At what point is constructive criticism no longer useful?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

At what point is constructive criticism no longer useful?

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:21 pm

This is actually less a question for everyone out there than it is an observation I've made over the past year or so.

Basically, there came a point in my life as an editor (around a year and a half ago, when I finished Hold On) where I no longer needed people telling me how to improve my AMVs. Don't misunderstand - I'm not saying I make perfect AMVs now, or anything so vain, but rather that I have my own standards and other people telling me what to improve doesn't really mean anything to me.

To prevent this from becoming another boring "edit for yourself, not others" kind of discussion, let me clarify further, because I believe that no matter how much you make a video for yourself, if you release it to the public you have some innate desire (no matter how small) to impress others. I don't care about that, so when I say "I have my own standards", I mean to say that I know what looks good and I know what doesn't. I've been editing for three-and-a-half years now, I've seen enough videos and made enough of my own that no one needs to tell me "You need to sync here" or "This scene doesn't really match those surrounding it". In short, I'm technically competent (or at least I like to think so), and all the rest is just a matter of taste.

As a further example, I released a video two days ago, and while it hasn't gotten great reception, pretty much all the criticisms (too much internal sync, music/anime mismatch, pacing) are things that I chose to do deliberately, and are actually the main reasons I like the video so much. Basically, I'm not even receiving constructive criticism anymore, just people telling me why they like/don't like my videos.

So I guess my question is...does anyone else feel this way? Where you don't really need to be told how to make a video anymore?

Conversely, when I download other people's videos and post in their announcement threads, I tend to give constructive criticism based on what I know about that editor. For example, I probably wouldn't post in Ileia's announcement thread saying "You need to do more sync here, here, and here" because she's been making excellent videos since before I even started editing. I would probably say something more along the lines of, "I don't like this video because I feel that there's too little sync here, here, and here". So is it just a matter of language depending on the "level" of editor you're dealing with?

Meh, just a few random things I've been mulling over recently.

Panky
Org Profile

Re: At what point is constructive criticism no longer useful?

Post by Panky » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:44 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:To prevent this from becoming another boring "edit for yourself, not others" kind of discussion, let me clarify further, because I believe that no matter how much you make a video for yourself, if you release it to the public you have some innate desire (no matter how small) to impress others.
Funny enough, my first AMV was for sure only edited for myself. I was experimenting, but at the same time I wanted to get a whole video together; and as I didn't know the Org neither I had the desire to put it on the Tube, I can pretty much say that I just wanted to get it done for myself.
Honestly, I can't tell if it was the same with videos released after that one, maybe I started making it with a new little desire of showing it off that would be getting even bigger after doing more AMV's, while I still wanted to make it for myself. But it might be what happens when you take the hobby a little more "seriously", I guess. Maybe, on one of those AMV's that I made after the first one but never seen the light and got deleted/lost, I might had the same desire than in the first one, but at the same time I never thought they were worth enough to show them off.
CrackTheSky wrote:So I guess my question is...does anyone else feel this way? Where you don't really need to be told how to make a video anymore?
It's not that there is a whole truth behind making AMV's, we only know that quality problems are the only ones that you can mark out with 100% of accuracy. The other ones, it just depends. You might like the music, might not like the anime, might not like the combination of both, but it depends. I remember getting a few people telling me to do something other way, but just because I thought it was fine how it was, I would keep it that way. If you like it, it would be good to keep it that way. If you are confused about the outcome, then it would be cool to get advice on how to get it done.
CrackTheSky wrote:"You need to do more sync here, here, and here" because she's been making excellent videos since before I even started editing. I would probably say something more along the lines of, "I don't like this video because I feel that there's too little sync here, here, and here".
Exactly what I always try to do. You can say something sucks to you, but not that it really sucks. It's that subjective. Like when saying if AMV's are art, art is subjective, that's the whole thing.
CrackTheSky wrote:To prevent this from becoming another boring "edit for yourself, not others" kind of discussion
Edit for yourself :lol:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:54 pm

I came to something similar to this long long ago. When I started on the org, I was honestly helpful. I gave constructive criticism in feedback and was legitimately on the best op giver list and all that shit. Then I kinda realized most people don't want constructive criticism. They want to be told how great they are. So the only reason to comment on other peoples videos is to amuse yourself because they sure don't care. So these days if someone comes to me actually asking for feedback, like a beta or something, I'll give it but random vids I watch I just assumes the editor doesn't care and say whatever amuses me at the time.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:04 pm

I basicaly ignore my beta testers, but that doesn't mean what they tell me isn't true. I just... ignore them. And when I do inevitably all the qcs complain about the same thing lol. So, maybe I'm not 'up to your lvl' or anything... not to say your bragging just saying I never took amving as my primary goal in life or anything close really. I'm serious about it, just not SO serious to dilude me into thinking these skills will help me in the REAL WORLD (no offense to Castor or Beo or whoever but most of my relevent skills where learned on me via doom9 not here) so basically I don't give a rip!

Now I'd be inclined, answering the question at hand, to say you start ignoring criticism once you gain that attitude. But part of that is realizing that none of this matters. Basically you lost your enthusiasm. Didn't lose your motivation! But lost your enthusiasm. Try not to lose your enthusiasm cuz what your criticizers tell you, 9 times out of 10, is true. But every so often I like to make that video 'for me'. I still 'beta test' it.... but basically only hear my beta testers. I ignore them for the most part :). Does it come back to bite me in the butt?? Heck yeah it does lol but everybody likes that... 'stimulation' from time to time lol.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:08 pm

I've noticed myself reacting similar to godix's post on this, but a lot of the time I try to post (what would be) constructive criticism (to me) anyway so that I can practice articulating my thoughts better.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:09 pm

"Only a fool knows everything. A wise man knows how little he knows."

-- Confucious... maybe Oscar Wilde Some guy anyway. Maybe a girl.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm with godix a bit on this as well. It's useless when you're not willing to take it, plain and simple.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:08 pm

didn't read the rest of the posts...

I think it's a matter of exploring yourself and on your self esteem for your skills. When you know what you want and how you can achieve it without cheesy (subjective) stuff like jerky editing than you probably get into this state. For myself I don't really plan on letting people betatest my videos.

The only reason I would let them test it:
-To find out if they can understand what I'm trying to tell in the video. If they can't than I probably should make things different.
-To hear what other people suggest about more complex fx and their design. There is often place to improve.

I recognize opinions about the videos, accept the different tastes, but often I wouldn't have made it different. It's like a scene in one of my newest videos (which I already advertised enough for the VCAs...) which is just too long for many viewers. It often got pointed out. I always knew that some people might dislike it, but in the end I didn't want this scene in any other way.

Everybody needs help at the beginning, but I think there is a time when you can really start to stand on your own feet and feel confident about it.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:13 pm

I actually don't think Godix is even answering this question I mean Crack is saying 'he tires of TAKING criticism' Godix is saying 'he tires of GIVING criticism'

Seriously either Godix doesn't know WTF he's talking about in this instance or I don't know WTF I'm talking about. Probably the latter, but I wish other ppl would just think. I mean I can see noobs doing this, but...

I have issue with what Godix says anyway. I mean how can you tire of giving criticism really?? You just gotta give it in a different way is all.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:20 pm

I pretty much got to that point a few years ago. Most of the critism i get, i usually ignore because the majority of it is about my style of editing and I really don't care to change it. I make a video how i want to make it. When i venture into other "Styles" or experiment with new ideas, then I will take the criticism more seriously because it's something new and there are other editor who have more experience with that.

Return to “General AMV”