Nerv's Glee Club - Winner Audience Best In Show At Fanime

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Skrasis
Org Profile

Nerv's Glee Club - Winner Audience Best In Show At Fanime

Post by Skrasis » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Our newest video has finally been uploaded to our site, click the banner below to watch.

It won best in category and best in show at Fanime 2011, won best in category at AnimeNext and Anime Mid-Atlantic and was a finalist at Anime Expo in the AMTV-Pro category.

Enjoy!

Org Profile:

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Re: Nerv's Glee Club

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:19 pm

I was entertained. :) I wasn't a fan of the Lady Gaga part of it though, but I really liked the rest of it. :)

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Nerv's Glee Club - Winner Audience Best In Show At Fanim

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:11 pm

I can't not weigh in on this.

Journey segment: Lyric synched and well executed enough to keep up our interest, though the sudden transition at the end caught people off guard.

Bad Romance segment: I didn't really get the effect with the duplication. Still amusing though (and better than other videos I've seen with this song).

Bohemian Rhapsody segment: This might have been the best one -- you had us all thinking "no, there's no way they're going to try to do this concept better than ShonenDizzyCow already did it 10 years ago", but then you cut it short as if to say "yeah, just kidding guys".

Any Way You Want It segment: An Asuka fan, are you? I didn't get the connection to the song, but it was still well done and energetic enough to match the music.

Overall: I have a feeling I would have found this video funnier if I hadn't already seen Eva 2.0 -- I'm talking about scenes like Asuka kicking Shinji in the face and Kaji getting up all in his personal space. They're hilarious if you don't see them coming, but if you've seen them before, the music didn't really add anything to them.

... and I still think this should have been in Comedy at AnimeNEXT. :P
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:06 pm

I couldn't get it to play properly :( Please D/L Link or Youtube?

Skrasis
Org Profile

Post by Skrasis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:05 am

Sorry for the delayed response, I think I'm still recovering from AX :beer: :beer: :pizza:
Scintilla wrote:
Journey segment: Lyric synched and well executed enough to keep up our interest, though the sudden transition at the end caught people off guard.
The first transition was actually one of the very last things we put into the video before it was done, quite literately days before the Anime Expo deadline. Originally it was set up that the two songs would just cross fade into one another. However, visually it didn't make sense. The BoRap part already had a visual cue, the tape player.

The first song change didn't have a visual cue we just launched into the Bad Romance sequence. The record slow down effect worked but needed a visual cue. We came up with CC Scatter effect in AE I believe.

It didn't come out how I would have liked it but we ran out of time to find a better solution. The other reason for transition was that we needed to end the first Journey segment at some point. We chose to do it after the first chorus.
Scintilla wrote:
Bad Romance segment: I didn't really get the effect with the duplication. Still amusing though (and better than other videos I've seen with this song).
The duplication was again done due to time constraints. We had other ideas for this "club sequence" as we called it with the flash lights etc. We envisioned having each strobe flash have a different character turning behind Shinji.

As we looked for these parts in the movie it turns out most of the characters were way more animated. Asuka as it turns out usually flailed around quite a bit and would have taken much longer to mask so that's why she wasn't included in the original edit.

We had 3 we could work with towards the end of the deadline but had way more strobes than people so we skipped a strobe then repeated the sequence to keep everything even. We plan on going back and adding more people to the background.
Scintilla wrote:
Bohemian Rhapsody segment: This might have been the best one -- you had us all thinking "no, there's no way they're going to try to do this concept better than ShonenDizzyCow already did it 10 years ago", but then you cut it short as if to say "yeah, just kidding guys".
And it worked perfectly.

Scintilla wrote:
Any Way You Want It segment: An Asuka fan, are you? I didn't get the connection to the song, but it was still well done and energetic enough to match the music.

Overall: I have a feeling I would have found this video funnier if I hadn't already seen Eva 2.0 -- I'm talking about scenes like Asuka kicking Shinji in the face and Kaji getting up all in his personal space. They're hilarious if you don't see them coming, but if you've seen them before, the music didn't really add anything to them.
This sequence was a complete and total mash up of everything. We were mostly going for visual cues and the flow of the music to each scene change looked nice.

Having the car come flying at you then to go right to Asuka kicking Shinji wasn't meant to be something profound about the movies it was meant to give the viewer something interesting to look at, same thing goes with the Kaji part.

The whole last part was really meant to be an Any Way You Want it, it can be funny or action or anything.
Scintilla wrote:
... and I still think this should have been in Comedy at AnimeNEXT. :P
Not having seen most of the AnimeNext videos it's hard to say how the audience reacted to our video, if they thought it was more funny than just say fun. We were trying really hard to not make it a comedy / AMV Hell style. We wanted it to be upbeat and fun. It does have a few funny moments but it wasn't meant to be a comedy.

There are plenty of parts we want to improve upon but this was the version we were able to complete by the deadline.
pan_dbgt01 wrote: I couldn't get it to play properly :( Please D/L Link or Youtube?
We haven't had anyone say they can't view our videos. Are you able to view any of our other videos? Do you have flash installed etc?

Pie Row Maniac
Org Profile

Post by Pie Row Maniac » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:39 am

As a result of not having seen many of the Eva movies yet, I was able to enjoy a majority of this thing. It was a good ride. I enjoyed the experimenting of effects, even if it does come with the consequence of looking inconsistent in style, but even that can be over-looked. I really dug this. :) :up:
Image Image

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:59 pm

It took a long time to load. I got kind of fed up up waiting. Even the non HD took a long time.

Minimoto
Org Profile

Post by Minimoto » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Liked this at AX and still now.

First segment: Not bad, nothing super special but it was good.
Second segment: I didn't like this one. I did not get the reason for the duplicates and also at the last scene, where Kaoru is talking, it looks like his mouth is a little off but maybe that's my imagination.
Last two segments: Both were a good finisher for the video.

I enjoyed it more when I watched it at the con but still like it.
Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Milking popular songs much? :mrgreen:

Saw this at AX... I go to karaoke pretty often, so I was miffed to hear two Journey songs and Bohemian Rhapsody in one video. However, it was edited quite well. I agree with others that the duplication thing seemed really awkward, but that was the only major problem that stood out to me.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”