Have Hell Videos Jumped the Shark?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Have Hell Videos Jumped the Shark?

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:43 pm

Just a discution I was having at AWA with a few other developers. Just curious what everyone around here thinks about that.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:50 pm

the IC was awesome XD

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:01 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:the IC was awesome XD
dang I missed the IC, when I got there it was closed off from being too full >.< will they be up for download here?

Hell videos are like American Idol, once the crowd is still demanding it, people will continue to make them.

comedy was very weak this year, Doki pretty much owned comedy this year with his 2 videos, thats pretty sad....

well there was the Jboned video too... :lol: that was a riot

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:01 pm

I don't think they have, necessarily. There isn't, however, a lot of innovation in the genre though. Doki's video definitely brought some interesting stuff to the table. I think there is still a lot that can be done here, people just aren't doing it. This style of video is a great cop-out to making a more traditional comedy video, and people are playing it for every penny it's worth.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:15 pm

AMV Hell like vids are the same as any other AMV. It's POSSIBLE to do new and interesting things with them. Almost no one does, but it is possible. So no, it hasn't jumped the shark anymore than AMVs in general have but it has produced a lot of crap. Sometimes it's intentional crap but still crap.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:38 pm

Usually, when I see a new "A Song For Everyone"-style vid, the individual segments are funny enough that I really don't care about the overarching format in which they're presented.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:53 pm

An AMV variety show with a host in black-tie telling outdated one-liners followed by middle-aged skimpily-clad failed models dancing in the background with equally impressive AMV sketches for filler would've been more amusing.

Vancore
Org Profile

Post by Vancore » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:34 am

I wouldn't say AMV Hell vids jumped the shark anymore then I would say graphically intense vids jumped the shark. I don't even see how that would be possible as AMV's are not a syndicated TV show or a Movie which one giant story encompassing us all. A certian band, show, person can jump a shark but a whole community jumping it would be something else entirely.

Anyway, AMV Hell and those like it are just the thing to do and Comedy vids seem to flourish in it like no tommarrow. Just another form of MEP is all, no cause for alarm. :wink:

Illia Sadri
Org Profile

Post by Illia Sadri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:13 am

I don't think amv hell style blipvert videos are necessarily a bad thing in itself as it can be good for some ideas that really only work for a short duration. However, it has, I believe hurt the comedy genre as a whole as few people even bother trying to make a video that has a full idea.

It's easy to be amusing for 10 seconds and its an easy win with just about any fan voted audience. But there are times it would be nice to see more videos that can pull an idea for longer than that.

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:23 am

amv hell ripoff = cheap con wins

IC winner was a hell ripoff
doki was a hell spinoff
sas was a hell of a bad contest

hell videos should be banned cause you can use as many 1 liners as you want to make people laugh.... its a challenge to accually EDIT an ENTIRE comedy video and make it funny... take aquaclouds videos... she accually mad a whole panda video instead of throwing a 1 liner about pandas in a hell style video... In the amv contest at dragon con... the only comedy videos were amv hell ripoffs... people need to put effort into a whole video... there are many other examples, but quite franky, i think they are overdone and need to be stopped! amv hell is like a DBZ fanboy... we can all tolerate a few as long as their not that bad... but when you get 50 of them it gets fucking annoying...

just my 20 ryno moneys

Return to “General AMV”