PAYMVs!

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

PAYMVs!

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:33 am

Lame title aside, I wanted to bring to the org a discussion that came up on the italian amv site. Basically we were discussing about fair use, amvs being legal or illegal, related stuff and whatnot, and then I was like "hey, what if they introduced a tax that allows you to edit and distribute remix culture stuff legally under certain conditions?"... and so yeah, discuss? :amv:

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: PAYMVs!

Post by Bauzi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:39 am

We shouldn't have to pay for our creative outputs. No. Just no.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:15 am

Bauzi wrote:We shouldn't have to pay for our creative outputs. No. Just no.
Well, in Italy AMVs almost* aren't even grey area... between getting jailed for a year, and just paying a yarly tax to do it legally, I'd prefer to do it legally, if the possibility was given. :P

*There are one or two arguments in favor, but the biggest bulk of the arguments would say that it's plainly illegal.

osnar
Org Profile

Post by osnar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:21 am

Bauzi wrote:We shouldn't have to pay for our creative outputs. No. Just no.
amvs are our creative outputs, but the source we use are note made by ourselves... imho a little tax is not that problem, if is "little".

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 am

Whatever.

What's wrong if you advertise the source and don't get ANY profit out of it and other's work? There is nothing wrong with it and it harms nobody. In fact it helps with free advertising. That's why I see no reason at all to pay a tax.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am

Bauzi wrote:Whatever.

What's wrong if you advertise the source and don't get ANY profit out of it and other's work? There is nothing wrong with it and it harms nobody. In fact it helps with free advertising. That's why I see no reason at all to pay a tax.
Video is pretty much of no harm, but audio definitely is. I like to release my vids with the highest quality I can (even flac audio whenever possible). Someone couldMost people will just download my video, demux the audio (or alternatively just play the amv in the background without caring about the video), and call it job done, so that's not fine to the owner of the rights of the music. By paying some tax, they'd get some money out of it so issue solved.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:44 am

mirkosp wrote:or alternatively just play the amv in the background without caring about the video
That's a valid argument for me. Pirating songs with amvs is not a big deal in my opinion, because:
1. Not everybody is capable of demuxing videos.
2. It's minimal compared to the real threat of p2p and one click hosters.

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:48 am

We should be the ones getting payed for advertising their lazy arses.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 am

Emotive wrote:We should be the ones getting payed for advertising their lazy arses.
Maybe. Why not.

I can't buy something that I don't know. I won't buy something that I didn't listened to before. Real fans buy the sources if they are real fans. Or they buy merchandise and go to concerts. That's just how it goes today: You have a lot of music that you don't care too much and you're favourite music that you bought. Or you saw a nice CD for 10 bucks and bought it. I don't think that you buy random cds for 15 bucks or more. I would more likely give a random artist 15 bucks out of my own will because he is sharing his songs for free over the net.

The internet has enormous potential for marketing. Just look at all those artists that get discovered threw the net. Like this little Justin Bieber kid. Look at Perry Gripp who SHARES his songs via the net and some sort of Open Source policy. I has fame, he has fans, he has success and he probably has the money too.

Trent Reznor (NIN) saw the quite enormous potential and used it. Free cds, a whole BIG website for remixes of his songs (remix.nin.com), cds with fan remixes, whole blu ray discs of live concert that made THE FANS of his music... It's like the title of a fan NIN remix album: The Limitless Potential

Fuck the industry for pushing only stuff like Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber in the mainstream media. Media like us is left to push and advertise all those artists that are left behind. Indusrty should be better thankful for all the thousands of dollars that I invested into the hobby and media related to the hobby. As said: I can't invest money into stuff that I don't know. I discovered so many of my favourite artists and shows over AMVs and the internet.
So the industry is angry for me that I didn't invested my money into Lady Gaga or what? FUCK YOU!

God I'm so pissed now. :?

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:25 am

You're the mod-god mirk, you tell us!

Return to “General AMV”