Old School editing vs seizuretiffic and effects

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 pm

YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND MY ARTISTIC VISION!

otbwavelength
Org Profile

Post by otbwavelength » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND MY ARTISTIC VISION!
CRAWLING THROUGH MY SKIN
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEALLLLLLL

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:37 pm

yer face will not heal O:

O.O

/me goes back to being on topic now :P

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:09 am

JaddziaDax wrote:YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND MY ARTISTIC VISION!
That ok, a lot of people don't understand mine at all!

Too bad people seem to think that a video with special effects are those that you see visibly... Such a misconception that is a common mistake amongst creators and hence gives the argument special effects vs. non-effects new meaning...

Honselty, old school editing only menas no effects because in the old days it was impossible to do then...

Now Seizure effects, that a whole different story!

Vlad

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:05 am

Fall_Child42 wrote:
Eva-Fan wrote:To me, the only 2 types of sync that everything branches from is beat sync and lyrical sync. All the branches are just different forms of type of sync its being branched from.

Besides that, I really didn’t even word the first line on my first post all that well anyway. I meant the anime should correlate with the beat of a song or lyrics in some how or some way, if it doesn't then i fail to see the point of even making it in the first place. Since I consider "Melodic motion" under the beat sync category, I wasn't limiting that out in any way.

The only limits, if any from my first statement, are the types of amv's you feel like you are watching a random TV channel and listening to music at the same time. I don't find them enjoyable in the least.

Please I would like you to tell me exactly what is the Lyric or Beat synch in this video?

Since AMVs can only have 2 types of synch, Beat or lyric Synch, you should easily be able to give me time stamps where BMA shows beat and/or lyric synch in this video.
K, so first of all, every player I've played it in has no audio and after reading the video comments I found out why. If the point of you showing it to me was the fact that it had no audio then I dont understand... Seriously... How can you call it an anime music video if it lacks Music to begin with. Furthermore you basically ruined your chance at proving a point by calling it "Video" and then in the next sentence using "AMVs". Doesn't that contradict your own view?

Next, since you are passing sheet music or a compositions as music in the first place then doesn't that mean the words from the text are being synced to the anime scenes being shown afterwards?

"Tum a butterfly (or any number of butterflies) loose in the performance area" I don't know the meaning of the word tum and I’m too lazy to look it up but from the way its being used I’m assuming its a verb. Doesn't matter either way, I doubt you need time slots with easily understandable points like these:

So spike is releasing (letting loose a butterfly) into the air (a performance area for the butterfly.)

"When the composition is over be sure to allow the butterfly to fly away outside"
It scene switches to spike allowing the butterfly to fly away.

The last of the lyrics are basically an explanation of how the video can start and end depending on 2 factors. I doubt the anime had a scenes that could fit that exactly so the author of the vid chose to end it there and let your mind do the rest or it was a clever trick that the doors and windows were opened before spike released the butterfly and that is why the author ended it after it flew away. I’m guessing it was just a clever trick by him not showing the windows and doors open with a scene from the anime if that was even possible. He really didn’t have to show it cause it’s explained for you anyway.

So from what I can see, it has lyrical sync, its just how you interpret it. If you say it doesn't then I guess your just interpreting it differently. But you forget one thing. The anime being shown is correlating to the Song, sheet music, composition, W/E by just 1 word lyrically from the very start to end. "Butterfly"

Look I don't mind you guys going against my opinion but is it really worth trying so hard to make my opinion obviously wrong? It's just an opinion and nothing more. To "Me" beat sync and lyrical sync are the mains. If you think differently that’s fine cause your not ME. However I enjoy a good argument from time to time so if you want to keep going at it... By all means.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:16 am

Eva-Fan wrote:
Fall_Child42 wrote:
Eva-Fan wrote:To me, the only 2 types of sync that everything branches from is beat sync and lyrical sync. All the branches are just different forms of type of sync its being branched from.

Besides that, I really didn’t even word the first line on my first post all that well anyway. I meant the anime should correlate with the beat of a song or lyrics in some how or some way, if it doesn't then i fail to see the point of even making it in the first place. Since I consider "Melodic motion" under the beat sync category, I wasn't limiting that out in any way.

The only limits, if any from my first statement, are the types of amv's you feel like you are watching a random TV channel and listening to music at the same time. I don't find them enjoyable in the least.

Please I would like you to tell me exactly what is the Lyric or Beat synch in this video?

Since AMVs can only have 2 types of synch, Beat or lyric Synch, you should easily be able to give me time stamps where BMA shows beat and/or lyric synch in this video.
K, so first of all, every player I've played it in has no audio and after reading the video comments I found out why. If the point of you showing it to me was the fact that it had no audio then I dont understand... Seriously... How can you call it an anime music video if it lacks Music to begin with. Furthermore you basically ruined your chance at proving a point by calling it "Video" and then in the next sentence using "AMVs". Doesn't that contradict your own view?
See, it all depends on how "music" is defined. :wink:
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:38 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:Since AMVs can only have 2 types of synch, Beat or lyric Synch...
I don't know if you were being sarcastic, but I don't believe that's the case. I believe there is a more overarching thing called "Flow" which is not necessarily either (although can include them).

There are a few videos I LOVE that have excellent flow and don't use either of the most common forms of sync. It's hard to describe and easier to show (which I do at panels) :P. It's basically using the actual music beyond the lyrics or dominant beats. Like perhaps a non-obvious instrument, the WAY lyrics are sung, etc.

Trythil's example of perhaps moving a camera upward to a harp playing an upward melody is an example.

...again I don't know if you were more or less being sarcastic and somewhat saying the same thing >_>
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:14 pm

it's more lyrical than lyrical (more like your following the MOOD the song induces rather than the actual words spoken), but it's still lyrical sync. It's not like the lyrics don't matter. take my 7mb Karin video here, to attain melodic motion I DID have to follow the lyrics to a certain extent. If the band (Maroon 5) had been singing about something totally different or left out the words all together it would have come out with a VERY different mood.

In the end you can say there is mood/ melody/ flow that depends on straight lyrical sinc, but you CANNOT say that straight lyrical sync denotes mood/ melody/ flow... I mean, just take your typical fanboy/ fangirl music video (ie Linkinball)

NOW! (and because I haven't pimped enough of my music videos today -_- must follow quotta -_-) you cannot say that beat sync is free from mood/ melody either! It's basically the same story, you can only feel it out, but regardless it is ONLY obtained through the use of beat sync. Again I make use of fanboy/ fangirl music video (ie Linkinball), beat sinc with no attention to the mood is just... hollow somehow.

That being so it is kinda' hard to say that there is only beat and lyrical, BUT it is also hard to say neither is related to flow.

*In the end... I'm just not really sure what I'm saying but... it sounds kinda' right?? lol*

Yok/0
do not feed
Org Profile

Post by Yok/0 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:28 pm

otbwavelength wrote:
CrackTheSky wrote:
otbwavelength wrote:It's something just trying to be way too damn arty, and should not be considered an anime music video, it's just a normal arty piece, and to call this an AMV means that the definition of an AMV is so incredibly vague, that I could film a clip of an anime with my cell phone, and reduce it to one pixel, and then talk about computer chips and thier ability to produce images, and then put some static to it.
devilmaykickass wrote:Incoming shitstorm.
So be it; that's my opinion, if it offends people, they need a reality check, it's just a message board.
A shit storm indeed, Otbwavelength. As you read this i'm sure everyone who supports the seizure sensation effects of amvs is grabbing their Kooptangles to beat you with and defend themselves with their Hexagons.

I've read threads and more threads of this same topic but i just can't seem to help myself thinking that when people keep talking about taking amvs "to the next level". It just about sounds like a bad DBZ dialogue to me.. :?

AMVS are not fucking caligraphy :/. Caligraphy at least gets PAID anyway and didn't have to STEAL the pens or ink to make it so. Lesbian Graffiti in the women's bathroom is more art than any of our amvs : /.[/spoiler]

Rapture**
Org Profile

Post by Rapture** » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:17 pm

Yokou Seishirou wrote:AMVS are not fucking caligraphy :/. Caligraphy at least gets PAID anyway and didn't have to STEAL the pens or ink to make it so. Lesbian Graffiti in the women's bathroom is more art than any of our amvs : /.

LIES!!!! *runs away crying*

*returns*

I agree that AMVs aren't art - but I think it's just an artistic way to create. Just like artist each artist has his own style (not to count copycats),each AMV editor has his own artistic style too(again,not to count copycats). We can't call AMV editing a real art,but we can call it artistic creativeness. In other words - some kind of art.

And to get closer to the point of the topic - 'Seizuretiffic and Effects' would be like 'Modern Art' , and 'Old School' would be 'Classic Art'.
:D I like laughter ;DD
ImageImage

Return to “General AMV”