The 'Tube is using my AMV for advertising - anyone else?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
nevada11
Org Profile

Re: The 'Tube is using my AMV for advertising - anyone else?

Post by nevada11 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 am

Old news bro. Google makes 98% of its profit through advertisement

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 am

I wonder if this is their idea to try and keep the 'tube from completely tanking the whole company. I remember reading that the bandwidth costs associated with running it were making the creators hemorrhage funds, and even though Google bought them out, I think the costs were still prohibitively high, even for them. They'd have to do something to keep it afloat, but I'm not sure if this can really do that.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:26 am

Qyot27 wrote:I wonder if this is their idea to try and keep the 'tube from completely tanking the whole company. I remember reading that the bandwidth costs associated with running it were making the creators hemorrhage funds, and even though Google bought them out, I think the costs were still prohibitively high, even for them. They'd have to do something to keep it afloat, but I'm not sure if this can really do that.
If that's the case, I am a-okay with YouTube just dying. I don't visit it enough on a daily basis to miss it if were gone.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:38 am

Tube... I have fear :uhoh:
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:23 am

So, I just uploaded 4 videos to the tube. On each one they sent me an emailing saying that the music was owned by either Sony or WMG. The video using WMG music was pulled right away; the ones with Sony music where allowed to stay and had the ad placed on them. :book: Leason: Sony good, WMG evil.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Kionon wrote:If that's the case, I am a-okay with YouTube just dying. I don't visit it enough on a daily basis to miss it if were gone.
While it's pretty worthless and redundant as far as being a go-to source for AMVs, and a good 80% of its videos are fairly worthless and unoriginal vanity projects (or misguided vendettas of the personal and political), it still fits a niche that the Internet always needed and provides a worthy outlet of creative expression for thousands of people every day.

Not to mention that it's provided a platform for covering issues that the media cannot or simply chooses not to touch. Remember any of this from 2 months ago?

http://mashable.com/2009/06/20/iran-youtube/

I guess my point is that our individual experiences of it are pretty small compared to what it means to the world at large.

Reoer
Org Profile

Post by Reoer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:35 pm

JudgeHolden wrote:So, I just uploaded 4 videos to the tube. On each one they sent me an emailing saying that the music was owned by either Sony or WMG. The video using WMG music was pulled right away; the ones with Sony music where allowed to stay and had the ad placed on them. :book: Leason: Sony good, WMG evil.
Not sure if this is old news or what, but it worked on my latest AMV which was WMG related:
1) Go to "My Videos".
2) Select "Resolve Copyright" on the video you are having copyright issues with. OR, go to the video itself and choose "resolve copyright" from there.
3) Scroll down and pick the option "I want to learn more about this dispute process".
4) Scroll down and pick the option "Take me to the dispute form".
5) Pick option #2 and PASTE the following statement into the text bar next to it;

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

6) Fill out the rest of the info on the page. Use your REAL name where it asks for it. Choose "Continue" when all information has been filled out.
7) Scroll down on the next page and select "Submit dispute".

Within 2-3 minutes your video's audio should be back!

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:40 pm

you're lying though... amvs aren't fair use.

Reoer
Org Profile

Post by Reoer » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Pwolf wrote:you're lying though... amvs aren't fair use.
"Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use." I'd consider it non-profit, personal use.

Return to “General AMV”