So...do you have to be...

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
RIPmyprsoul
Org Profile

So...do you have to be...

Post by RIPmyprsoul » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:46 pm

an AMV Editor to be able to tell the difference between a good amv and a bad one? I remember when I was on Boochsack...I mean You.tube and saw this video, now when I watch it, I know it's not all that good even though it has 100,000 views @.0.

How about you guys?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:59 pm

No. If you keep watching videos, eventually you'll have seen enough good ones to get a feel for what separates them from the bad ones, and you'll develop a more discerning taste.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:04 pm

No, you just have to know what you're looking for and what you're dealing with.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:39 pm

i think you need experience as a viewer to be able to tell what is good and what is bad

neorose
Org Profile

Post by neorose » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 pm

I have yet to complete an AMV and I know what a good AMV should be I vote on them every year at AWA. Ya watch about 300+ AMV's every con and ya get to know what is good and what is bad. You learn about tech issues in vids, to over uses of effects,over use of scenes, and so on. And due to my lack of artistic ability to make a(in my opinion)good AMV I have yet to put one out.

Rapture**
Org Profile

Post by Rapture** » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:55 pm

I think that knowing that you like this or that AMV is more important that telling is it good or not..

For topic - Before I joined here,I've seen not much of AMVs,but the ones I saw were very popular ones here, I mean like - Jihaku ; Right Here ; Lost Soul ; Evolution ; Toushi ; Souls Of Rage And Sorro ; Still Preoccupied With 1985 ; Shining Collection ; Darkness Over The Light ; The World Turned Over ; Roseate Nocturne ; Shounen Bushidou ; Whisper Of The Beast ; Bleed The Sky - so,with seeing vids like these,when I came here I already knew a bit somethin about how a good AMV should look like. I guess being editor to tell difference between good or bad AMV..

Hope didn't went off topic too much :sweat:
:D I like laughter ;DD
ImageImage

Rapture**
Org Profile

Post by Rapture** » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:58 pm

Rapture** wrote:I guess being an editor is not a must,to tell difference between good or bad AMV..
:D I like laughter ;DD
ImageImage

Esrhan
Org Profile

Re: So...do you have to be...

Post by Esrhan » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:28 pm

RIPmyprsoul wrote:an AMV Editor to be able to tell the difference between a good amv and a bad one?
Do you have to be a producer to be able to tell the difference between a good and a bad movie? Or how about a writer to distinguish good books from the really horrible ones? Does only a professional computer programmer have the qualifications to critisice Windows Vista?

I think the answer is always the same. You don't have to be anything just to know when something sucks. All you really need is a little bit of experience on the subject, so your opinions and views don't rest on just one example.

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:49 pm

"Good" and "Bad" are matters of opinion. No matter how many videos you watch, or how many projects you edit, there's still going to be videos you think are crap that one to a thousand other people are going to think are awesome.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Thread hijack FTL :?

No, as others have said you don't need to be an editor to have an opinion, but it certainly helps your credibility. Though with the preponderance of people that are of the mindset "anime + music = AMV" it's not enough to say you're an editor. Surprise surprise, but people that suck and think they're good also think that bad videos like their own are great.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “General AMV”