Is subs in a AMV a good thing or a bad thing?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Kitsuner wrote:This thread is now about whether text looks good when used in AMVs.
I was hoping that's what it was about in the first place.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:15 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Kitsuner wrote:This thread is now about whether text looks good when used in AMVs.
I was hoping that's what it was about in the first place.
I was under the impression they were talking about subtitles only, ignoring logos, batmanesque sound effects, narration, and other assorted words that appear onscreen . . .
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Ojamajo_LimePie
Org Profile

Post by Ojamajo_LimePie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:11 pm

The Wired Knight wrote: A) Translations of a song the viewer likely doesn't understand
B) Translations of what characters are saying either seriously or humerously

Sing-along FTW 8-)
Image Image

davidka1
Org Profile

Post by davidka1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:10 pm

It all really depends on the song, which parts of the anime are being used, and whether the subs look good. Ie, I saw this not too bad AMV on youtube about half a year ago, It was Naruto, the Naruto vs Sasuke valley of the end fight, and a song by either papa roach or three days grace. I also saw this AMV around then, maybe earlier, also Naruto (I was a bit of a Narutard back then), it had something to do with Sakura, and the subs just made it lose ... something, professionalism maybe. it would have been better without it.

btw, cartoon network (or at least 4!kids) is evil. subbed naruto > dubbed naruto. example: drunken fist style and sake being changed to loopy fist style and elixer. blood is now sweat (when Shikamara is fighting Tayuya, in the sub, they're both bleeding from the mouth a little, and in the dub, Shikamaru is sweating like it's 100º degrees!) I want to hurt whoever dubbed naruto really badly. Naruto isn't meant for kids! its a teen anime, it should be pg-13! still, I can't wait untill they dub Sai. I'd like to see that!
Final Fantasy Forever!

davidka1
Org Profile

Post by davidka1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:12 pm

is you _ tube automatically changed to boochsack? (sorry, im a newb and newbs cannot edit on the forums...)
Final Fantasy Forever!

The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Org Profile

Post by The Origonal Head Hunter » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:18 pm

davidka1 wrote:It all really depends on the song, which parts of the anime are being used, and whether the subs look good. Ie, I saw this not too bad AMV on boochsack about half a year ago, It was Naruto, the Naruto vs Sasuke valley of the end fight, and a song by either papa roach or three days grace.
(I was a bit of a Narutard back then)
I've got news for you...
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english
Boredom.

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:46 pm

davidka1 wrote:is you _ tube automatically changed to boochsack? (sorry, im a newb and newbs cannot edit on the forums...)
Nope. Only noobs can't say youtube d('-'d)

Also...
davidka1 wrote:btw, cartoon network (or at least 4!kids) is evil. subbed naruto > dubbed naruto. example: drunken fist style and sake being changed to loopy fist style and elixer. blood is now sweat (when Shikamara is fighting Tayuya, in the sub, they're both bleeding from the mouth a little, and in the dub, Shikamaru is sweating like it's 100º degrees!) I want to hurt whoever dubbed naruto really badly. Naruto isn't meant for kids! its a teen anime, it should be pg-13! still, I can't wait untill they dub Sai. I'd like to see that!
What does that have to do with anything?

Dragon/Roy
Org Profile

Post by Dragon/Roy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:42 am

text is alright sometimes , but subtitles are annoying

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 am

depends on how they are used...
and if they are from fansubs or if the person created them for them self.

Melichan923
Org Profile

Post by Melichan923 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:46 pm

It depends on what you mean. If you mean subtitled footage to begin with, then no, it does not look good. Subtitles like that never look good. The person watching will automatically start concentrating on what the characters are saying instead of the video itself. An exception to this would be if you added your own subtitles at a small section of the video to get a point across. I've seen some AMVs where English subtitles are added in to show the lyrics of a song with a different language to prove lyric-sync. Sometimes that works out really well. :)
Image Image

Return to “General AMV”