Is AMV-making considered an art form?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Darkpwns
Org Profile

Re: Is AMV-making considered an art form?

Post by Darkpwns » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:49 am

I'm actually doing a paper on this very topic =O, interesting. But I believe AMVs are works of art. After all if an editor's showreel is considered art then the stuff we make would also fall into that category =P

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:05 am

go pas :O

my illustrious opinion:

is it art when your auntie buys one of those christmas card making kits and arranges the sparkly snowflake stickers and cardboard angels into a composition she finds pleasing?
nope, and same goes for most editing, which is a craft, and a technical exercise.

that's not to say that editing can't go beyond 'craft'. look at chris cunningham or michael gondry. or i'm sure a select few superb editors for film/tv/commercials, etc.
but in the main, editing is a craft, and at a hobbyist level it's pretty silly to consider it de facto art simply because it involves being creative.

anyway, this is probably a dead end, it's going to be the same old 'there is good art and bad art' vs 'it has to be gooood to be art' crap.

it has to be gooood. so ner.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:57 am

blabbler wrote:is it art when your auntie buys one of those christmas card making kits and arranges the sparkly snowflake stickers and cardboard angels into a composition she finds pleasing?
Actually, it "could be", because (if you read Pas's post) she arranged them deliberately. The fact that she uses mass produced kits and uses it doesn't change the fact that she created something new and (probably) original.

Say you take it and use it 200 times. Every time you change just one part. And then make one long wall from it. Did it become an art? In my eyes pretty much. So was the first part of it art? Pretty much so.

As for Chiika, she has an answer in "2. Art as Entertainment. Art may seek to bring about a particular emotion or mood, for the purpose of relaxing or entertaining the viewer. This is often the function of the art industries of Motion Pictures and Video Games."

Yes, movies and theatre are generally considered an art. So why should AMVs not be?

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:59 am

Oh, one more~
blabbler wrote:anyway, this is probably a dead end, it's going to be the same old 'there is good art and bad art' vs 'it has to be gooood to be art' crap.
This is where you are wrong. The art doesn't have to be good, but it's still an art. Moreso, there's even nothing as good and bad art, only "art that appeals to more people" and "art that appeals to less people"

blabbler
Org Profile

Post by blabbler » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 am

heh, my point is there are, broadly speaking, two camps; those who classify anything creative or expressive as art, and those who consider art to be something transcendent.

at the end of the day it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference, there are only opinions. and arguing for something as wishy-washy as 'transcendent' is a pretty futile exercise anyway.

i just don't like the way the term is used so loosely - since by your criteria you may as well apply it to everything, and then what use is it?

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:14 am

This entire thread is art. Prove me wrong.

-GfN-
Org Profile

Post by -GfN- » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 am

not this shit again.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 am

yes

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 am

blabbler wrote:i just don't like the way the term is used so loosely - since by your criteria you may as well apply it to everything, and then what use is it?
Even if the definition was tightened up, what does it matter? It still boils down to if you like AMVs you'll like them regardless if it's art or not. If you don't like them then labeling them as art won't make you like them.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 am

godix wrote:
blabbler wrote:i just don't like the way the term is used so loosely - since by your criteria you may as well apply it to everything, and then what use is it?
Even if the definition was tightened up, what does it matter? It still boils down to if you like AMVs you'll like them regardless if it's art or not. If you don't like them then labeling them as art won't make you like them.
Wait, we were talking about AMVs?

Return to “General AMV”