The Way You Lie

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
sholin360
Org Profile

The Way You Lie

Post by sholin360 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:49 am

Video: The Way You Lie
Category: Drama, Serious, Romance, Sentimental, Action
Anime: Darker Than BLACK (TV), Darker Than Black - Kuro No Keiyakusha: Gaiden (OVA)
Song: Love the way you lie Rihanna Cover
Artist: I Am King
Creator: sholin360

I think this is my best one yet since I tried to learn from other people on youtube ESPECIALLY one in particular (Yann FTW) :D Please give me feedback on how to improve :D

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Re: The Way You Lie

Post by Kevmaster » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:07 pm

Let's see what we got here.

Overall, it wasn't a bad video and showed that you can work with your editing software.
The video definitely benefited from the high visual quality, thought it seemed to appear with slight pillarboxing. You should crop your footage next time to avoid this.
That aside, it seemed like you quite stuck to your theme and most of the scenes and how they switch up seemed to make some sense in regard to the song which is a really important thing.
It had a pretty good flow as well, I didn't feel uneasy at all watching your sync.
The panning added somehow to the mood of the video (feels somehow like what you'd see when recording with a handheld camera) and made some of the slow scenes appear more fluent. However what I did not like was that you matched some of the same drum beats while you randomly changed scenes when it was uncalled for.

What I really disliked on the other hand, was the addition of the text. The fonts you chose for them didn't seem to fit and it looked instead just like random words slapped over your footage. If you want to add text, make sure it actually serves a purpose and suits your video theme. Also, don't just add them on top of your video, incoorporate them. Think wisely of the style of your font and why it should look like that. Also, make sure it is part of the video and not a random distraction.
Then, there is the length of the video. I hate videos that suddenly stop and leave me hanging for more. Your video needs a good closure. What I have here is something that rather feels like...well, like you got lazy and just decided to end there.
Also, the audio quality was bad. Especially when the sound is getting stronger and more intense, it was utterly fuzzy and cracky sounding. Please do not use already compressed files for editing. For an audiophile, like I am, this is pure torture. Use lossless files (best ripped from your own cd) for editing to get a much better sounding result.

As for the visual effects, they seemed like neat and creative ideas...but they seem...uncompleted. With more work on them, they would have surely looked better.

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:20 am

>.< I tried using text because.... well, it seemed like lots of people were doing it so I wanted to test it out ( I guess it's no good :p) And as for the audio, it was done as a cover by some guys on youtube so I followed their download link. And as for why I cut it at that part was... the song started to cause me a MASSIVE headache; the next part of the song is a COMPLETE screamo and I don't even know what he's saying. so I seriously didn't think I could do it... >.< Thanks for the feedback :D I'll try to improve

sholin360
Org Profile

Post by sholin360 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:48 am

I tried to make another amv to practice my lyric making >.<
Heres my new guilty crown amv 'foolish love': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6HyTne2cDw

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”