So have you made the videos you have always wanted?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
x_rex30
Org Profile

So have you made the videos you have always wanted?

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Me? Hell no. Not even close.

Also

What obstacles hold you back?

My opinions about myself are boring so I will spoiler tag myself. Share yourself if you want.

Spoiler :
So have I made the videos I have always wanted?

No not even close. Here are my road blocks.. *I shrunk the text on the things where I found others would just be annoyed or less interested.*

I'm lazy, I'm easily discouraged, I can't edit for that long and I'm impatient. Great recipe for not being able to get anywhere with your videos. Not to say I haven't had gaps of great patients to make a video.

I haven't proven it, but when I have had the ideas, I didn't have the resources to make something that I thought would be top rated in the amv community. *sigh* But often when I did have the resources, I would became lazy and annoyed with a lot of stuff. So not much of an excuse to most eyes I know.

I had a video I worked on that I think would of been thought as one of the best violent AMVs, but never could finish it because I ran out of scenes of people getting body parts twisted. And if I even found the right scenes to finish it, I would want to redo the video to have optimum video quality.(don't have a lossless version of what I finished)

When I started I lacked the resources to make videos but out of what clips and amvs I download, I would make videos with some of the worst visual quality you have seen. Though people I have shown, even people that didn't really care about me or ignored me seem to act like they liked the videos I would make, even non anime people would like them. Some of these videos I never posted because of the file sizes of them or because of the visual quality, and the fact that I did use scenes from amvs. Never looked up a guide because I did get things moving along and working. Never spent time looking up guides until 2004(been making videos since 2000).

The only good looking video I made in the first two years was my first one because of the equipment I had at school. Only knew how to transfer through tape, so I copied my dvds to tape, put it on their computer, made the video, put it back on tape, then put it back on dvd, then from dvd compressed it for online, and posted it on this site years later.

I used a downloaded akira to make promises.. and finally after that, I started to get serious with using proper tools.. dvds, vdub, xvid, etc..

Some of my favorite videos I've seen, I have thought I could do better, but who doesn't feel that way.

As of now.. I don't watch anime anymore, my ideas no longer come to me as clear and it's rare that I get boosts of creativity in imagining amvs(maybe I'm just discouraged).. probably more to do with self talk than what I'm actually capable of. Also had some fall outs with some editors works I appreciated, and because I make such dumb associations, when amvs came to mind, I would just get frustrated and make associations that destroyed my ability to sit back, relax, enjoy music and visualize anime to the music. That's what you really need to make good videos. Negative feelings ended up being associated with my thoughts of amvs. *shakes head at self* I know these reasons are stupid to run away from this amv world. :nono:

As an editor, I feel like I'm fading. It makes me upset that some of my videos never saw the light of day(but maybe they will)

So yeah, who knows what I can't and can do, but I know what videos I want to see and people are not making them. And then I would rather be able to make other people make the videos than make them myself. :sweat:

I have experimented, but it's frustrating to edit when so much can go wrong. Like I have a history of project files ending up not working anymore and having to redo the same video ten times because of the that and trying to remember what I did. Hell also had times where when I try to render a video, a lot of the scenes are not visible(this is more like 8 or more years ago though)

I have to give you guys a cheers who have the patients with this hobby. :up: I wish I can be one of you, because there are videos I want to be made, but I guess the best I can do is sit back and admire your efforts and patients. Working with scripts, going through DVDs, making them lossless, rendering your amv, re-rendering to test rendering results, working on effects, getting support(my family and friends don't like AMVs, only few people I know in real life like them and haven't got to know much amv editors), spending months on a video, working out your ideas, finding work arounds.. it amazes me.

If I can get dedicated to this hobby like I have my health, I would have maybe made the videos that I want to see made and done them quite well.

James Sharp
Org Profile

Re: So have you made the videos you have always wanted?

Post by James Sharp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:32 pm

I am in kind of the same boat that you are. However in my past it was not myself keeping me from doing this. it was my hectic lifestyle.

I would have loved to get into making great amv's whenever i want to but in the past that was not in the cards for me.

But i always felt a strong draw for this because its a way to express yourself.

So every now and then i would sit at my computer and try to make a video.

Not like most the amazing pros here do. when i make a video its clumsy and pathetic. I rip my heart out and slap it on the computer.

In all reality that is the only way i draw inspiration to actually do any video. i have to feel something strong within myself literally forcing me to try to express it.

However i have gained a bit more freedom in my life currently and i am looking forward to learning everything i can about making good amv's on a regular basis.

I am really starting to enjoy the whole production aspect of things.

And the only time i will have ever made the video i have always wanted is when my video makes people literally break down and cry. thats my goal.
Close calls are always the most exciting. Coming close is always the most dissapointing.

My newest vid:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... =3&t=98816
I welcome any and all advice on how i can improve

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Three words.

Deadlines produce compromises.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Some of them. I keep getting other ideas though that push the ones I haven't made off of the front burner.

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 pm

James Sharp wrote:I am in kind of the same boat that you are. However in my past it was not myself keeping me from doing this. it was my hectic lifestyle.

I would have loved to get into making great amv's whenever i want to but in the past that was not in the cards for me.

But i always felt a strong draw for this because its a way to express yourself.

So every now and then i would sit at my computer and try to make a video.

Not like most the amazing pros here do. when i make a video its clumsy and pathetic. I rip my heart out and slap it on the computer.

In all reality that is the only way i draw inspiration to actually do any video. i have to feel something strong within myself literally forcing me to try to express it.

However i have gained a bit more freedom in my life currently and i am looking forward to learning everything i can about making good amv's on a regular basis.

And the only time i will have ever made the video i have always wanted is when my video makes people literally break down and cry. thats my goal.
my goal too. Maybe we can work together sometime.

You are an inspiration. Giving up is my specialty, in just about everything in life, except for my health. Probably because good results are inevitable if you take the path to good health seriously. And after a while it becomes a joy.

How you explain your efforts make me think that I just got to man up. Thank you for sharing your struggles and your efforts to push through them. It truly has inspired me.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Not only was I able to make the videos I've always wanted, I've made videos beyond my own capabilities. To put it simply, I just never gave up.

I've actually scrapped and given up on alot of ideas, but for every idea I've given up, a better idea came out of it.

Go through all of the good and bad times of editing and what happens outside of editing. If you're still motivated to edit after all of that, you can make the videos you want. :up:
James Sharp wrote: However i have gained a bit more freedom in my life currently and i am looking forward to learning everything i can about making good amv's on a regular basis.

That's a good attitude to have. :up:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks for your input Castor.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:53 pm

i've received good advice about what to do when you get stuck writing, which sounds like the problem you're having with editing.
just write freely without worrying about grammar and making sense and all that. just let all your ideas out on the page. then go back and revise it so it makes sense.

i've tried this a bit with editing, sometimes i randomly throw scenes on to the timeline and it can be turned into an interesting segment of the amv.

but i still have videos i want to make but have yet to make. i'll eventually get to what my free time allows me to get to. but i don't think i'll stop thinking of new amv ideas until the day i die.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:25 pm

Lack of editing skill + a fairly short attention span + a fear I won't do the concept justice = perpetual production hell.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Vivaldi wrote:Lack of editing skill + a fairly short attention span + a fear I won't do the concept justice = perpetual production hell.
Pretty much this. :uhoh:

Actually, I plan to hopefully remedy this this next week... >___>

Return to “General AMV”