Your target audience

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
x_rex30
Org Profile

Your target audience

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:05 am

When I first started making videos, I didn't make them for other anime fans. I felt they are good advertisement. I made my first video mainly for non amv crowds just to stir up some curiosity.. never started for you guys(I said started OK. now Sharin' is pretty fun.)

Even now, I feel I had ideas of making certain videos that would appeal to the non amv, non anime crowds. Now my main focus is the anime and amv crowd. But I still would like to make an amv that would appeal to the average person. I know it is possible. My first video I made I focused highly on rocking art and animation. I did have some people curious about the art and animation that comes from Japan. I use to defend anime back in the day because everyone I knew that didn't like it thought it was all like Pokemon and Sailormoon. And pointy noses and big eyes. Though anime companies and artists insist on keeping that focus to this day which makes it even harder to get other people to give it a chance.. If you know what I mean.

I can tell most editors here seem to care more about the anime crowd and pleasing them. And I guess pleasing themselves as well, by doing character profile amvs, drama videos with a story to it when you are suppose to have an idea about the anime to begin with to understand what the video is going for.

So who did you have in mind at first when it came to making amvs?

And currently do you try to appeal to outsiders of anime, or do you only try to appeal to just the anime/amv crowd? Or both? For me, it all depends. Sometimes when I make a video, I have mainly amv fans in mind, other times I make a video with hopes that both anime and non anime fans may like. Other times the focus is on non anime fans. When I make videos more focused on non anime fans, those are the videos I like most anyways. Because I want to make angelic videos and deeply emotional videos that focus deeply on scenery and facial expressions. Those are the videos that focus much more highly on how a song is vocalized and how the song makes you feel. I think about how the song makes you feel and then try to strengthen the feel the song gives you by making the visuals add icing on the cake.

I am honestly sick of videos that seem to only focus on making current anime fans happy. Videos like these often lack true emotion. They are mainly fanservice. It's like those fan made parodies that are so popular at conventions. Try to show those videos to a person who doesn't really care for anime. Even a lot of anime fans don't really get those videos. They are IMO mainly fan service for the ultra geeky anime lovers.

So if you'd like, share your target audience. Even post a video that has a very specific target audience and explain whose eyes it was meant for besides yourself. I may share later who I had in mind with some of my amvs.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: Your target audience

Post by Bauzi » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:56 am

Me, myself and I

For now it's pretty much the people who share my taste of aesthetic and music. I want to portrait situations, feelings and tell some story. Create stories and situations that I imagine with a song. Anime are just a footage. That said, I don't really feel like I want to make simple character profiles of animes. Maybe the source can't really excite me for such things anymore. Right now I watch an anime, because I hope that I get some scenes for my video out of it. I wouldn't watch the anime if I wouldn't have this project for sure. Especially when I think that the first 5 episodes sucked... :/

My crowd is definatly not the general anime fan. I notice this at local cons. Editors do like my videos, but there are so many people who just don't feel a lot for my videos and I can understand them. I'm not an otaku. I won't make something ubber geeky like Chii's Caramel Dansen video or a video with simple j-pop.

When I began with this hobby I pretty much just made amvs with no target audience behind it. Than I made it more for editors and myself and now... well only for myself.

I think that my amvs are still more related to the anime and amv crowd. I don't think that many people outside this circle would be interested into my videos. After stepping back from too tight editing and overuse of effects, I think that my videos are also more interesting for the casual amv watcher crowd.

In before: "If you do it for yourself, why do you actually publish them and care about comments?"
,because I like to share my work and want to see what other people think about them and if I get some positive comments and stuff well that just doubles the fun ;D

That's how I see my audience for my 3 latest popular vids:

For editors. In your face effects, tight fast editing. Only for people who are used to amvs.

For people intersted in atmosphere and creepiness. The editing and pace is much more slower and therfor also for casual amv watchers. Effects to enhance the atmosphere. High focus on atmosphere and mood.

More obvious concept that is easier to follow. Many people interpret it not the way I mean this video, but it is fine. A film gets completed in the viewers head, right? Effects for concept. Less editing. Again: also for casual viewers. For fans of the anime.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:11 am

Personally, I usually don't like videos where you have to have seen the series to get what's going on. That's poor execution of concept (or a shitty concept). I try to stick with alternate storyline, out of context, almost fanfic-like usurpation of characters for a story independent of (or at the very least not strictly true to) the anime itself. If you can manage to keep a general story going that's explained through the action on screen and doesn't require knowledge (good action videos tend to do this a lot, bad ones come off like dance videos), you're going to have broad appeal and it'll be about your talent and execution more than about audience fanboi celebration.

I tend to dislike the fanboi pandering stuff as well, but a lot of the good stuff tends to skirt the fence on what it's actually doing. It uses the emotion in the music and clearly defined clips to sound general enough to a non-fan and to tug at those connected baggage heartstrings to get you really into it. Various videos that use several well-known series and an overly emotional song (Jihaku, I Walk Alone, Unbreakable, All Along, etc.) are okay in their own right, but only really work if you have that connection to some of the series within to make them seem great. They are pandering at a whole new level; relying on the mass fanboi appeal of a number of series all at once. It's like the AMV-hell style easy mode for drama/romance/upbeat genres.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:02 pm

None, And probably never will.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Me, myself, and I....

.. and any unfortunate soul who gets caught in the way. :twisted:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:36 pm

... and of course it devolves into an "I edit for me" bawwwwfest. Read the fucking question. If nobody else is your audience, you better not be showing betas to anyone - you have no need to get feedback if you encompass the entirety of your audience.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

ExSphere
Org Profile

Post by ExSphere » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:01 pm

I am my audience. If I really wanted to edit for anime fans I'd pop in some Bleach and Three days grace.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Other AMV editors. (and myself, zomg baaaawwwwww)
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:44 pm

ExSphere wrote:I am my audience. If I really wanted to edit for anime fans I'd pop in some Bleach and Three days grace.
naruto LP pwnz ur ass |||:

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Very random topic derailing post there gotegenks

Return to “General AMV”