Passing on the torch?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Passing on the torch?

Post by Castor Troy » Mon May 25, 2009 2:30 am

Kind of similar to this thread, in regards to the old amvs kind of dying out, I'm beginning to notice in most amv contest threads nowadays, I don't know the majority of the people who enter anymore. I'm beginning to notice that most "well known" editors from pre-2003, in fact even pre-2005 are barely making the finals at contests nowadays. Are the older editors too busy with real life stuff or are losing interest?

I don't see myself retiring any time soon, and am grateful that amvs got me a job in the film industry, but I'm beginning to realize that drive and passion I used to have for amvs is no longer there. However, I'm also becoming more content with that feeling. Back in my college days, amvs were literally my "big plans" for the year and I would put alot of things aside just to get amv work done. I consider myself someone who's been through and seen it all from starting small, winning and losing contests, editing with and without effects, etc. I wonder if my experience is a big factor in not feeling as surprised or excited about amvs anymore. I remember back in the day, seeing Euphoria, feeling intimidated and saying "Man I wish I could do that!". Nowadays, I don't even flinch when I see videos that use the latest videocopilot and creative cow tutorials.

I guess I can also feel content that people are still entering contests even though most of us older editors aren't anymore. It's nice to know that amvs will still continue to go on strong even when some of us move on to other things.

Are we finally passing on the torch?
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

LuluandAuron
Org Profile

Re: Passing on the torch?

Post by LuluandAuron » Mon May 25, 2009 3:03 am

Well I'm an older editor ..... older in the sense of age and responsibility. I started editing in 2002 at the age of ..... a lady never reveals her age, but I had 5 kids and a grandson.....I think I took up amving because I needed a new hobby besides having children (I jest by the way).

I can see how someone younger, could lose the time for amving as responsibilities pile up. I took up amving when my responsibilities were very high and used it as 'my time'.

However, I now work in the industry as well. With that, I'm noticing I have to really push for my amv time. I think because I'm always editing....it seems silly to those around me, that I'm editing on my down time as well. But to tell you the truth, I haven't lost that drive yet. It may come one day though.

In part I think it has a lot to do with lurking here, and over the years watch all of you. I remember a thread a few years back that talked about losing your innocence as an editor....I strive daily never to lose that.

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Mon May 25, 2009 3:49 am

Passing the torch? To THOSE kids nowadays?! :down:

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon May 25, 2009 4:22 am

Yeah. Can't agree. NOT a good idea. Are we getting older? Well duh. The young just has more to prove. the elder probly just don't feel they need to enter as many competitions is all... aah to be young at heart.

It also depends on what your target audience is. International folk may find it harder to get the 'needed' exposure without con entrance.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Mon May 25, 2009 4:58 am

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Mon May 25, 2009 6:05 am

Castor Troy wrote:Kind of similar to this thread, in regards to the old amvs kind of dying out, I'm beginning to notice in most amv contest threads nowadays, I don't know the majority of the people who enter anymore. I'm beginning to notice that most "well known" editors from pre-2003, in fact even pre-2005 are barely making the finals at contests nowadays. Are the older editors too busy with real life stuff or are losing interest?

I don't see myself retiring any time soon, and am grateful that amvs got me a job in the film industry, but I'm beginning to realize that drive and passion I used to have for amvs is no longer there. However, I'm also becoming more content with that feeling. Back in my college days, amvs were literally my "big plans" for the year and I would put alot of things aside just to get amv work done. I consider myself someone who's been through and seen it all from starting small, winning and losing contests, editing with and without effects, etc. I wonder if my experience is a big factor in not feeling as surprised or excited about amvs anymore. I remember back in the day, seeing Euphoria, feeling intimidated and saying "Man I wish I could do that!". Nowadays, I don't even flinch when I see videos that use the latest videocopilot and creative cow tutorials.

I guess I can also feel content that people are still entering contests even though most of us older editors aren't anymore. It's nice to know that amvs will still continue to go on strong even when some of us move on to other things.

Are we finally passing on the torch?
Lulz,That did make some sense from i could understand.But i think this is just something normal..10 years from now..same thread could be done by me or any user in the matter..yeh it's normal :amv: *takes torch and run's with joy lmao.

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Mon May 25, 2009 8:16 am

It simple really. The editors you refer to no longer like or watch anime anymore. How can you keep making AMVs when you don't expose yourself to new opportunities? That's how I see it anyway.

Adv1sor
Org Profile

Post by Adv1sor » Mon May 25, 2009 9:41 am

OropherZero wrote:The editors you refer to no longer like or watch anime anymore.
I can't imagine myself ever being in that category.

Sometimes I take a few weeks off from anime. When I've just finished a great series and everything else looks poor by comparison. Then I'll find myself watching FLCL straight through for a few hours and start hunting down some old series I may have missed, or some new one just coming out!

I may stop making AMVs one day, but I can't imagine no longer liking anime.

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Mon May 25, 2009 10:06 am

Adv1sor wrote:
OropherZero wrote:I can't imagine no longer liking anime.
I can, I think Jdrama better than anime at the moment. I've stop watching anime and only been readin the manga. Though I can't see myself stopping at making amvs or editing for that matter.
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

Farlo
expectations of deliberate annihilation
Org Profile

Post by Farlo » Mon May 25, 2009 10:23 am

for me it boils down to a few different things.

i have 2 children, and a full time job. with the little free time i have after spending it with my kids, i dont have a lot of free time left to split on alot of different things.

it doesnt help that its becoming increasingly rare that i can find an anime i enjoy enough to want to map an idea out. and other times, like for the VG5 video i wanted to make, i have the idea and source but i cant seem to get it to come to fruition. not getting a video that i want to make completed also kills my drive for a while.

Return to “General AMV”