First video worthwhile?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CrazyLee
Org Profile

First video worthwhile?

Post by CrazyLee » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:01 pm

I remember back when I was experimenting with doing level design for a video game. I posted a beta of my first level, which was an extensive redesign of a level already in the game. I got quite a bit of harsh critisism (I can't spell >.<) from people, stuff like "you're just editing something already in the game, can't you do something original, blah blah blah".

But what I do remember is almost everyone saying "you should never publish your first map".

Now, I've considered getting into making my own AMVs, but I wonder if this idea applies to them as well. I've seen some people's "firsts" and often they're not as great as the ones they make later on.

Of course, I'm annoyed, as I have what I think are good ideas, but I'm not wanting to use any of them as my cherry popper because I'm afraid it won't be that good, and then I'll ruin my good idea with a shitty video.

How were your "firsts"? Good? Bad? You're embarassed you put them on the Org? Amazingly awesome? So bad you won't even show them to your friends?
"KNUCKLEHEADS! Ready your soramimi cake and eat hearty, for TONIGHT WE DINE IN RASPBERRY HELL!!!" - Ninjaman94

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:09 pm

My first video isn't on here... and yea, it did suck. I'm not ashamed of it or anything, but it was done on a rather old piece of A/V machinery and the VHS ended up getting lost or reused for something else. VHS editing was actually pretty damn fun with such an "advanced" set-up though. It got me into timing things at the very least.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

lynit
Org Profile

Post by lynit » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:25 pm

Now, I've considered getting into making my own AMVs, but I wonder if this idea applies to them as well. I've seen some people's "firsts" and often they're not as great as the ones they make later on.
Actually it depends a bit on effort. People never seem to work as really hard as their later vids on their first (They just wanna slap some video shit). There have been people who have made great first videos. All you gotta do is know what to do (sync, timing, quality, blah blah blah) plus the effort and you should do a good job.

My first vid sucked ass. I was having mad fun doing it though, so that's forgiven. And I like having some sort of proof of my progress here on the Org. But yeah, not many people have downloaded it anyways, so it's all good.
<Stirspeare> Otohiko: You guys sure love dongs.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:03 pm

technically you're supposed to list every video you ever made (good or bad) >.> but if you don't tell then no one will know...

I have my first on this site, (in fact I joined to list my first video)

in its original form it was/is horrid... its still pretty horrid but I've done a bit to clean it up and stuff so its not as horrid as it used to be...

if you want to get used to making videos make short clips that cant really be considered amvs? (or at least full ones) learn your software, and get used to the ins and outs... THEN make a full video

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:20 pm

.. I did my first AMV after seeing quite a few really horrible being uploaded that month.

The people at the ORG had a sense-of-humor that was fading fast! Soooo ...

.. the silly thing was I actually found-out how hard it is to screw-up an AMV .. yeah; it truly is very hard to mess up something "that bad" on purpose and not know it!
:oops:

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:22 pm

POST YOUR FIRST VIDEO. It's a good idea for a few reasons, A. You can have people do opinions on it and give feedback,making your next ones all that muuch better. B. As said, this site was designed to hold ALL amvs, good or bad. C. If you ever delete it or something, tada! It will always be available for download. There's more reasons, but i'm lazy. I regret not posting my first video, i was making amvs for 2 years before i started going to this site. But they were all WMM+subs+linkinpark=phail. So no big loss there.

But i'm considering posting my first one just for shits and giggles.Sublime+love hina=first video? Oh yeah, it was a original one, lol. *reminisces*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Interesting topic!

My first video was actually, literally, the first cuts I ever placed in a video editor. And to this day I'm pretty happy with it. It established my editing approach in a way that it's kept up with even today.

Otherwise it was a sort of experiment and I never counted on much exposure for it, so I'm fine with it. I did commit a few obvious technical faults, but for a 2003 video it definitely held up pretty well.

I don't believe in the whole "first video = bad" thing, perhaps because of this, perhaps also because of great first videos that I've seen.
I really don't see any reason why an editor's first video has to be bad. As long as you know what you're trying to make, there's no reason you can't make it. The real problem is that a lot of new editors are simply not used to investing effort in a way that's efficient, or get so absorbed in the newness of editing that they forget to step back and consider both concept and sync more broadly. Which isn't easy, but far from hard. Just takes a bit of time and some pauses to think of what you're actually doing.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:10 pm

My first video was AMV Hell 3. :amv:

trythil
is
Org Profile

Re: First video worthwhile?

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:16 am

LeeKitten wrote: How were your "firsts"? Good? Bad? You're embarassed you put them on the Org? Amazingly awesome? So bad you won't even show them to your friends?
First:

Latest:

Have a look, if you're interested.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:01 am

My first video is in the catalog, but not downloadable right now, since I'm still trying to find a decent-quality copy of it to upload (and it's on my list of videos to remaster at some point).

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good, either. I'm more embarrassed by some of the videos I made later that summer (some of them are downright AWFUL).

Return to “General AMV”