So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Amatuer
Org Profile

Re: So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

Post by Amatuer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Great tip, at least I can improve when I have read it. But what about a taste for music
I mostly tend to judge good amv by their music since I'm not used to country or R&B or Hiphop etc.

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Amatuer wrote:But what about a taste for music
If me and Kevmaster like it, it's good.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Amatuer wrote:I mostly tend to judge good amv by their music since I'm not used to country or R&B or Hiphop etc.
This makes me sad, the type of music should have nothing to do with how an amv is judged. Country song X isn't any better at getting the mood across than pop song Y. That said, the different genres of music tend to lend themselves better to particular genres of AMVs (If you can make a good romance video using <insert metal subgenre here> then you win at AMVs.) The music serves as a base for the mood and overall feel of the amv.

Shatterd
Org Profile

Post by Shatterd » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Thxs for the upload help i read the whole thing and it was very nice.
Sig coming soon

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Kariudo wrote:
Amatuer wrote:I mostly tend to judge good amv by their music since I'm not used to country or R&B or Hiphop etc.
This makes me sad, the type of music should have nothing to do with how an amv is judged. Country song X isn't any better at getting the mood across than pop song Y. That said, the different genres of music tend to lend themselves better to particular genres of AMVs (If you can make a good romance video using <insert metal subgenre here> then you win at AMVs.) The music serves as a base for the mood and overall feel of the amv.
I agree. It's a good thing to watch all kinds of AMV's of all kinds of genres of music. You never know, you might start liking a new genre. I used to never like anything R&B, but after seeing several videos like Kysiffur's "Number ONe", I started to LOVE the genre.

KarlDV
Org Profile

Post by KarlDV » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:58 am

Wow that is one bad-ass guide the OP provided. The one thing I need tho is motivation cause gathering several videos to edit is no easy task and then I need to sharpen my video editing skills cause I am rusty in that area as well... agrrr sounds like work but I love the final product
Blood is the currency of the soul and the silverplate of the will - Schrodinger!
Cohiba Cigars

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:29 pm

I ran into something that seemed like exactly the type of thing I hoped would get discussed in this thread. So I'll just quote it here. I may write my own opinions on crossfades/hard cuts later but for now I'll just copy & paste what LittleAtari wrote here. If Atari doesn't like that I'm quoting it, well, she can whine at a mod until they delete it or something.
LittleAtari wrote:Fades themselves are not a bad. It's how you use the fades. There are a lot of editors who most of their transitions are fades. Usually, when this is done, it actually makes the editing weaker without the editor realizing it.

Hard cuts come off as a lot more powerful because you're cutting directly from one shot to the next. When you think about it, hard cuts are more traditional. Movies, music videos, etc, mostly use hard cuts.

Fades come off as more organic and softer because you're essentially getting a preview of the next shot, making your video somewhat predictable. Because of this softness that fades give, they can be used more often in slower videos, usually a romance or drama. Still, you shouldn't make it your made transition in those types of videos because you may end up undermining any build up that a hard cut can help you make. Sometimes, we need a quick switch to the next scene.

In the end, a fade is an overlay with an opacity change. It really isnt all that amusing to see two shots at the same time on top of each a lot. When used improperly, fades can make your video predictable and make scenes have less of an impact.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 pm

godix wrote:I ran into something that seemed like exactly the type of thing I hoped would get discussed in this thread. So I'll just quote it here. I may write my own opinions on crossfades/hard cuts later but for now I'll just copy & paste what LittleAtari wrote here. If Atari doesn't like that I'm quoting it, well, she can whine at a mod until they delete it or something.
LittleAtari wrote:Fades themselves are not a bad. It's how you use the fades. There are a lot of editors who most of their transitions are fades. Usually, when this is done, it actually makes the editing weaker without the editor realizing it.

Hard cuts come off as a lot more powerful because you're cutting directly from one shot to the next. When you think about it, hard cuts are more traditional. Movies, music videos, etc, mostly use hard cuts.

Fades come off as more organic and softer because you're essentially getting a preview of the next shot, making your video somewhat predictable. Because of this softness that fades give, they can be used more often in slower videos, usually a romance or drama. Still, you shouldn't make it your made transition in those types of videos because you may end up undermining any build up that a hard cut can help you make. Sometimes, we need a quick switch to the next scene.

In the end, a fade is an overlay with an opacity change. It really isnt all that amusing to see two shots at the same time on top of each a lot. When used improperly, fades can make your video predictable and make scenes have less of an impact.
That said, a 2-4 frame fade on a long note is more appropriate than an abrupt transition in most cases.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:46 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:That said, a 2-4 frame fade on a long note is more appropriate than an abrupt transition in most cases.
It could be possible to make the hard cut start with a higher luma+blur that get back to the normal luma level and no blur in those few frames... something along those lines tends to work just as well in quite a few cases.

qyll
Org Profile

Post by qyll » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:56 pm

Since we're on the subject of fades, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

When I edit, I see fades as the dandelions in my AMV garden. They are boring. They slow the pace of my AMV and lend them a sluggish tempo that I definitely do not want if I'm making an upbeat or action AMV. Hell, even in sentimental or drama AMVs, I try not to spam fades too often. Why do so many new editors find sanctuary in fades? I can venture a guess: because these editors are afraid that they won’t be understood. By bridging two scenes together, they feel that the viewer will appreciate the smooth transition and have more time to digest it. Furthermore, with fades, they feel that they can transition over a set time, so they never really needed to worry about where to start or end the fade that much. That’s a rather wishy-washy style of editing.

Watch some professional music videos. Like LittleAtari said, few fade dandelions grow there. Everything is constructed with cuts and cuts and cuts. They make the video look edgier and more importantly, they keep the viewer’s attention for longer. It’s actually quite a challenge to find a fade in a professional music video. Not so in AMVs. Not to say that every AMV needs to have only straight cuts all the time. After all, professional music videos do not share the exact same set of editing principles as AMVs; but they are damned close.
zzz

Return to “General AMV”