Are we in another slump of amvs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't think AMV's are in a slump, I just think there are more being made now, so more of a chance to watch something you wont like...

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Slump is in the eye of the beholder
The grass is less slumpy on the other side
Different slumps for different folks
Don't put off a slump for tomorrow when you can slump it today

or something like that
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Megamom
Org Profile

Post by Megamom » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:04 pm

mexicanjunior wrote:I don't think AMV's are in a slump, I just think there are more being made now, so more of a chance to watch something you wont like...
x2
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Darius GQ
Org Profile

Post by Darius GQ » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:25 pm

//I like Naruto Ball Z - A battle of epic proportions, but I hate Sakura.....

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:28 pm

mexicanjunior wrote:I don't think AMV's are in a slump, I just think there are more being made now, so more of a chance to watch something you wont like...
I dunno, we've been having a sharp decline after 2005..
godix wrote:
Sephiroth wrote:Everyones spoiled, also more and more people are making vids each year, its gotten to overload there's no way anyone can shift through through every single video so a lot of what people see is crap because that's a lot of what there is.
BZZT wrong answer, lizardlips.

Videos released:
2002: 7035
2003: 16436
2004: 28843
2005: 37974
2006: 30101
2007: 15839
2008 so far: 5868, which puts us on track of ending the year around 10k or so.

The org has peaked and is now on a decline. I put forth the theory that it's because anime is changing from the in thing for mindless sheep to like to yesterdays fad. Someone else, I forget who, thought it's because the tube is pulling off all the shitty makers and leaving just the more uhh dedicated I guess amv makers on the org. It's probably actually a mixture of both. Either way, this year will most likely have the least videos released since 2002.
Darius GQ wrote://I like Naruto Ball Z - A battle of epic proportions, but I hate Sakura.....
Umm, thanks, but I dunno how that contributes to the discussion. :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:34 pm

Yingface, PsyD wrote:
Chiikaboom wrote:In all honesty, everyone here needs to get over themselves.

AMVs started out as a hobby. Its not a hobby anymore. Its a competition where everyone is striving for perfection. Because of certain 'epic' amvs, most people here have set there standards so high, that anything below it isnt acceptable. It doesnt matter how good an amv is, theres always someone out there who will literally rip it to shreds because it gives them some kind of ego boost.

No one appreciates the effort put into anything anymore. I've never said that an amv sucks, unless the video deliberately intended to suck. There are many ways to say you dont like an amv, like "its not my cup of tea", "sorry i couldn't really get into it", etc, following the comment with constructive criticism. All i see here is "this amv sucks", "wow that was disappointing", with the person going through and describing each and every second of the amv and tearing it apart. It is NOT helping the editor get better and it sure as feck isnt going to do much for their self esteem.

And I also get horribly irritated with how noobs are treated here, such as posting a youtube link on the announcements thread. Just tell them that its against the rules and ask them to catalog it, then lock the thread. Of course all i ever see is comments about how much of a noob the person is, and the famous "inbeforewtfisboochsack", which, really, if you're trying to be funny, its been done so much that it isnt funny anymore. Seriously, we're all noobs once, but for the ones who make typical noob mistakes here, they never get a second chance.

To conclude, you all sicken me. I hate you all.

-goes back to editing unoriginal crappy quality fugly effect whored amv-
I'm going to disagree with you on all three points.

1. I don't know where this notion of "competitive about AMVs" comes from. I've seen a few people piss and cry like toddlers when they don't win a contest, but that's awfully rare. Does anyone even have a notion of standards on an AMV? I figure the bar's as low as not having subtitles, interlacing, or a DivX logo, and then the judging proceeds from there.

2. There are videos that suck, end of story. There shouldn't be anything wrong with saying so, either. Saying "not my cup of tea" implies that it's an okay video otherwise, but it just didn't cater to my tastes. A video with interlacing, ugly-ass effects, and a concept that was poorly executed doesn't simply fail to cater to my tastes, it's just straight-up bad - and god dammit, I'm going to say so if I think the editor cares enough about my input. As for seeing nothing but unwarranted criticism, I honestly see unwarranted praise much more often.

3. If a new member doesn't take the time to understand how a community works, why should the community bend over backwards to accommodate for their ignorance? Yes, I'll concede that there are plenty of howling retards on the forums who think it's still hilarious to copy age-old jokes, but the reality is that if a new person can't take the five minutes to recognize that this place is not boochsack, then they probably don't care enough about the hobby for us to care about them anyway.
xFucking2

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:39 pm

.. its not the AMV's that are in a slump, its Windows Vista making it impossible to create anything new --

its crashing the whole Worlds Economy 0_0

its sending oil prices through the Y2K Roof T_T

its making bad Animes even worse >_<

and most of all, it doesn't understand .mkv files anymore! :roll:

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm

post-it wrote:.. its not the AMV's that are in a slump, its Windows Vista making it impossible to create anything new --

its crashing the whole Worlds Economy 0_0

its sending oil prices through the Y2K Roof T_T

its making bad Animes even worse >_<

and most of all, it doesn't understand .mkv files anymore! :roll:
:lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
I dunno, we've been having a sharp decline after 2005..
godix wrote:
Sephiroth wrote:Everyones spoiled, also more and more people are making vids each year, its gotten to overload there's no way anyone can shift through through every single video so a lot of what people see is crap because that's a lot of what there is.
BZZT wrong answer, lizardlips.

Videos released:
2002: 7035
2003: 16436
2004: 28843
2005: 37974
2006: 30101
2007: 15839
2008 so far: 5868, which puts us on track of ending the year around 10k or so.

The org has peaked and is now on a decline. I put forth the theory that it's because anime is changing from the in thing for mindless sheep to like to yesterdays fad. Someone else, I forget who, thought it's because the tube is pulling off all the shitty makers and leaving just the more uhh dedicated I guess amv makers on the org. It's probably actually a mixture of both. Either way, this year will most likely have the least videos released since 2002.
Darius GQ wrote://I like Naruto Ball Z - A battle of epic proportions, but I hate Sakura.....
Umm, thanks, but I dunno how that contributes to the discussion. :P
Oh wow, I didn't read those stats. Maybe we are just losing interest and nothing is jumping out to us as examples of "Hey! AMV's are as good as ever!". I think alot of those stats are skewed by Booshtube, since alot of mediocre vid makers are taking their videos there instead of bothering to upload them here (like someone else said). I think the odds of receiving favorable feedback is higher there and not nearly as critical as posting in the AMV announcements thread, where most unknown editors will more than likely not get any feedback at all.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Possibly of note... How many of us started this in High school or college and now have careers and or families that have started to suck away our free time and thus hinder our output?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “General AMV”