Are we over-complicating matters?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Are we over-complicating matters?

Post by Prodigi » Mon May 26, 2008 6:20 am

Time was I could make a video using nothing but straight cuts and a/b fades with the occasional white flash. I could then watch said video and think to myself "hot damn we have a winner".

Now it seems like everything is footage quality, layers, subtle effects and TEXT TEXT TEXT. I'm not necessarily referring to text in the video, but rather the pages and pages of text that seem to occupy the video info page of many a video these days chronicling a long and epic story that I'm - just - not - seeing.

To those who stand back and say "I edit because I enjoy it and for no other reason", I say kudos to you, but I'd wager that at least 50% of you are lying. Of course you enjoy it, or else you wouldn't do it, but that's hardly the soul reason anymore. I began because I had fun. I pumped out videos daily, until after about 6 months I finally did one I was happy to release, and went from there. I don't get as much from editing anymore as I used to, and I think it's a fairly common feeling that's spreading throughout more and more of the community.

Are we expecting too much from AMVs in general? Are we expecting too much from editors themselves? Are we over-complicating matters?

Are we killing the heart and soul of the org? :cry:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 am

Killing? No, sir, that implies present tense.

Killed.

|:
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Re: Are we over-complicating matters?

Post by Orwell » Mon May 26, 2008 6:25 am

Deaf Jester wrote:Are we expecting too much from AMVs in general? Are we expecting too much from editors themselves? Are we over-complicating matters?

Are we killing the heart and soul of the org? :cry:
The community might be - I download AMV's for what they are - MUSIC videos. If there's anything to bitch about, it's that a lot of you aren't using as many great songs anymore and are doing more stuff that involves being visual whores.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Mon May 26, 2008 6:33 am

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Actually some editors are going off in a completely different direction, one where I can no longer define videos as an AMV but rather a work of digital art, compared to their previous works, which is fine, it just means that when they announce a vid, I probably won't get it because I know I won't enjoy it.

I do feel sorry for editors who might feel a bit over pressured dued to their previous works. Like, I have not come across an announcement thread by kisanzi without an editor saying "not as good as video x" and not appreciating the video given, standing on its own right.

Anyway all of this is mainly to do with the clear split evident on the org, the person who make AMVs as a hobby and the person who want to prove themselves technically.

Also I think the people expecting too much are the ones who have downloaded way too many videos and therefore become sick of certain styles of editting :/ I only get 1 new AMV a fortnight average, so most AMVs feel new to me.

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Mon May 26, 2008 6:59 am

since these threads are all basically the same and I am getting sick of people just using different wording I present to you the graph that shows everything that is wrong with the org:

It started out as a fanbase for people that wanted to see their favorite show set to their favorite song. Now it's "Oh gosh I better watch out whether this anime works good with the audience and I hope I'm not using a band the internet currently hates or people might think that I'm a loser on the internet."

We aren't overcomplicating shit, we are destroying the main idea behind this site by letting all the artfags ruin our InuYashalovesKagome.wmv videos. This is not sarcasm, get your own website ffs.

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Mon May 26, 2008 7:44 am

Ingow wrote:We aren't overcomplicating shit, we are destroying the main idea behind this site by letting all the artfags ruin our InuYashalovesKagome.wmv videos. This is not sarcasm, get your own website ffs.
omg, this is awesome

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Mon May 26, 2008 7:49 am

hahaha good pick Mark =P

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Mon May 26, 2008 8:11 am

Deaf Jester wrote:Nothing beats the fade. Nothing.

Cantrokko
Org Profile

Post by Cantrokko » Mon May 26, 2008 8:37 am

We aren`t destroying the main idea behind this site, we just want to see more InuYashalovesKagome.mp4 videos.

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Mon May 26, 2008 10:00 am

So pretty much as you feel your soul being sucked away remember that if you have a problem with it, your in the minority.

Return to “General AMV”