Old School editing vs seizuretiffic and effects

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Old School editing vs seizuretiffic and effects

Post by Autraya » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:58 pm

I've been noticing alot of comments on the announcement forum (hell I've made some of them) on videos which are rather simple and 'old school' and extremely under appreciated.
Labelled 'generic' and not packing enough 'impact' or 'needs more effects or more sync' and so on.

Is it the new generation of prepubesent teens/narutards pushing for 29.970 flashing frames per second, or natural evolution of people constantly pushing boundries.

I for one prefer 'old school' over 'Seizure - tiffic and granted I might not be comparing apples with apples here, due to music choice and other factors.

This isn't really an effects vs no effects comparison, I wonder what others think on this.
oh yeah if I used your amv as an example it's err nothing personal.
new banzors in the making :p

-Nfp
Org Profile

Post by -Nfp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:17 am

Hmmm, i think as long as the action sync is good, then there is no point to add needless effects, when i browse around though, I do tend to like the "old school" AMV's, but i dont mind watching the odd "seizure-tiffic" video either.

I dont have a personal favorite to what kind of video i like, im more or less like a mixture.

But dont listen to me, im a fucking dumbass :jester:

Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
Org Profile

Re: Old School editing vs seizuretiffic and effects

Post by Jnzk » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:43 am

Autraya wrote: Is it the new generation of prepubesent teens/narutards pushing for 29.970 flashing frames per second, or natural evolution of people constantly pushing boundries.
Probably the former. Every other video in the announcements gets replies like "zomg needs moar beatsynk", while most would benefit from less. :roll:

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:45 am

It doesn't matter what you’re doing if your not syncing enough.

The anime has to match the song in some way either with beat sync or lyric sync. Preferably both.

The problem is that people tend to think that they have to sync to every little change or blip in the song instead of syncing to major changes or fluctuations in the beat. Furthermore the first thing people do is say, "What FX can I sync to that and have it look good." They don’t even question as to whether it needs an FX at all or if they can use something that's already IN the anime for the sync. The end result is a ton of clips with spasmodic lights all randomly synced to different beat changes without any order or consistency. You all so have to consider the fact that some people (mainly new people) have little knowledge for using FX and are limited in what they can do. So many people resort to heavy scene changing and flashes for everything cause they are the easiest to do and easy in any editing program.

I'd like to think that NTB was a good example of consistency with FX and syncing to the major beat changes without causing your eyes to bleed. It was an instrumental AMV though so there was no lyrical sync. Having lyrical sync and beat sync with all those kinds of FX might be hard if the song had lyrics.

Bottom line, the new age of editors focuses too much on External sync and have lost interest or are losing interest in Internal sync because external is more appealing to them. I believe that's what Pianos was trying to say in his interview on the .org... Even MADS are heading in the same direction.

But if you want my personal opinion, I'm still all for internal (stuff in the anime). To me an FX is simply an enhancement of the video and if its not enhancing something then there is no reason for it, especially for action amv's. I want to see action synced to the beat, NOT FX. The new age needs to learn this, the point of action is action, not lights synced to a beat. Use the lights to enhance the action that is being synced instead.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:02 am

Eva-Fan wrote:Even MADS are heading in the same direction.
Wait, what? I have never seen a M@D that didn't focus completely or almost completely on external sync. M@Ds are, almost by definition, effects-whoring assaults on your retinas. (I know perfectly well that the only thing that truly distinguishes a M@D from an AMV is that M@Ds are Japanese-made, but I think pretty much everyone almost expects M@Ds to be shiny and full of effects).

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:22 am

Eva-Fan wrote:The anime has to match the song in some way either with beat sync or lyric sync. Preferably both.
Why?

Seems so limiting.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 am

trythil wrote:
Eva-Fan wrote:The anime has to match the song in some way either with beat sync or lyric sync. Preferably both.
Why?

Seems so limiting.
Agreed. Although it's certainly not a bad thing to have the anime naturally match the song, but I mean, that's what makes Something Wicked This Way Comes so fricking great. That video matches up anime with audio in a way that most people would probably never even consider, and the result is one of the most hilarious videos I've ever seen. Another example is dokidoki's segment in Conet. Everyone else was doing horror or just plain weird stuff with their audio, but doki took his and thought outside the box.

I might also bring up And Death In My Arms, which takes School Rumble 2 and puts it to a death metal song, and makes a pretty serious-looking action video. That was my first introduction to School Rumble, and after watching that video I thought the anime was about kids having some sort of war in their school.

Of course, School Rumble's nothing like that.

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:10 am

Well, personally I enjoy seeing AMVs with some sort of FX or scene manipulation. Not to say that every FX vid is great, that is far from the truth, waaaaay far. But I like to see the anime and scenes presented in a way I've never seen them, rather than the way I remember them. I like when scenes are altered to give off a totally different mood or reaction than originally intended in the show. And personally, I edit that same way. As a student in graphics and editing, I enjoy incorporating interesting and original FX into my own vids as well as seeing them in others AMVs. Not only to enhance my ideas and realize outside-the-box concepts, but to learn and grow even more in whatever editing software I might be using.

But equally, I love watching videos that use "old school", cut-for-cut editing as well. There's equally good sides to both types of videos and both can be executed badly if the key elements of video editing are ignored. Personally, I'm glad there's such a variety in styles and everyone doesn't just go for either "old school" or FX editing. To condemn one style of creative expression is only limiting your field of vision in the hobby.

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:29 am

"To condemn one style of creative expression is only limiting your field of vision in the hobby" couldn't have been said any better, best thing I've heard from a-m-v.org in months :D

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:34 am

Old school is corner fireball traps.

Seizureriffic is ROM infinites.

Where's my middle ground?
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Return to “General AMV”