AMV Autobiography

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

Postby downwithpants » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:29 pm

LuluandAuron wrote:In 1997, we got our first computer....a one gig beast that I had trouble even turning on. I'd press the button and then recoil in horror afraid it would break. The biggest file stored on that computer was a 16mb copy of the death scene in FF7.
I discovered Power point, and the fascination of music and scenes was reborn. I'd take pictures and add them into power point then play music along with them.

oh i remember when we got a 2gb 200 mhz pentium. I would dial up on aol and go to these geoshities websites and find wav files from the simpsons and south park to edit. i made a sex remix from the wave files you can extract from warcraft II CD. i ran out of hard drive space just from wave files.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>
downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person

Postby Athena » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:42 pm

downwithpants wrote:oh i remember when we got a 2gb 200 mhz pentium. I would dial up on aol and go to these geoshities websites and find wav files from the simpsons and south park to edit. i made a sex remix from the wave files you can extract from warcraft II CD. i ran out of hard drive space just from wave files.

in 1996, I used compuserv on a packard bell. Oh baby.

I never used it for anime or editing or anything (since my desire to even do stuff like that would not come around until 1998) but still. Compuserv. Oh. Yeah.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby Infinity Squared » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Hmm...

I guess I can't put anything else... since mine has been posted WITHOUT PERMISSION :lol:

Seriously though, this is what I wanted to see when I posted that autobiography on LJ. I was definitely interested to read other people's histories and where their videos fit in to their lives at the time and I thought posting mine first could give people the idea to follow.

/me continues reading.

(there's a lot to read and I intend to read them all)
Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants

Postby Odinsdragondaughter » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:38 pm

I was just intrigued by the knowledge that I could take my favorite anime and add my favorite music to it. Being able to rearrange video clips and still images to tell my own story is an added bonus.
Odinsdragondaughter

Postby LuluandAuron » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 am

downwithpants wrote:
LuluandAuron wrote:In 1997, we got our first computer....a one gig beast that I had trouble even turning on. I'd press the button and then recoil in horror afraid it would break. The biggest file stored on that computer was a 16mb copy of the death scene in FF7.
I discovered Power point, and the fascination of music and scenes was reborn. I'd take pictures and add them into power point then play music along with them.

oh i remember when we got a 2gb 200 mhz pentium. I would dial up on aol and go to these geoshities websites and find wav files from the simpsons and south park to edit. i made a sex remix from the wave files you can extract from warcraft II CD. i ran out of hard drive space just from wave files.

LOL your waves may have been bigger then my one FF7 file. hehehe

I just about died when I discovered amvs that were 50mb + instead of 10 mb....like mine way back when.

Wow as I read more and more, it's such an eye opener to see the real person on the other side of the edits. Finished up to the end of page 5. I keep giggling at the computer and the family is giving me weird looks now.

I almost cried when I read about your stepmom handing you a copy of Premiere Krisqo. Oooo and congrats on the wedding!

Pwolf, I got tears in my eyes reading about your win at Anime Expo 2003!

Finally, I get to Vlads :D I got the long version over coffee, it was great :D
LuluandAuron

Postby Infinity Squared » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 am

I also notice that 2006 seems to be a high point for a lot of people here.
Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants

Postby Pwolf » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:18 am

Infinity Squared wrote:I also notice that 2006 seems to be a high point for a lot of people here.

2003 is where it's at :|
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby Odinsdragondaughter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:25 am

2005 for me, but I didn't finish my first AMV until 2006.
Odinsdragondaughter

Postby dwchang » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:57 am

Pwolf wrote:
Infinity Squared wrote:I also notice that 2006 seems to be a high point for a lot of people here.

I agree with the KING on this one. 2006 in comparison, sucked.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby Castor Troy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:10 am

Even koop says 2006 sucked.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby dwchang » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:51 am

Castor Troy wrote:Even koop says 2006 sucked.

And as we know, to many folks on the org, if Koop said it must be true and hundreds of fanboys (and girls) will repeat it.

End of argument yeye?

ALL HAIL THE KING (PWOLF)
-Daniel
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby Odinsdragondaughter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 am

Heh. I'm not saying 2006 didn't suck. It did. I'm just saying 2005 was the turning point that brought me here because that was the year my marriage ended. I've never had a positive turning point as such. My wedding (1999) and the birth of my son (1999) don't count because those aren't what got me back into looking at anime. My divorce was.

It went something like this: Divorce ---> free of husband ---> went looking for pin-up art of guys ---> found a picture of Gojyo in a cowboy hat ---> discovered Saiyuki ---> got hooked on Saiyuki ---> remembered enjoying the Vampire Hunter D in the 80s. --> got a copy of that --> found out there was a second Vampire Hunter D movie ----> got a copy of that ---> remembered liking the Ninja Scroll movie in the 80s ----> got a copy of that ---> remembered seeing Inuyasha a few times on Cartoon Network whenever the hell that was ----> went looking for that.

I still haven't got past Inuyasha as far as seriously attempting to see a whole series other than Saiyuki and NOTHING ELSE inspires me as much as Saiyuki does. I've seen a few trailers and the freebie episodes on NewType USA demo DVDs. I've half-heartedly watched Bleach, Naruto, and whatever else happens to turn up on Cartoon Network. But I have yet to see anything else that really captures my attention. I'm just weird that way. *shrug*

I don't remember if the Cowboy Bebop AMV with "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" song was the first one I saw or if it was a Saiyuki one I found at an Italian Saiyuki fan site. It doesn't really matter. What matters was that I discovered I had the means to combine my favorite music with my favorite anime as if I were making my own soundtrack then experimenting with the images to get specific results like those funky old music videos from way back when MTV actually played music videos. Ha! Even just playing around with art book pictures and manga scans to get slide show / screen saver style videos amuses me.

Every video I do is dictated by the song even if I start with an idea for a different element. If the song has lyrics then I try to choose images that match the words. So on and so forth. Sure, it's not an original method. But you know what? I don't care. I'm having fun making these for my own pleasure and if someone else enjoys them too that's good enough for me. I'm not here to win popularity contests or prestigious awards. I'm just here to share my love of something. ^_^
Odinsdragondaughter

Postby mexicanjunior » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:21 am

Pwolf wrote:

x2

2003 was by far my best and most productive year...followed by 2005.
mexicanjunior

Postby dwchang » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:16 am

Odinsdragondaughter wrote:Heh. I'm not saying 2006 didn't suck. It did. I'm just saying 2005 was the turning point that brought me here because that was the year my marriage ended.

In all seriousness, take what some of us say with very little well...seriousness. You seem to have a very particular situation with that year and frankly all of us have a special time in our lives. Don't let any of us take that away from you. Frankly most of us are just lurkers who like to troll *cough*.

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES
-Daniel
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Postby Castor Troy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 am

2006 wasn't horrible. I did win awards in 2006....for a video I made in 2005. :P

But as for actually being productive with new ideas, 2006 really wasn't good for me.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

PreviousNext

Return to General AMV