Ek leaving... and maybe me too

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Wonka
Org Profile

Re: Mad Props to EK and Joe

Post by Wonka » Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:28 pm

Fluxmeister wrote:Whether you leave the site or not, thanks for sharing your work, your time, and your opinions with us.

Keep up the great work and the best of luck to you in your many endeavors.

... honestly, tons of people deserve the above 2 statements ...
Well put Fluxy. :D
My goodness, drama is running at an all time high across the entire internet. Ah well.

OmniStrata
Org Profile

To do what is Right...

Post by OmniStrata » Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:35 pm

It'll be sad to see you both go, but if I cared fully of what people think, then MJ would have been right and I would have quit a while ago.

I'm here to have fun and to WIN darn it! And if I fall down, martial arts discipline states that I have to stand up again! It is fine to be affected by what others think but who are you making vids for? Them? or Yourself?

I'm making vids that are mostly crowd pleasers but I like to look at them myself. I agree with ErMaC. This is a site to promote videos. If I get bashed and baked, why should I be affected THAT much?

I will take it in stride and simply make more videos. Thankfully, I seem to be building a meager fanbase. I hope I can do better than my best to create videos for all of you to enjoy.

Thank you and goodbye. I'll see you all laterz... ^_^
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Re: Woop dee dooo :p

Post by SpPANDA » Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:48 pm

klinky wrote:EK = good artist, does it mean I care if she doesn't want to stick around, no.....
what or who is an EK?

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

People leaving

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:14 am

Oy, if everyone thoughtful leaves, what's left? I just joined maybe a month ago and I've written maybe 6 or 7 reviews - all as in-depth as I could make them. Sure this site is corrupt in a way and sometimes useless but frankly it has more positives than many I've seen or been a part of. But once people with a powerful and intelligent input leave, all there is the corrupt. Maybe corrupt is a little too strong of a word, but I'll stick with it. I don't really expect anyone to stay when they're planning to leave based on what I say, but... ahhh, I don't know. I just think this site still has many good aspects and without them it's just any other site.

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:45 am

MaboroshiStudio wrote:klinky,
I am not looking for any sympathy... try reading more carefully I was only talking about the site and what I don't like about it / where it is headed. I have been active on the site in a couple of the forums, and I find your post to be rather rude... like you saying, I could care less what you have to say so get out and don't let the door hit you in the ass (totally missing the point I was making).

I was commenting on the current state of a-m-v.org imho and why I have issues with it. I don't see what your comments have to do with what i posted. If I didn't care I would just leave, but I would rather voice my concern and how the site could improve vs. just leaving.

"Ek leaving... and maybe me too" <---looks like sympathy...

Now if you weren't threathening me, then maybe I would care....
We've had numerous discussions on bad reviewers, shitheads, scums, dragon ball Z creators and ErMaC. So yes, there are stupid people out there... whoop dee doo... ErMaC is not actually stupid, just there were alot of posts about him...

~klinky

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:49 am

Klinky....

that was such a none post ^_^

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:54 am

Geez, I've notice a lot of tension that had been building up for a week or two. Still, I'd have to say I'm kind of shocked about what's happening. I feel somewhat mournful. EK is one of the artists, and I really do mean artist, that I look up to and respect. I strive to be more like her, as well as other great creators.

I've always been slightly naïve throughout my life, but the past few years, I've wisened up some. People who knew me years ago who know me now can see a significant change. I was very volatile and uncaring. If I were the same person, my attitude would be that of good riddence. If you didn't want to be here, then go away and shut up about it. Now, I really care and connect to people. Now, I feel like it's a mini-funeral. I mean, EK's not gone, I can still IM her, and she'll still make videos, but it's different now. It's like going away to college out of state, and you know no one there.

a-m-v.org is going through a major transition, there's no arguement there. There's an influx of new blood, and the masters are becoming more distant. I feel a next generation of elite creators is being born. Many of the masters are not as active as they once were, and new talent is emerging to take their place. Although it's sad to think this, it's what's happening. I, for one, wish to learn as much as I can from the greats, so that I can incorporate their skill into my videos, and to create new ideas. Like iserlohn said, "It would be sad to see some of the more established people go, as they do provide useful knowledge and an awareness of reality that many new people simply don't." We need to soak up this knowledge. Right now, they are the teachers and we are the students. We will have are time as teachers, too, sooner than you may think.

I know I am somewhat off of Joe's topic, but I'm trying to tie this into it at the end. It is unfortunate that the opinions and negativity of this site has turned off members, EK among them. As for myself, I try not to let any of it get to me. I say try because I can never guarentee that something won't bother me. It's like saying "When I'm famous, I'm not going to buy a 7 bedroom house and a catalog of high-end cars." You never know what you'll do if you're put in that situation until you are. As EK said, she came into AMV making because it was fun for her, and she liked it. Reaching emmence popularity, she unknowingly forgot her reasons and "got so concerned with doing it *right according to everyone else.*"

Could this have been prevented if there was a different Opinions system? Or was it fated to happen? Only God knows. Perhaps there is something wrong with the way feedback is expressed on this web page. Only phade can change that. I hate to sound cold saying this, but so what? I, for one, have gotten a total of 13 reviews. Most good, but some not so. I try to take the time to respond to every aspect of that person's review. I feel somewhat obligated to. They took the time to write me something in response to one of my videos. Other people might not think like this, but that's their business, not mine.

Some responses I can sum up in in a few sentences, where as others, like MJ's and Beef's, take me a few days. I still haven't finished my response to Beef's opinion of one of my videos. I always make sure to thank the person for their opinion that they took time to write. I don't care if that time was two minutes or two days, I thank them the same. It's great to know that people react to your creations. That's the second reason I make videos, the first being I take pleasure in doing them. Self-expression and artistic outlet. I wouldn't make them if I weren't making them for myself first and foremost. If other people dig them, then I'm glad I could share my creativity with them.

All in all, I would, well...I want to apologize for writing so much. If you read the whole thing, then thanks, I guess. I think I said pretty much all that I wanted, or at least all that I could express in words. I would like to end with a quote that I hold true, and I don't know who said it unfortuantely: "You can't please everyone all the time. Someone's always going to think differently." I think that kind of ties in with what I said, don't you think? If you would like to express your opinion to me, please IM me at Rozard, or e-mail me at Rozard@aol.com Again, thanks, and peace be with you.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:55 am

Is too bad if you do leave Joe, but the funny thing is that no matter where you go these days there will always be "politics" the creep into everything. Quite a bit of these threads had gotton a bit disturbing, but then again this happens no matter what dicussion group you go to these days in one form or another (A few always will spoil it for the rest). I just think of the possitive stuff and ignore or filter out the negative.

In terms of the reviews, I like the concept about feedback about my videos. Like everything else, One has to filter through them all and read the ones that actually have any meaning. No matter were you go, human nature will not change in this respect so if I get say 10 reviews, I'll be happy if 2 or 3 give me some positive feedback. Some of the feedback I have gotten has help considerably so it makes it worth the effort!

Vlad

punistation
Org Profile

Post by punistation » Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:06 am

Klinky a lil' rude? He ain't the only one who see's your post in a different light. But then, you expected that, right Mabo~san? That's why you ended with a disclaimer.

"I just find the amount of countless fan worship reviews vs intelligent ones to be appalling...

...far be it from me to look down on the AMV elite, but I think that's a load of rot.

a-m-v.org is a database to catalogue as many AMV's as want to be submitted, nothing more. This place is what you want it to be, and you can't complain that's it's no longer suited to your needs. It don't work like that.

You don't like the review system? No-one's forcing you to read 'em. Quit whining. If you only want thoughtful, in-depth, intellectual reviews on the technicalities/artistic merit ONLY, then you post in the AMV summery: "thoughtful, in-depth, intellectual reviews on the technicalities/artistic merit ONLY". Otherwise, you have no right to complain about what a person can or can't say.

Reviews like "I liked your AMV" piss you off? Poor baby. It's elitism like that that's been dragging a-m-v.org down. In my unlearned opinion, we're all better off with people like you gone. Give a-m-v.org back to the people, away from the artists and professionals.

EK's going? Sad... yet I don't know the reason why, so I can't comment. We had good times. She said she loved me and I called her Optimus. It was this thing we did... *sniff*

Maboroshi's thinking about leaving? Good. I WANT you to leave. The fact that you have to proclaim to all and sundry that you... YOU... might be FORCED to leave if things aren't changed for your betterment is sign enough that you think you're being here is an honour for us. Oh glory be, Maboroshi walks among us...

"I don't see the benefit of it anymore when the majority of reviewers are fans..."
Yeah. The LAST people you want to hear feedback from are fans.

GOD, you sicken me. a-m-v.org isn't a special clubhouse for creators only. This place is a community open for AMV makers and lovers alike, and we don't have a door standard. If you want a place where AMV makers ONLY can come together, away from those icky fans who... like, watch your AMV's... then go make your own private mailing list. The ability to review an AMV, like a-m-v.org itself, is for everyone, not just for people whom you deem worthy.

Me, I like reviews. I live for 'em. When I make AMV's, I make 'em for people to watch. Y'know... people? Out there? Those humans who aren't me? I like it when I receive reviews, good or bad, wether it be from a member of the self-proclaimed AMV royalty, or from some kid on his parent's computer who likes anime. I don't cast judgement on someone depending on their typographical eloquence or the ability to notice the frames that were inversely telecined. The numbers affecting my ranking in the Top 10%? Doesn't bother me, since my place on the Top 10% doesn't change how I feel about my AMV's.

If someone, fan or creator, took the time to review my AMV's, that makes me feel good. I don't look at reviews and say "Ugh. Only 60 words? Gawd, I HATE these fan reviews. Why do these people even bother writing about my AMV? Have THEY ever made one? Who are they to even speak of my creation?"

If you only want your AMV to be watched and reviewed by the learned, or people you deem fit to review your work, then DON'T come here. Don't tell anyone about your AMV. Send an E-mail to your kindred and ask them what they think. You don't like the public writing reviews on your AMV's? Here's an idea: DON'T read 'em. Don't go all pissy that the Review System doesn't have an Only-people-I-respect filter.

"...all boils down to is a popularity contest."
Uh-huh. Tell me, are you just miffed that people are praising your AMV to boost it's popularity instead of the qualified impartial review you demand... or are you just indignant that your Sleep Now AMV is listed at #35 in the CREATOR ranked TOP 10, while DokiDoki's "Right Now" is right up the top? That must really infuriate you, what with it featuring live-action footage. It's not a pure ANIME music video! It should banned from a-m-v.org, along with all those Game Music Videos and American Animation Music Videos... ne?

"Sleep Now" at #35? Oh that's just because the above 34 are getting IMPURE reviews to boost their popularity. If everyone made qualified impartial reviews, I would be No. 01! I know I would. I pity those 34 above me... their ranking is totally without merit."

Get out, Maboroshi. Go away, and take your elitist friends with you. Anyone who feels that they should deliver an ultimatum that if things aren't done the way they say it should, then they're leaving... should get the Hell out right now. Should we feel sad that you... YOU... may disaprove about an aspect of a-m-v.org? Why should we care more about what YOU think, as opposed to everyone else? Oh, that's right... you're YOU.

I am Punistation, and I dislike the numbers part of the Review system too. Not because it's being used to boost popularity of AMV's that are NOT mine, but because I think it's too much work for potential reviewers to do. I think people are willing to mention what they liked and disliked, but having to disect each aspect and merit it on a 1-10 scale? Ugh. Too much trouble.

I may not like the Review System, but I am not so arrogant that I would threaten to deny the a-m-v.org community the honour of my presence if it is not tailored to me on demand.

Kisses XXOOXX
Jen

(P.S. Hey, I bet you're one of those people who think only business owners should vote in elections. The public getting a vote? pfff. What do THEY no about how government works? It's not won on policy. It's nothing but a popularity contest!)

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:08 am

Amen to that Tim :D

Return to “General AMV”