AX 2012 Reject: "I Am (Not) Born"

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
blaku92
Org Profile

AX 2012 Reject: "I Am (Not) Born"

Post by blaku92 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:05 am

Youtube Link

Hey y'all. Been waiting a really long time to show this to everyone. I was kind of hoping to see it at AX on a big screen.. competing in the contest, but sadly it wasn't chosen as a finalist. I've been jokingly referring to this as my "reject video" haha. I really did have a lot of fun cutting it and I couldn't be happier with the results. Oh -- I included the Lyrics in case you're really dorky and want to see how it matches up with the scene selections. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

"I've dated uglier girls than you for breakfast."

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Re: AX 2012 Reject: "I Am (Not) Born"

Post by Kevmaster » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Cynic? Hell yeah! Downloading in no time!

EDIT: Loved it :) The anime was picked well to suit the song, the synching and scene choices were spot on and you managed to do some perfect mood-sync.
What I missed though, was a bigger contrast in different parts of the song, so I think you could have done something with brightness/contrast or color corrections in the slower parts of the song or have something going on to suit the growls. That's pretty much the only thing I could critisize though! Very well done! (And I'm glad there are still some people on here with good taste in music :wink: )
Last edited by Kevmaster on Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Love how Evangelion use to be overused and now it's not so much anymore. Awesome AMV I'm waiting for all the movies to be released, but I love seeing new AMVs.

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Kevmaster wrote:Cynic? Hell yeah! Downloading in no time!

EDIT: Loved it :) The anime was picked well to suit the song, the synching and scene choices were spot on and you managed to do some perfect mood-sync.
What I missed though, was a bigger contrast in different parts of the song, so I think you could have done something with brightness/contrast or color corrections in the slower parts of the song or have something going on to suit the growls. That's pretty much the only thing I could critisize though! Very well done! (And I'm glad there are still some people on here with good taste in music :wink: )
Hey thanks! Yeah -- originally, as I started to get lazy towards the end, I tried experimenting with something that would suit the growls near the end of the song, but to me it didn't feel like it meshed with the sort of quicker cuts throughout the video. Since it's a Cynic song, the most difficult thing to do while cutting this was picking which aspect of the song I wanted to work with. Guess that's what happens when you choose good music :up:
pan_dbgt01 wrote:Love how Evangelion use to be overused and now it's not so much anymore. Awesome AMV I'm waiting for all the movies to be released, but I love seeing new AMVs.
I'm just glad that the good oldies are now starting to get new feature length royal treatments. Waiting is rough though. Berserk films might be my next target.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:11 pm

that was pretty gnarly. good blending of the original with the new movies :up:

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:11 pm

This is a solid action video. Great job on the scene selection. I felt that this captures the unique atmosphere that permeates Evangelion; you can't just treat it like you would any other source, and you recognized that.

As far as criticism I would offer this: starting at 2:55, the song begins to slowly decelerate and fade away until 3:47. The sync during this portion is a little sloppy. 3:08-3:11, for example, misses a lot of opportunities for beat sync and is just held too long, as well. There were a few other parts like that, but you get the point.

Also, it's a stylistic choice to be sure, but I like action videos that end on a high note. You want people to finish watching your video and be like "holy crap, that was amazing, I want to watch that again RITE NOW!!!" Your video ends with an extended fade-out and just kind of makes you go "hmmmmmm" instead of "WHOA WHAT DID I JUST WATCH." Now, I *did* like what you did for the ending (not crazy about the ripple/wave effect tho)... it's a contemplative conclusion and in a lot of ways, that fits Eva very well. Buuuuut it also kinda decimates your momentum. If you did a conclusion like this in half the time or less (like :30 seconds or less) I think it would have been more powerful.

Still, gj, I enjoyed it! :up:

blaku92
Org Profile

Post by blaku92 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 am

Rider4Z wrote:that was pretty gnarly. good blending of the original with the new movies :up:
haha. The new movies filled in the gaps quite nicely!
irriadin wrote:This is a solid action video. Great job on the scene selection. I felt that this captures the unique atmosphere that permeates Evangelion; you can't just treat it like you would any other source, and you recognized that.

As far as criticism I would offer this: starting at 2:55, the song begins to slowly decelerate and fade away until 3:47. The sync during this portion is a little sloppy. 3:08-3:11, for example, misses a lot of opportunities for beat sync and is just held too long, as well. There were a few other parts like that, but you get the point.

Also, it's a stylistic choice to be sure, but I like action videos that end on a high note. You want people to finish watching your video and be like "holy crap, that was amazing, I want to watch that again RITE NOW!!!" Your video ends with an extended fade-out and just kind of makes you go "hmmmmmm" instead of "WHOA WHAT DID I JUST WATCH." Now, I *did* like what you did for the ending (not crazy about the ripple/wave effect tho)... it's a contemplative conclusion and in a lot of ways, that fits Eva very well. Buuuuut it also kinda decimates your momentum. If you did a conclusion like this in half the time or less (like :30 seconds or less) I think it would have been more powerful.

Still, gj, I enjoyed it! :up:
Thanks for the critique. That ripple/wave effect was in the footage to begin with, but I was all like .. "meh" the music has a watery sound at the end so I felt that it worked. I definitely wanted that scene, but if I had the choice, probably wouldn't want the effect. I like the song, but MAN do I HATE slow fade outs. I even had to fade out a little bit sooner than the actual TRT because it was so long. Not much I can do there though since that's the way it was mastered.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”