My philosophy on AMVs:

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Dagda
Org Profile

My philosophy on AMVs:

Post by Dagda » Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 pm

I've been able to track down and go over some of the existing discussion on the topic, but not enough to really figure out where I stand in comparison to the "mainstream" outlook (if there is one). My way of thinking is that there are three key things an fan-made music video can do:

-Entertain. Create an experience that is pleasing to the senses (or at least engaging) through skillful editing, using tools like action sync and effects.
-Recontextualize. Show the footage and/or audio in a new context, one that may or may not match what the original creators had in mind.
-Express. Convey a deeper message, one that's at least partly dependent on the viewer's interpretation.

I would say that as a general rule, the first item is what makes a "good" amv, the second is what makes a "deep" amv and the third item is the one that makes an amv a work of art. But I'm eager to hear what others have to say/have already said on the matter. Apologies if I'm doing nothing but retreading a beaten path.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Tue May 27, 2008 11:48 pm

What about shocking or disgusting? O:

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Wed May 28, 2008 12:08 am

I just have to get the damn images and ideas i see in my head out before they drive me nuts, and nothing frustrates me more than Adobe's lack of mind reading skills.

Maybe that explains why my beta's can be confusing to others since they are a "brain fart" of sorts.

I know this sort of thread has probably done the rounds before.

Visuals + music +story/concept must 'feel(and look)' right but I dont want to over analyse my own expression of thought lest I require a straight jacket and padded cell. Sometimes something 'just is' and doesn't need an essay written, over analysing a hobby leads to "is it really worth it" and other such questions.
For now I need a creative outlet and this is it :| it doesn't have to be or mean more.

now that i've explain the same thing several ways >.< it's time to eat less sugar.
new banzors in the making :p

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Wed May 28, 2008 2:59 pm

Dagda seems to have summed up well for me too.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

Dagda
Org Profile

Post by Dagda » Wed May 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Kevmaster wrote:What about shocking or disgusting? O:
I'd file that under "engaging", assuming it's done well.

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Re: My philosophy on AMVs:

Post by Emong » Wed May 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Practical :up:
Dagda wrote:-Express. Convey a deeper message, one that's at least partly dependent on the viewer's interpretation.
But I differ here somewhat. Absolutely everything is dependent on the viewer's interpretion. He might interpret the video the same way the creator did, but he could also interpret it in another way (even the very opposite way) As meanings don't really exist in things itself, they're always given and thus always dependent on interpretion, which is always subjective. Thus, interpreting right or wrong or having a meaning that's not dependent on interpretion is impossible.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Wed May 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Seizure
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Dagda
Org Profile

Re: My philosophy on AMVs:

Post by Dagda » Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Emong wrote:Practical :up:
Dagda wrote:-Express. Convey a deeper message, one that's at least partly dependent on the viewer's interpretation.
But I differ here somewhat. Absolutely everything is dependent on the viewer's interpretion. He might interpret the video the same way the creator did, but he could also interpret it in another way (even the very opposite way) As meanings don't really exist in things itself, they're always given and thus always dependent on interpretion, which is always subjective. Thus, interpreting right or wrong or having a meaning that's not dependent on interpretion is impossible.
Would it help if I instead said "Express some deeper personal message, though not necessarily in an explicit manner"?

Wolfy2hk
Org Profile

Post by Wolfy2hk » Wed May 28, 2008 8:09 pm

Personally to me Amv's don't have a deep or philosophical meaning, I mean you could leave a message in there if you wanted but I just don't find a point in doing so, to me its all recreational. My thoughts you make an amv depending on how you feel thats as deep as I'll go. :?
[Insert Sig <Here>]

Derek16438
Org Profile

Post by Derek16438 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:27 pm

I agree with everything that you spoke of.

Return to “General AMV”