Sick of this bad talk!

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:06 am

I make amvs to win friends and influence people ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:03 am

Freako wrote: me thinks this list is a bit flawed.
Why do you say that?
Lyrs wrote: Or....if you're soooo bored, why don't you put more life into the vids. Edit some videos already outa nd put some passion into them. Ask first though.
I've been trying to get ahold of "Holy Macaroni" for a while. I wanted to redo the Tenchi vid he did to "So Wrong" by Stabbing Westward using only DVD footage... but I can't find anything about him online :P His vid wasn't even listed here at the org.. I had to enter his vid by Proxy (3 times.. it kept screwing up. It's still not in there right.)
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:12 am

Freako wrote:
And THAT simple feeling and motivation is why the "AMV Greats" are great. Great editors like Kevin Caldwell, DokiDoki, Aluminum, Machine, Mexican Jr., SpPanda, Fluxmeister, ErMaC, Absolute Destiny, Koop... TONS of editors out there that edit videos so they're fun to watch and you can see their vision coming out on the screen.
me thinks this list is a bit flawed.

I like that list! A POX on FREAKO!!!
Hahah, wow, my name is in the same sentence as Kevin Caldwell.

*Sends love to Garylisk :D

Satori
Org Profile

Post by Satori » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:58 am

I'm still seeing videos with passion/emotion. I think that there has to be some degree of feeling put into a video whether it's something dramatic or as simple as just telling a story. It's there, just in varying degrees.

I did make a video once that a few people have asked me about. I was going through a bad time in my life (huge break up) and I didn't realize it was coming out in my work. That video ended up sooooo depressing without me meaning for it to. That's why it's not up for dl anymore (well plus it sucked :lol: ) I wouldn't change it, though, but I can't sit through it. I don't expect anyone else too hehe. Hey, but I think my videos reflect how I am feeling at the time of making them so that's just me.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:02 pm

I'm not sure if it's necessarily in 'recession', but let's look at what is different now as opposed to in prior years which supposedly had this passion and emotion that are in recession.
First, the community has grown exponentially. Perhaps, the quality per capita has gone down the shitter, I can't really say since I haven't downloaded probably 99.9998% of the vids on the site. But clearly the community is growing. Theres not the 'hey, there this ONE new vid out by aluminum, its really great check it out' and everyone downloads. The great new vids are potentially drowned out in the sea of mediocre ones, and so people turn to already esablished creators to find a good vid. Perhaps the wearing down of a few avatar people is what caused the illusion that the community is losing steam.
Second, the community is a few years old. It has seen what's already been done over and over and is looking for new venues. That could very well be the source of all the technical special effects videos that have been popping up. It's not less passionate editing, its just something different than what everyone is used to in amvs :\
Thirdly the actual video technics are being pushed alot more these days. That restricts some people who get bogged down in the technics and makes it easier for a good concept to get lost in a fog of murky logic and in depth technics. In a way though if the creators can master the tech aspects and come out with a great video it very well could turn out a stronger video in the end, since more was put into making it come out great.
If that makes any sense :\
I believe that's a fair outline of the changes the community has faced and when taken into consideration, an ample explanation of the source of the recession comments

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:08 pm

I cry when I hit the render button...

Because Premiere crashes when I do that.

:cry:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Paul Kievits
Org Profile

Post by Paul Kievits » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:14 pm

Castor: Best post ever :D
Get my 5th video "Mass Murderer": here

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:02 pm

I say yes, it's kind of like the people saying Anime is dying in japan. EVen though the number of shows coming out and the quality are both increasing. AMVs are the same, we continue to get more creators and more AMVs and in my book that means we aren't dying outl.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:12 pm

I generally just make whatever comes to my mind. It usually sucks. Myself, I'd love it if I could put more emotion into my work. But, I am very bad at expressing myself, even when I want to, so I don't genrally do a very good job of it.

People work from their own ideas. Sometimes it turns out good, other times badly. But, there will always be people creating. AMVs are like any other art form; they are a style of expression. Of what you enjoy, of what you find important, of simply what you want to say. People will always create. And, I think, as long as there are people willing to do this AMV thing, they will. If not, they won't. Simple as that.

Art is about doing what you feel like doing and hoping other people don't hate it. Whether it's AMVs or pottery, the same principle applies.
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:22 pm

In my opinion, yes there is. However, it seems that emotional expression and its reactions differ from person to person. For example, this is the way some of my videos come about, I get angry, and make a somewhat senseless gore video. This is an expression of my anger, and therefore, emotional in my eyes. Some people will be like, "Yeah, that made my day." whereas others will be like "Crappyness and useless bleh". Some people see some things differently than others, its as simple as that.
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

Return to “General AMV”