Possibly cheaper solution to the Donut?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
BishounenStalker
Org Profile

Possibly cheaper solution to the Donut?

Post by BishounenStalker » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:03 pm

I'm sure I'm not the first one to bring this up, but I'll take a bash at it anyway.

I read up on the cost breakdown of the Golden Donut and my first thought was: "There's GOT to be another way." I think I might've found one.

In the Sticky thread concerning hosting, FTP is mentioned as yet another way of distributing AMVs. So here's an idea: the people with enormous hard drives, really good internet connections (cable or better), and the ability to have their computers running nearly 24/7 form a sort of FTP network.

Considering you can set up an FTP server for free (GuildFTPd is a good, reliable, 100% free program), hosting extra videos that people upload to you via FTP would be of no extra cost to you. And with Guild, you can put user limits on your FTP server to keep your connection smooth. That way, nobody needs to pay circa $50,000 a year for disk space and bandwidth and we can keep the Org free. Because we'd be using our own ISPs as the bandwidth.

The thing is, this should be set up for people who honestly have no hosting and can't afford any.

Any ideas?

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sun Dec 01, 2002 5:17 pm

Who here has a killer internet connection with killer upload bandwidth? Who has a ISP that allows servers using the killer bandwidth?

{tumble weed}

I didn't think so. :roll:

If we're going to host our files, we might as well do it right. I think Phade has the right idea with what he setup there. :twisted:

~klinky

Gottaname
Org Profile

More like we do this...

Post by Gottaname » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:08 pm

Why don't some of us sign-up for reseller accounts and sell space cheap, we then can have cheap webhosting but high quality bandwidth...

klinky
Org Profile

Re: More like we do this...

Post by klinky » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:14 pm

Gottaname wrote:Why don't some of us sign-up for reseller accounts and sell space cheap, we then can have cheap webhosting but high quality bandwidth...

Who is willing to take on the burden? Who could actually pay for that or legally purchase it ? Would the person who does it, really trust the people to pay the monthly fee? :roll:

:p Of course the same questions could apply for the Donut, but Phade is more realiable then any of us here :p

~klinky

Return to “General AMV”