General No-No for AMVs?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
parkervn
Org Profile

General No-No for AMVs?

Post by parkervn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:11 am

I'm kind of new to AMVs...and I'm wondering if subtitles is a general no-no for AMVs. Like, will people hate ("hate") me for it? Thanks.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22 am

It's one of the first signs of a badly made video. So even if you made a great video, if it contained subtitles a person would probably just stop the video and delete it. Same goes for Dvix logos and (not always but, usually) encoding the video in WMV.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:24 am

yeh, because if you try to lip synch it's hard to focus on the lips.. I always find my eyes drifiting to the words instead of the video.

parkervn
Org Profile

Post by parkervn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:31 am

Thanks!

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:35 am

a lot of the people in the amv community watch/read subtitled anime, so it's really distracting to watch the video when you're so used to reading the subs

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Re: General No-No for AMVs?

Post by SarahtheBoring » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:37 am

parkervn wrote:I'm kind of new to AMVs...and I'm wondering if subtitles is a general no-no for AMVs. Like, will people hate ("hate") me for it? Thanks.
I doubt they'll hate you, even with air quotes. Dislike your video, probably. But there are too many bad videos out there to make a fuss about just one of them, unless the maker tries really hard to get all up in people's faces ("My video is the best in the universe and I'll be back with another one tomorrow blah blah").

Take the step and crop them, though. It's not impossibly hard, and it does help a lot. I did it with an early video and lived to tell about it, and I suck at AMVs. ;)

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:38 am

It really depends on who your audience is. Some people will give you a chance, and try to focus on the video underneath... while others will burn you at the stake, and piss on your ashes... so to speak. There are both extremes.

Generally don't do it because there are ways of getting around it [you'll need the AMVapp first.] and there's an overwhelming number of good reasons to use DVD footage instead.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:02 am

Ileia wrote:if it contained subtitles a person would probably just stop the video and delete it.
^^ yes, that goes for dorks dweebs and elitist snobs. REAL people only delete i if your video actually sucks.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:11 am

Knowname wrote:
Ileia wrote:if it contained subtitles a person would probably just stop the video and delete it.
^^ yes, that goes for people with standards that can see trends from a data set. REAL people only delete i if your video actually sucks.
fix't.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:14 am

(not too mention a 16 foot 4x4 up their ass...)

Return to “General AMV”