye transition at 3:44 looks pretty good.

3:45 onward is great. I like just the simple cuts and fades, nice scenes, noise. Would have liked this kind of editing for the Otonashi death part I think.
A great ending though, especially like the hand part of it.
One of the better Angel Beats amvs I've seen for sure. Keep it up! :)
(now I need to go write some critique on the video that you actually asked for... >> lol sorry)
Image Image

ShadowSuicune
Org Profile

Post by ShadowSuicune » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 pm

I really liked your amv! :)

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 pm

First off: This really is quite an improvement from the videos of yours that I've seen before and I enjoyed watching this. Mainly for the editing style. Relying on heavy beat sync while not hesitating to make scenes flow by fast is something I still love to see and which is something that seems to be done less and less nowadays (sad progress, imo...people should train their eyes instead of complaining).
There were issues that I had with the editing, though. Effects could (or should) have been more subtle. They feel too strong (panning and glow for example) and need to be better included in the footage. It's just too obvious.
I also felt that the beat sync got too messy at points.
And well...I couldn't really grasp any sort of concept. I prefer videos that have at least some sort of storyline...or at least show scenes that make sense alltogether. I don't mind random videos, but mostly only if the song is well...pointless enough. And that definitely isn't the case with such intense dramatic music.

Well, that's about it. Now go finish your MSI2 track :dino:

[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Post by [madaraxD] » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Kevmaster wrote:This really is quite an improvement from the videos of yours that I've seen before and I enjoyed watching this
This. Well done Lloyd :up:

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Finally released it.....hmmmm.....my thoughts are mixed on this final version of this vid. I did notice alot of changes in the video from the beta I saw. Some changes I really liked, like the scene selection and flow at the end was a vast improvement and totally rocks now. But you ended up making changes that hurt parts that I liked better before, like the part near the beginning that used to be my favorite now has sharper pans and zooms that hurt the look. So all in all I prefer parts of the video to others, but as a whole I think it's a good mood piece.

Nice work overall and I await this collab project that you are investing many of your efforts in. I better be AMAZING!

lloyd9988
Org Profile

Post by lloyd9988 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Was not. . . expecting this xD Umm. . . K, guess I'll start answering some of the posts
Statz wrote:Really good job with this one, definitely gonna download it. My only complaint is with some of the panning/zooming, sometimes they were a bit too strong, other than that is just minor minor complaints not worth mentioning. Once again awesome job, I loved it!
Pretty much x) I'm glad you liked it. But I guess the pan zooms were a bit too strong :sweat: Thanks for telling me. :)
Taite wrote:Nicely done, Brad. (: Your editing has improved a lot since I first saw it, and overall this video is very solid. There are some things that need tweaking, but there's nothing that hindered my overall enjoyment of the amv, so great job (: With a lot of my videos I do what you did, say "I'm done," because like you said, you know what parts you want to work on, and you've learned from it, so I'm glad to see this amv as it is.

I would like to just give some critique though, just cuz that's what I do :nose: Feel free to ignore it though, these are just the little things I notice:
Spoiler :
The fade out at :13/:14, I think it'd be better if it was more of a normal black fade, with just a slightly deeper tone to it (I forget what this setting is called on Levels in vegas, but it's the top setting.) The majority of the fade is this dark toned effect that I personally like in moderation, but not as the fade itself.

I love your glowy/blur fade ins and out after :17. I'm seriously such a sucker for these, but they work well in pretty much any case, so awesome job with that. Fade out at :29 too, nice job at adding in the blur, I think it looks nice.
Honestly no complaint with pans at this point. They're not at your typical angle, but it looks good.

Eye transition at :36 is very iffy. I think the other ones you have look alright, but this one has a very slow zoom out time, so you can see pixels and such. The darkness of that clip doesn't transition well with the brighter scene either.

The clip before :45 is one too many I think.

:56/:57/1:04, more of those nasty dark fades/clips. There are a few spots where it works and where it doesn't, but I'll just mention one more.

1:14-1:24, iffy pacing, and the zooms toward the end aren't as good. The pickup frames into the next part of the song look good though.

In general, I like the overlayed clips on the beats, however in a few places the pans/zooms don't look as good. Usually happens with clips that have less motion in it. Just something to look for.

2:09-2:32 I like the scene selection, but I think it would have been better with just plain cuts and such. No need for the flashes on any beats, like 2:12/:13 and 2:!6. Like the heartbeats though, and the angel wing (:

After this point, I think your scene selection is strongest, because you're alternating between different events. It's more interesting, there's a lot of impact, in general pretty good. Some iffy pans and zooms here and there, nasty beat fade things.
Eye transition at 3:44 looks pretty good.

3:45 onward is great. I like just the simple cuts and fades, nice scenes, noise. Would have liked this kind of editing for the Otonashi death part I think.
A great ending though, especially like the hand part of it.
One of the better Angel Beats amvs I've seen for sure. Keep it up! :)
(now I need to go write some critique on the video that you actually asked for... >> lol sorry)
. . . I knew I should've asked you to beta test my video before adding it. Why I didn't . . . I don't even know. xD Still, thanks for that, I re-watched it and have to agree that there is still a lot of flaws (Mainly that eye transition at 0:36 >.< Should've just replaced that scene or just done a simple cross-fade and I don't think I'll ever get what people want at 0:13 with that fade out). But, hey, definitely adds to the learning experience so that's what counts. ^_^ Thanks Taite!
ShadowSuicune wrote:I really liked your amv! :)
Cool |:>
Kevmaster wrote:First off: This really is quite an improvement from the videos of yours that I've seen before and I enjoyed watching this. Mainly for the editing style. Relying on heavy beat sync while not hesitating to make scenes flow by fast is something I still love to see and which is something that seems to be done less and less nowadays (sad progress, imo...people should train their eyes instead of complaining).
There were issues that I had with the editing, though. Effects could (or should) have been more subtle. They feel too strong (panning and glow for example) and need to be better included in the footage. It's just too obvious.
I also felt that the beat sync got too messy at points.
And well...I couldn't really grasp any sort of concept. I prefer videos that have at least some sort of storyline...or at least show scenes that make sense alltogether. I don't mind random videos, but mostly only if the song is well...pointless enough. And that definitely isn't the case with such intense dramatic music.

Well, that's about it. Now go finish your MSI2 track :dino:
Lol Yey for improvement |:> but yeah. . . sooo many issues. . . I think I would've made the effects more subtle if it wasn't for the fact that my footage glitched on me every time I added like one effect (fyi, Handbrake will never be used again after this) :amv: xD But the AMV is kinda pointless unless your literally in my head and listening to my every thought when I was making this and, even then, you'd probably be like: ". . . What??". Sorry if I made anyone feel like they've been trolled. :P

Now to finish that MSI track :dino: '
[madaraxD] wrote:
Kevmaster wrote:This really is quite an improvement from the videos of yours that I've seen before and I enjoyed watching this
This. Well done Lloyd :up:
|:> Thanks Madara!
Kisanzi wrote:Finally released it.....hmmmm.....my thoughts are mixed on this final version of this vid. I did notice alot of changes in the video from the beta I saw. Some changes I really liked, like the scene selection and flow at the end was a vast improvement and totally rocks now. But you ended up making changes that hurt parts that I liked better before, like the part near the beginning that used to be my favorite now has sharper pans and zooms that hurt the look. So all in all I prefer parts of the video to others, but as a whole I think it's a good mood piece.

Nice work overall and I await this collab project that you are investing many of your efforts in. I better be AMAZING!
Its an iffy situation either way xD Sorry to give confusing thoughts on this final beta but I'll be investing more time into the collab after the release of the next collab. xD Umm. . . Next time though, I'll be sending you a beta finale before I release it so it'll meet quality, Kisanzi standards :P Thank you and Yue very much for being my beta testers, it helped me out a LOT. ^_^

Again, thank you all for your opinions guys, I'm glad to always learn something new from everyones thoughts on an AMV. ^_^ Lastly. . . the greatest lesson learned making this, is probably. . . Never use handbrake. . . Unless you know what your doing :nose:

S.A. Robert
Org Profile

Post by S.A. Robert » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:31 am

Nice work :up:

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:11 am

lloyd9988 wrote:I don't think I'll ever get what people want at 0:13 with that fade out.
I think it's just to make it look cleaner/smoother. At least in my case it was. :P But nice video! I'm liking the changes you made since the last beta. I know you said there are still some parts you would have liked to work on but I think you've already outdid yourself with this one since it's a huge improvement from your previous works. So while there are parts I would still tweak myself, I don't really think it's necessary since the AMV pretty much feels "complete" to me now. And obviously because editing this for 2 months is exhausting and having you go through more trouble like that is kinda mean. :P So I'm happy to see the final result of this AMV being released! :mrgreen:

Anyway I really enjoyed it. A lot of AMVs nowadays tend to be internal sync heavy and less beat sync heavy so it's nice to see a change, not saying internal sync is bad...but seeing it so often kinda takes away the impact slightly. (But then I also do this so I have no right to say anything. :sweat: ) And overlays when done properly look amazing in a video, well to me at least since I love good overlaying in videos. :up: Good use of panning/zooms and blurs, good pacing, good editing in general. I guess the only thing missing was some sort of story but I'm not too hugely fussed since this AMV IS beat sync oriented and having the viewer focus on that only is a good thing because having too many things in an AMV can get confusing cause I'd be so busy marvelling at the beat sync that I'd be like "wa-whut happened?!" :|

Now you just gotta tidy up your R3 video and release that too. ;3 But good job nonetheless, it's nice to see you continually improve with each video you make so keep up the good work! :up:

P.S. One last thing, Yuri is MINES. Both you and Kaze need to back off. D<

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”