YouTube recompressions

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Lostboy
Org Profile

YouTube recompressions

Post by Lostboy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:31 pm

I just found out a bunch of my videos are on YouTube.com. I didn't put any of them there. Some are posted without any kind of credits. Some are recompressed very badly. And some are badly out of sync, by up to a half second. I'm flattered, in a way, that my work has been liked well enough to be shared further by people who like them, but it also annoys me, in a way, since it's not being presented well. Anyone else experiencing this? What're your opinions on having your own videos handled in this way?

Lostboy
Org Profile

Post by Lostboy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 pm

Apparently we aren't allowed to say "youtube" with the space removed...? Weird. You get "hosatchel" when you try. Some kinda joke? What's a hosatchel? Lostboy=clueless

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Suddenly a Lee Thompson appears.

As for hosatchel, we've been discussing this. Try contacting every person that has uploaded your video and see if they will willingly take it down. If not, you're kind of out of luck. :/

I'd make sure to keep including a post in the comments section that the video is yours if they do not take it down, so at least people watching will know whose work it is.

VTW, good to see you again. I haven't seen you in like, yearas. O.o
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Lostboy
Org Profile

Post by Lostboy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:52 pm

Wow, for a minute there, the real website's name was able to exist in my reply as long as I had a space in it. Then it changed to the filtered word, too. Heheh. I guess the mods are on the ball!

Hi Kionon. I don't recognize your username, but I assume we've met, probably at AWA, huh?

Yeah, I haven't been around much. I'm not big with the online presence these days. I poked in here once a couple of months ago, but some people were a little rude and I backed off. You get to be my age, you don't really care about getting that involved when you have to deal with that kinda stuff.

But when this tube-that-shall-not-be-named issue arose, I figured you guys would have the widest array of opinions on it, so I poked in again. :)

I replied on the 'tube to one of my vids, saying essentially "please go to a-m-v.org and download a copy that has good sync, because this one is way off." To the ones that posted fairly good compressions that were in sync and had credits, i thanked the posters for getting it right, and I won't be asking those ppl to take them down.

But yeah, with the ones that are badly done or creditless, I'm gonna go ahead and contact them, asking them to please remove them. Unfortunately, they don't have to if they don't want to, though, do they? Since we really have no legal rights to our videos, per se, given that we made them without permission from the true holders of the copyrights. But, hopefully, the posters of my videos were just fans trying to share them, and will honor my request since they were trying to honor my work.

Rem0
Org Profile

Post by Rem0 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:53 pm

That sucks. You should post them there yourself first so other people can't steal them and do it... ;/ Besides that Yea, just contact them or put up a comment..

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Rem0 wrote:That sucks. You should post them there yourself first so other people can't steal them and do it... ;/ Besides that Yea, just contact them or put up a comment..
that doesnt stop people from uploading them... one of my videos is on there 4 times... 3 of which is without my permission :P (the other one i put up myself the day i finished it)

the tube is what kills the ql and the sync... its happened on a number occasions with my own vids that i uploaded...

most people figure it out that the person who upped it didnt make it... and i sometimes get comments that say "whoever made this did a good job" and i say "thanks i made it"...

either way da tube will probably die soon... especially if they keep having to "crack down" on videos all the time...

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Lostboy wrote:But yeah, with the ones that are badly done or creditless, I'm gonna go ahead and contact them, asking them to please remove them. Unfortunately, they don't have to if they don't want to, though, do they? Since we really have no legal rights to our videos, per se, given that we made them without permission from the true holders of the copyrights.
They don't have the legal rights either, and you can report the video for using copyrighted material.

Lostboy
Org Profile

Post by Lostboy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:03 pm

Melanchthon wrote:
Lostboy wrote:But yeah, with the ones that are badly done or creditless, I'm gonna go ahead and contact them, asking them to please remove them. Unfortunately, they don't have to if they don't want to, though, do they? Since we really have no legal rights to our videos, per se, given that we made them without permission from the true holders of the copyrights.
They don't have the legal rights either, and you can report the video for using copyrighted material.
I could, but I won't. I don't want to start bringing any negative legal attention toward AMVs in general, even if it's to protect my work. In the long run, I don't want to contribute to any harm that may befall the hobby as a whole.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:08 pm

that makes alot of sense... wow nice to see someone not come in kicking and screaming for once :)

and here i just let people upload my stuff there O.o cause i find it flattering :P

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Lostboy wrote:Hi Kionon. I don't recognize your username, but I assume we've met, probably at AWA, huh?
AWA and elsewhere. We've known each other for years. We're both veterans of the con scene. You'd recognize me if you saw me.

When I said I hadn't seen you in years (probably about two), I meant I haven't seen you in person in that long.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General AMV”