AMV Organizer

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Epical Zamora
Org Profile

AMV Organizer

Post by Epical Zamora » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:20 pm

As I do, I'm sure most of you have folders in folders in folders to properly sort your collection of AMVs. Either that, or you just keep them in one crazy jumbled mess. They're probably organized in a million different ways, constantly needing a different way to sort them.

So then I got to thinking, what if there were a program to easily organize them based on Song, Artist, Title, Editor, Genre, etc. Then throw in being able to reorganize with a single like ala Winamp or iTunes. That would be damn helpful. All you would need to do is plug in the info when you get the video and drag it in.

Now, I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea how such a thing would be made. But it doesn't sound like too difficult. It could just be a basic sorting program based on user-based information. That way, if you want to watch an action video, have it sort by genre. Want something from Air? Sort by anime. You all get the picture. Click on the desired video and it opens in the program you have set to open that filetype.

Could this be done? If so, please do. Or has it already been done and I'm just behind the times?
Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:56 pm

I've often pondered writing a program that will automatically rename video files. I sort my video collection in terms of editor and video name. I get rid of all other information. These days it's not too hard to organise it because most of videos are now renamed, but it was an annoying task in the beginning when I decided to do it this way.

I haven't programmed properly 3 years though, so I've got nothing to contribute other than my yammering.

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 pm

There is something simliar to that.
Its not free though
http://www.softprime.com/
Thats what i use to organize amvs and all my other files.
You can sort files to differen't catagories and files can be listed in multiple categories.
That way you can find an amv by searching for editor name, anime used in video, video category ect..
For example:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Ojamajo_LimePie
Org Profile

Post by Ojamajo_LimePie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:07 pm

My harddrive doesn't have much space, so I delete most AMVs after I watch them. For my own AMVs, I sort them into folders by year (a 'finished amv' folder contains different folders, each labelled with a year.)
Image Image

Epical Zamora
Org Profile

Post by Epical Zamora » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:54 am

Infinity Squared wrote:I've often pondered writing a program that will automatically rename video files. I sort my video collection in terms of editor and video name. I get rid of all other information. These days it's not too hard to organise it because most of videos are now renamed, but it was an annoying task in the beginning when I decided to do it this way.

I haven't programmed properly 3 years though, so I've got nothing to contribute other than my yammering.
I usually name them with anime-song-editor. But it's still tough to find what I'm looking for. I tend to overlook a lot of good videos in my collection too.

That program looks like a good one, it could be useful for more than AMVs too. Sad it's not free.
Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:06 am

I am very meticulous about how I have my amvs organized:

Anime - Year - Studio - Member - Title

Year is arguably the most important aspect, as it allows me to compare standards across time, either in general, or in reference to the improvement of a specific editor. Each anime gets its own folder. Various and MEPs also get a folder.

Mexican Junior, Koopiskeva, and Rozard are the only three editors who have ever had their own folders.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:56 am

Year, should probably be something I add to the sorting in my files. It's interesting to note down the styles of the times, and I think the fandom has been around long enough to notice a progression in that regard.

Prodigi
is the conductor.
Org Profile

Post by Prodigi » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:20 am

Kionon wrote:I am very meticulous about how I have my amvs organized:

Anime - Year - Studio - Member - Title

Year is arguably the most important aspect, as it allows me to compare standards across time, either in general, or in reference to the improvement of a specific editor. Each anime gets its own folder. Various and MEPs also get a folder.

Mexican Junior, Koopiskeva, and Rozard are the only three editors who have ever had their own folders.
I bet Parting Ways has it's OWN folder :O

Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Post by Pas » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:25 am

I have 1 folder called "AMV" and a folder inside that named "MEP"

Considering I only have like 300 AMVs it's not hard to memorize where they all are and just select them when I want them >.>;

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:33 am

Deaf Jester wrote:I bet Parting Ways has it's OWN folder :O
...Yeah. It does. >_>
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”