Ek leaving... and maybe me too

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Ek leaving... and maybe me too

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:39 pm

It is odd that EK is leaving... since it is something I have often debated doing as well. I often find the negative of a-m-v.org outweighs the positive. When I get my site back up I doubt I will even enter another video to this site. I just find the amount of countless fan worship reviews vs intelligent ones to be appalling and makes me loose faith in the fans. I like having fans being able to have access to my videos and all, but I no longer want to be a part of the reviewing process of this site since I think it is flawed on many levels...

I don't see the benefit of it anymore when the majority of reviewers are fans and it is like a popularity contest (perfect 10s) for their favorite video. I don't think that should be the objective of this site and serves no purpose, and that is how I feel in general about the reviews now. I used to care, but I really usually only value the opinions of the people I truly respect. It is nice to know what other people think, but I don't think everyone here is very objective when they review and if I had to come up with a percentage that are it would be very small. So I really question why have the reviewing process... why not thumbs up and down simply recommending the video not getting into specifics. Especially when I don't think that is what fans should be doing since I don't think many are objective with the current reviewing process. They can recommend it and write a quick blurb why they liked it. I just don't see the purpose in the reviewing system as of current especially for fans when it all boils down to is a popularity contest... same could be said for a great deal of the creator / reviewers. This site shouldn't be about this video is better... your video sucks... I love this video so I will give it perfect 10s so it is number one.

This is not meant as an insult to people, but this is a problem I see and I would like to question the validity of the current reviewing system. Just like the VCA awards last year, I didn't want to have anything to do with it and I don't want to feel this way about a-m-v.org as well.

maboroshi studio

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:44 pm

Well Joe, I am also finding it peculiar for EK leaving. Sad to see her go.

I also have to agree with you. Though I really enjoy giving in depth reviews. I find that many of the members here lack an open mind or the ability to give an honest indepth review. We have discussed this before and I am with you 100% on the non-creators having a thumbs-up, thumbs-down, maybe sideways-thumb. I don't believe any video on this site deserves all 10's but if I were to see one I'd expect to see everything back up in the review. This is never the case. If we could maybe limit creators to giving full out reviews and non-creators to the thumbs thing it would be perfect.
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:50 pm

I don't really visit this site for the reviews or the contests. I visit here to talk with people who I enjoy talking to (AD, jBone, EK, Hsien, and others too numerous to mention) and to simply promote my videos. Having a listing here at a-m-v.org gives my videos more exposure and that's what I'm really interested in.

The whole reviewing process is rather silly. Although I certainly enjoy reading them (especially rather in depth ones) I very rarely will do anything about the comments. The video is usually finished entirely once it's reviewable and so the comments people leave really give me nothing other than guaging public reaction which isn't the real reason I put my AMVs on this site anyways.

But I hang around here because of the social aspect, and while there are a lot of people who like to spoil that social aspect, I choose to wade through them and try to enjoy myself.

TokyoU15
Org Profile

Post by TokyoU15 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:53 pm

Actually, more than 80% of my reviews are objective, I have seen that the more popular videos and creators just get a "REALLY COOL!!!!!! 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10!!!!!"

I don't dig that, but if you want in depth reviews with objections just ask and you got it! ^_^

Hitori
Org Profile

Post by Hitori » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:59 pm

That is a valid response to what has happened and still is happening to the a-m-v.org community. It is also how our world is like right now. Nothing but popularity this and that.... I'm pretty sick of it as well. The whole reviewing process should be changed to something more like what Joe and TobinHood just explained. There is a lower possibility of "fixed" voting by friends of the creator to give good reviews with all 10's.... AMV creators should have the luxury of being more indepth with reviewing other creators' AMVs. Where as the Fans should only be able to give the "Highly Recommended Viewing" vote or "Nothing Much to See Here" vote to the videos they have downloaded and seen themselves and the ability to give a comment on why they liked it or didn't. To clear this up, AMV creators would make good use of the current reviewing process and the Fans would have the Good/Bad vote with a comment on the video. I hope this kinda makes sense... Ggggrrrr... Oh well, someone might be able to clear it up or something.... ^_^'

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:22 pm

It's sad to see EK go. It would be sad to see some of the more established people go, as they do provide useful knowledge and an awareness of reality that many new people simply don't.

That being said, I think a lot of people on being ready to leave the site most of the time. It's annoying to read nothing but flames or insult posts or useless tripe. I'm really starting to wonder why I read half the sites I do anymore, whether it's just out of habit or if I'm really getting something out of it. It's sad when I check 7 mailing lists or forums daily and the only even slightly intelligent one is the list discussing childrens' books (Harry Potter for Grownups.)

I think it's time for the community to grow up and start acting reasonably mature. This means acting like the adult you are or the one you will be soon enough. In the meantime, I wonder if anyone's archived EK's dancing dino.

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:33 pm

I'm deeply sad to hear about EK going.
Till now this is the first I've heard of it.
Man that sucks, she helped me a lot on music. We like the same corny music.

Well I understand about the whole creators thing with the opinions. But for me, when I give an opinion on an AMV and the creator doesn't reply to it to say 'Thank you" or debate it, I no longer give reviews to that creator.
I did in the beggining but I stopped because a lot of creators just look at it and then don't bother replying to it.
I mean heck I know their busy but I'd like to know that my opinion helped something and was not just an excuse to raise your score.

That's my two Pennies.

:( Bye EK

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:42 pm

DiemondDagger wrote:I'm deeply sad to hear about EK going.
Well I understand about the whole creators thing with the opinions. But for me, when I give an opinion on an AMV and the creator doesn't reply to it to say 'Thank you" or debate it, I no longer give reviews to that creator.
I did in the beggining but I stopped because a lot of creators just look at it and then don't bother replying to it.
I mean heck I know their busy but I'd like to know that my opinion helped something and was not just an excuse to raise your score.
I totally agree with this DD.

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:49 pm

:D Yay someone who agree's with my opinion :D

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:00 pm

I always leave a response to the people who take time to review my videos, and it always pisses me off when people don't reply to me when I take the time to review a video as my opinions are rather large and in depth like your own.

This is kinda leaning off Joe's topic a little though isn't it?
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

Return to “General AMV”