The Soul Warp

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
TheDevian
Org Profile

The Soul Warp

Post by TheDevian » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:58 pm

This is my 5th video, and my first announcement, so, Hello all ;)

In doing this video I tried to be a bit more 'creative' doing things I hadn't done before, Including some fx, mixing in other sounds, and so on. My earlier ones ended up being two tracks, one video, one audio, this one ended up with 7 total.
As I watched Soul Eater I fell in love with the art style, and one day just felt it would be a good fit for RHPS, and so this project began.
When I started adding text for the title I came up with the idea of adding in the Shouted lines from the Audience Participation portion of the movie. A couple might be a bit fast, but this is also the first time I used the media generator in Vegas to do text, prior to this I was making title cards in photoshop. But I got to where I could read them mostly without pausing and I am dyslexic so I am hoping that means normal people will have little trouble, Thanks to which I had a typo that I discovered by accident (and my beta testers didn't tell me about) that is now corrected.
This concept was partially inspired by another video I watched a long time ago that itself was inspired by Mystery Science Theater 3000 (and maybe some others I am not recalling either). **EDIT** It was Mystery Yaoi Theator 3000...**
I tried to keep the feel of Midnight Showing of Rocky so even where I had to modify some of the lines to fit the video better I did my best to keep the same style, and feeling.
That said, ***WARNING!***
This Video has been rated {R} by the Video Rating system of Me, for Language and Disturbing Concepts.

I am still learning on the transitions and fx, so some may not be as clean as they could be, but I really like the way some of them came out.

On my last video I did a search for recommendations for video format, and the WMV one was suggested as a preferred form, and so I used that, and it worked well for me, almost no degradation of video quality and a manageable file size. I have since learned that there are some who dislike this format so much that it will cause them to automatically give it a 1 or 2 rating, I tried many other forms since then, but all of them have caused issues with the video rendering, either making it harder to read the subtitles or leaving gaps between clips, or other issues, I guess 4 gig of ram isn't enough for rendering an 8gig uncompressed 3 min file correctly, so if I want a clean copy, I have to do what I have to do.
So if you are one of those people, who really dislike this format, then, please, either skip this one, or just watch the preview...

But, despite the low ratings, I have enjoyed making this one, so much so that I have intentions of doing more in a series, though unless I can find a better way to do masking I may have to change shows for that (or just mix and match scenes, but I didn't want to really do that)... but that is a debate for another day I suppose.

You can see my others on my page of course. This one and the one before it are WMV the first 3 were smaller so I was able to render them as uncompressed and then convert to xvid. (I tried converting the wmv to xvid but it loused up the video too)...

Oh well I have babbled on long enough...
I hope you enjoy, and if not, then let me know why so I can keep it in mind for the next project...

Thank you all.

EkaCoralian
Org Profile

Re: The Soul Warp

Post by EkaCoralian » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:42 pm

I thought this was actually pretty clever. xD I think you could've chosen something a little more fast-paced for the first chorus of 'Let's do the time warp again'; just the clips of Stein and Medusa at the gala were kinda slow (even though it at least referred to dancing). I also say that because your other clips for the choruses had pretty much nothing to do with dancing, soo. xD
The one thing I honestly could not get into with this video was the text you put in throughout the entire thing. They were distracting as anything and I think I would've enjoyed it a lot more without them, to be honest. =s

But nitpicks aside, this was a fun idea. xD Nice work.

TheDevian
Org Profile

Re: The Soul Warp

Post by TheDevian » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 pm

As for the first scene you mentioned I had intended to do something faster, I threw that in as a filler, but ended up leaving it because it was, as it said, an actual time warp in the cannon of the show. (saddest part is, like some of the others ones I used, that one is sped up to 300% speed, just learned how to do that one this video)

The subs were there as a nod to the Rocky Horror Movie, My goal was to re-live that feeling of campiness. I actually wanted to make them optional, but I haven't figured out how to encode it as an mkv (or ogg or whatever) as of yet. Maybe one of these days, I will probably have to expand beyond Vegas for that though... but it's probably too late then for that project... Going to have to do some research for that.

Might have also helped if I had seen the rest of the series at that point, was only just over half way through when I started making this.

The last one was at a ball, though they were not dancing at the time, but there isn't much in the way of dancing in this show.

Thank you for commenting, I will keep those thoughts in mind on the next project, any input is appreciated!
=Dev

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”