Anime downloads (the org friendly version)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:51 am

Beo @ Sukunai wrote: Your posts are long winded to inflate your weak opinions.
I would gather most of us here KNOW you meant the actual card stock box that holds the individual dvd cases which are generally usually single disk items unless they are the multiple fold out type of disk holder that holds all the disks in a single item.
Yes, by box set, I ment the box set, as in something that holds the entire series
Do you get to prance and say "I've got the box set neener neener neener". "It's worth an obscene amount of money that you don't have".
Box sets are almost always cheaper then buying everything individually.
I have Madlax in dvd thin cases in a card stock sleeve. I yippee fricking doo.
Anyone with any real skill with their hands can see that the card stock is basically the same as just about every grocery item you buy in a box.
1 ruler, 1 Xacto knife, 1 printout of the box art, some ordinary school glue, and I could have a box do identical to the one you bought you would NOT no the difference.
I might not be able to make an amv, but then 30 years some of it professional in multiple crafts and nope, it doesn't even qualify as work to me.
I very glad for you that you're so skilled with your hands (as you repeatedly like to remind us) however, for us lesser beings, the time it takes to go to all that bother just isn't worth the amount of money the DVDs cost in the first place. Plus, it's not always like it's simple boxes, have you seen the Kenshin box set (kyoto arc)? Or the noein box? Then you've got stuff like the FMA movie that comes with the production artbook ect, Besides, I doubt a printout pasted to a piece of cardstock would fool anyone for very long.
I don't need to be from hong Kong to make an easy virtual copy of the anime and con you on eBay.
I just don't feel like doing that sort of thing.
This isn't about you, and neither do the rest of us.
Not to mention the fringin box was never worth that much in the beginning. Why people attach worth to them is amazing.
Money is oddly worth more than the paper it's printed on. >_> Do you really judge everything by the value of the raw materials?
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 am

Sukunai wrote: *insert inaccurate drivel here*
A number of very important releases have come in box sets of far less than ten discs. Merely looking at my collection, I spot the KOR OAVs/First Movie (three discs), Toki o Kakeru Shoujo R3 Deluxe Set (three discs, one case, with one case shaped box), the Shin KOR Movie R2 Deluxe Set (one disc, one case, one case shaped box of outstanding print quality), Original BGC (three oav discs, one music video disc), the various Arcs if Utena come in sets of two, four, four, and four discs, Maison Ikkoku comes in three boxed sets of three discs each... These are large cases, not slimpacks.

Therefore, you are just wrong. And my response to your posts are:

tl;dr :awesome:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:44 pm

[insert pointless quotes here]

Any reason you needed to use italics for "the box set"?
Which box set did you think I meant?

Box sets are cheaper than individual releasees, news flash you likely didn't shock anyone with that comment.

Cost of the dvds?

Madlax cost me 50 bucks or there abouts (when you add tax etc) I got it at Anime North last con.

Madlax is is 5 dvds. That buy the way has a market value of 1 dollar. Disk cases, you can get 5 dvd cases for about 1 dollar. The box as raw materials, free.
If a person wanted to, they can produce a copy of Madlax for less than 3 bucks.

You doubt that you could be fooled. I actually know you're wrong, but convincing you is worth less than your estimation of my opinion :)

No I don't judge everything based on the value of its raw materials.
I'm amazed that you thought it was about the cost of the raw materials.

So why did I even buy the real thing?

Ego. I'm worth it. It has zero to do with my love of someone else's company.
The real thing is indeed worth as much as the raw materials. And made enmasse the material content of the average anime set if likely worth less than even my 3 bucks worth of home made materials.

Now if I wanted to be an SOB and play the "Imports" game on eBay, it would be easy. Because if an anime fan can get a 50 dollar box set for 20 dollars, they'll buy it. Don't give me the crap that anime fans are noble, knock that crap off, I've seen eBay, I know people are willing to buy fansubs let alone fake retail anime.

I just don't like eBay or the people that use it much.
If I want to be cheap, I don't need eBay swine to facilitate it.

And yes this is still about anime downloads. Because it is all about whether it is commercially possible to market anime successfully using the method as mentioned in the OP.

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Post by Voices_Of_Ryan » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:42 pm

Hey... no.

I think everyones overlooking the fact that... you can buy the real dvds for the same price as getting them online. So why bother downloading?

Gas aint that expensive quite yet guys.
"hey... no"

sweetdeily
Org Profile

Post by sweetdeily » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Sukunai wrote: Any reason you needed to use italics for "the box set"?
Anyone with a firm grasp of the English language should understand why.
Madlax is is 5 dvds. That buy the way has a market value of 1 dollar. Disk cases, you can get 5 dvd cases for about 1 dollar. The box as raw materials, free.
orly? think outside your own country, Blank dual layer DVD's (which is needed to copy directly without stripping content are $2.50 here.
You doubt that you could be fooled. I actually know you're wrong, but convincing you is worth less than your estimation of my opinion
Then save us all and stop bothering to post replies.
We didn't ask.
Ego. I'm worth it.
ahhh really the point you've been getting at behind each post, you should have just said it sooner it would have meant less drivel to read through.
And now we come to what pushed me over the line and motivated me to post a reply.
I use ebay to find and buy out of print novels and DVD's (not knock offs) not normally available in this country, at a better price than say, Amazon.
Since you DON'T know me yet you make sweeping comments calling myself and anyone else who uses that website a PIG I think it's high time you STFU and stuff your over inflated ego in a place where a colonoscopy will be required to find it and refrain from further sharing your incorrect and inflamatory opinions with the rest of humanity.
ImageImage
Lockstock: " i gots the power!"
Sweetdeily: "you know he-man was a gay icon, right?"
*SILENCE*

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Scott Green wrote:As we all know the world starts in L.A. and ends in New York
Finally people are catching on to the truth.

Subtle Sorrow
Org Profile

Post by Subtle Sorrow » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:43 pm

Sukunai wrote:[insert pointless quotes here]

Any reason you needed to use italics for "the box set"?
Which box set did you think I meant?

Box sets are cheaper than individual releasees, news flash you likely didn't shock anyone with that comment.

Cost of the dvds?

Madlax cost me 50 bucks or there abouts (when you add tax etc) I got it at Anime North last con.

You doubt that you could be fooled. I actually know you're wrong, but convincing you is worth less than your estimation of my opinion :)

No I don't judge everything based on the value of its raw materials.
I'm amazed that you thought it was about the cost of the raw materials.

Ego. I'm worth it. It has zero to do with my love of someone else's company.
The real thing is indeed worth as much as the raw materials. And made enmasse the material content of the average anime set if likely worth less than even my 3 bucks worth of home made materials.

Now if I wanted to be an SOB and play the "Imports" game on eBay, it would be easy. Because if an anime fan can get a 50 dollar box set for 20 dollars, they'll buy it. Don't give me the crap that anime fans are noble, knock that crap off, I've seen eBay, I know people are willing to buy fansubs let alone fake retail anime.

And yes this is still about anime downloads. Because it is all about whether it is commercially possible to market anime successfully using the method as mentioned in the OP.
People on this forum are such mard arses haha.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:21 am

Kionon wrote:In American English we only hire people, we rent property, in most commonwealth countries you hire property as well (this is directed at those Americans that may be confused by Aut's Australianism, and is not to be seen as telling Aut, who most likely already knows this).
America has a history of buying and renting people as well as property.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:03 pm

BurningLeaves wrote:
dokidoki wrote:A review of the download rental process:
http://www.gearbits.com/archives/2008/0 ... r_tes.html
Ah with that one he chose the 'rent' download option, im speaking more of the purchase download option, where there is no time restriction, though im guessing the quality would be the same, doesn't seem too bad.
I posted just before leaving for AWA so didn't have time to look any further. Although I can't say for sure right now, I would guess that the purchased downloads also have DRM.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

piedpiper
Org Profile

Post by piedpiper » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:55 pm

Sukunai wrote: I'm amazed that you thought it was about the cost of the raw materials.
I'm amazed you brought up the quote below after being amazed that he thought it was about the cost....amazingly.
Sukunai wrote: The real thing is indeed worth as much as the raw materials.
And people, to your left here we have Exhibit B: One that bit the dust.
(Ask me why i say that, but I dunno, I'm new here and others may not want to know :S)
Sukunai wrote: Do you get to prance and say "I've got the box set neener neener neener".
That's actually great fun! Exactly like that! But maybe you're too mature for that =(

But I like you, you make for nice practice. ^_^
Cheers! Don't leave. :)

Return to “General AMV”