Is AMV-making considered an art form?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
dazza1008
Org Profile

Is AMV-making considered an art form?

Post by dazza1008 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Just curious what you guys think. XD Do you consider yourself AMV-artists?

My personal opinion - creations can range from entirely made by the artist (like character designs, etc.) to the artist having absolutely no input (as in the case of stolen art!), so AMVs lie somewhere in the middle since we didn't create the footage - and people have different limits when considering the personal input of the creator before they call something art. (I don't NEED to be called an artist, but it bugs me to have some people's negative opinion shoved down my throat - because it's not recognising the creativity and work/technique involved to create them)

I guess I was thinking about this when this kid posted on the deviantART forums that he would like gaming screenshots to be a proper art category. He got flamed so badly, and I knew there was no way it would happen because of the nature of the material (i.e. fully copyrighted). But he genuinely wanted it (but so his gallery stats would show - he'd have to post in scraps which meant they weren't included >.>) and I was surprised to know that he could take over 200 shots of the same scene, just to get one particular split-second. :shock: And he'd control the four players - I think two with his feet. :D So he was serious about it, and put a lot of time and effort into it (as opposed to people who just got a lucky shot), which made me think of him more as an artist because of the larger input from him.

Possibly related - is this considered a good movie? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhGrA0KwkVg XD (and I'm sure people know about youtube - mentioned for the link to boochsack topic)

TL;DR - read the first paragraph :P

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Re: Is AMV-making considered an art form?

Post by dreamawake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:30 pm

It is. It's also srs bsns

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 pm

I consider AMVs to be as much an art as fanart and fanfiction, and all that entails.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Yes, of course.

What we do is actually somewhat similiar to found art (readymade). We take something thats already existing and re-interpret it.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Watch this. Should answer your question.

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 pm

ArashinomeAMV wrote:

Watch this. Should answer your question.
X2

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:33 pm

I'd say it depends on the purpose that the editor himself had when he made the vid. Like not every picture is art per se, not every amv is art. It really depends on a case by case basis, imho.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Yep, like none of mirkosp's AMVs can be considered art :awesome:

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:04 pm

It depends on your definition of art. I've always defined art as any kind of creative output in whatever medium. If you put imagination and creativity into it, then it's a form of art. Writing is art, music is art. Why not editing?

People seem to put the term art on this holy pedestal, and if something doesn't live up to a certain set of standards than for some reason it's just not "worthy" to be considered art. Personally I think it's a load of crap. I'm not saying that some art is better than others. You can have really shitty art, but it's art nonetheless. So yeah, even random linkin ball z videos are consider art (under my definition). Doesn't make it good.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Fuck yes I consider AMVs an art form. If prints of Marilyn Monroe and Campbell soup cans are considered art, then AMVs are definitely art.

I agree with Brad. People place value judgments on the term "art". It doesn't have to be good to be considered art. Art is like everything else in the world, 90% garbage.

Am I an artist? Damn right :up:

Return to “General AMV”