Dmytryk vs. The AMV Criteria (Substance before synch.)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:59 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Fall_Child42 wrote:For example. A triangle is a logical concept.
it must have three sides with angles that add up to 180˚ (etc.) with out these conditions it is not a triangle.
Not in hyperbolic or spherical geometry.
that is why i included etc. I will admit that I am not an expert in hyperbolic geometry
but I presume it would also have a set of rules that define what is a triangle in that particular situation, and those rules can be explicitly stated and applied to define if something is or is not a triangle as opposed to a square.

it is the ability to expressly define what a triangle is because a triangle is a logical concept that that point was referencing.

you and your non-flat planes.

p.s.

SCINTILLA = Irrelevant purpose fallacy

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:p.s.

I knew I should have included an emoticon or something to make it clear that I wasn't actually attempting to contribute anything to the discussion. :P
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:11 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Fall_Child42 wrote:p.s.

I knew I should have included an emoticon or something to make it clear that I wasn't actually attempting to contribute anything to the discussion. :P
There's a discussion in this thread?

Aimaime-san
Org Profile

Post by Aimaime-san » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 pm

no... there's a thread in this discussion man... FC is tugging on it trying to make it all unravel... and Canadian like.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:18 pm

So it all comes together now...

AMV = triangle

I like triangles. |:>
Hi.

PaperIsland
Org Profile

Post by PaperIsland » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:26 am

Fall_Child42 wrote:I agree, if we are not going to adhere to one of the few concepts in our language that has necessary and sufficient conditions, then we should be using a seperate word or idea to relate what we are trying to express.
I've never liked even using a "secondary" definition of unique. Is something valuable only until we find out that it is very similar to something that went before it?

I think a better term used to describe a good AMV is Effective: "adequate to accomplish a purpose / producing a deep or vivid impression."

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:19 pm

PaperIsland wrote:I think a better term used to describe a good AMV is Effective: "adequate to accomplish a purpose / producing a deep or vivid impression."
I don't agree with "effective" being necessary for a good amv. Effective depends on the creator's intentions or what the viewer assumes the purpose of the video is. Without knowing for sure what the purpose is, there's no way of telling if the video achieved that purpose.

For the latter half of that you could use "outstanding". It's a nice word. Outstanding as in "awesome" (superior), as in "standing out from the crowd" (prominent), as in "timeless" (unresolved debt), etc, etc.

It still boils down to "good". Anything considered good is probably considered outstanding compared to all the "not good" things.

Unique, original, one of a kind - those qualities have never been a necessary part of a good, outstanding amv. We have many outstanding amvs that are rather similar to each other - they're still just as good as they would be if there were only one of them in existence.

There can be multiple outstanding amvs. There can't be multiple unique amvs. One amv might be unique compared to group A, and another unique compared to group B. But neither amv is unique when compared to each other - because we put them both in group C for being "unique". Once there's a group of them, they cease to be one-of-a-kind and we're only calling them unique out of habit and convenience. They were unique. Now they're just like all the other formerly unique videos. Outstanding.

/semantics ftw

Return to “General AMV”