Mirroring/Hosting - Faux Cyber Systems - Free - Unknown Time

This forum is for informing everyone else about special deals on stuff to buy like DVDs, cheap hard drives, blank CDs on sale, etc.
Magusuri
Org Profile

Mirroring/Hosting - Faux Cyber Systems - Free - Unknown Time

Post by Magusuri » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:51 pm

FCS is offering free mirroring and hosting on their servers. There are unquestionably going to be general restrictions on file size and such, but yeah, if you need a page, site or some such, or need another place to host an AMV, go bother them. It's not a trial, not a "Ha Ha three months later and NOW YOU MUST PAY" thing... no cash or identity 'verification' required. Meh, just go to this page for more info.

-Magusuri
------------------------------------------------------
Mah Web Site
Warning: Flame-proof. Inflammatory remarks elicit humorous responses.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Re: Mirroring/Hosting - Faux Cyber Systems - Free - Unknown Time

Post by godix » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:18 am

Considering that page timed out on me, I'm not thinking this is that reliable a host.

Magusuri
Org Profile

Re: Mirroring/Hosting - Faux Cyber Systems - Free - Unknown Time

Post by Magusuri » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:53 am

It's a newer hosting service, or else we'd be charging. There are some bumps, as the server is through a VPS service provided by another provider, which occasionally has nodes in it's shared datacenter that are affected by DoS attacks and the like. Laymans Terms: In the $0-$35 USD price bracket, it's a normal risk of operation. You're not talking about Rackspace here. You're speaking of a free to use mirroring solution available to anyone. I can speak of quite a few pay to use sources with more restrictive limits and even lower uptime.

And for anyone wondering, downtime was from 07:48:01 PM PDT to 11:27:49 PM PDT for a total of 3h 39m 48s downtime.
The problem was a Denial of Service attack on another site in the datacenter, forcing the center to reboot a number of nodes, and our node's reboot script failed. Once it was brought to our attention, we fixed it. Ta-da!

And while I'm on the subject, preliminary tests show that everything regarding the general functionality of the Mirroring is functioning well. If you do notice any other problems, feel free to post either here or on our forums, or PM/Email me, because we can't improve without testing.

Thanks,
-Magusuri

P.S. godix
Regarding the content of your post, please refrain in the future from making overtly inflammatory posts. if you see an issue, please let us know about it, but please refrain from flaming our service without even trying the service out. ^_^ If anyone would like to try the mirroring for a period of time and report on total downtime and such, in other words formulating a substantiated review, I'd <3 you foreva.
------------------------------------------------------
Mah Web Site
Warning: Flame-proof. Inflammatory remarks elicit humorous responses.

Return to “Heads Up!”