Ek leaving... and maybe me too

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Re: JBone is the bomb!

Post by dokidoki » Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:57 am

OmniStrata wrote:YOU (points to dokidoki) are MINE!
I am? Well, pucker up...

(kidding... >ptooie!<)

KZ: Well said. Out of curiousity, which cons have you been to so far this year?

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:13 pm

[quote="klinky]
like "I hated the song", "Dragon Ball Z is stupid",

~klinky[/quote]

umm, the thing is there for entertainment, public enjoyment... if not than why release it publicly? Therefore why would 'I didn't enjoy the song (a phrase I use alot ;-p)' be stupid? maybe something like 'LPZ is d00m!', this current LPZ thing is pretty stupid but I enjoy it anyway, is pretty stupid but not if you just say 'the clips you chose don't make sence!' see what I'm sayin?? blame the playa not the game!

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:06 pm

punistation wrote:and this other big bloke starts with the "No! You're alive! So live!" thing. (Oy, talk about watching one too many EVA episodes...)
then he goes onto say 'E=MC squared! Energy equals Mass times Force (or something, don't blame me!! I'm in college!) is einsteins theory saying that since the alcohal went in it is being mixed around with such force that, depending on this guy's weight (and I'd guess him to be ~150 pounds!), the vomit will come out with SUCH energy that it could fill 100 balloons!! And 'OH!' the stench!! The fumes could keep the balloons filled for days!

OK something like that... but I beleive that was Otakon Documentary ;-p now that I think of it, another great thing that is/ was available on Joe's sight. The vid that allowed me too meet the beauty that is EK....

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:46 pm

*cough* Stalker :twisted:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:33 pm

*Activates his bathroom cameras*

Hehe... 8)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Re: JBone is the bomb!

Post by Chaos Angel » Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:35 pm

OmniStrata wrote:I WILL BE THE ONE!
He IS "The One"...

Can you dodge bullets, Omnistrata?
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

outlawed
Org Profile

The Golden Age of AMV's is over.

Post by outlawed » Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:05 pm

StudioKZ wrote:There's more to it than that, Joe.
Totally agree. You beat me to it StudioKZ. And for the record I also agree with Joe. Except I personally go a little farther in what I would prefer (no reviews and no linking to files from the database).

There's pretty much only one forum I actively watch and that is the convention contest one. Signal to noise in the rest sucks but there's not that much you can do about it when there are users in the five digits registered.

The problem with a lot of the new makers out here is that they approach from the wrong direction. I remember first seeing a post from someone on the AML ML about how they were going to take the AMV scene by storm quite sometime back. It was by that point that I had to laugh. "AMV Scene" WTF is that. And now it's gotten worse. You have all these people doing this just because they think it is cool to make an AMV (the in thing if you will). A lot of people would do themselves a lot of good if they didn't take this stuff so seriously. How the hell can someone go off about why they didn't get in a contest or how they were screwed? Perfectly fine to comment on others work but certainly not your own. Maybe the fact they didn't make the cut should indicate something to them.

We don't have many good new AMVs now because they come a dime a dozen that are all style and no substance. It's nice if your video has the fanciest effects and all but it's pointless if you don't start with a good idea or put your own emotion and creativity in it.
I'd rather see VCR edited stuff that's interesting than stuff with fancy effects or great editing that goes nowhere. Now I have no problem with people making AMV's and I think it is good that so many people are making AMVs (I remember a conversation I once had where I said I didn't care if everyone made only Eva videos). What I have a problem with is all these people busting onto this board shouting about how good they are and that you need to go download their videos. If you want people to download them that's fine but people used to earn this by word of mouth and conventions. Now everyone is trying to push their stuff onto you. I don't care if anyone sees my videos via the internet. If someone would like to see my stuff then I arrange it. That's what e-mails and personal websites are for. I don't like the idea of how this site seems to focus with many of you on getting hits to your videos. It's cool if it happens but so many are spending their time time

The Golden Age of AMV's online was 1999-mid 2000 on the AMV ML. A lot of great discussions and great information was shared by a lot of people. Where's that kind of spirit here? There aren't many people around like the Terry Chu's or Duane Johnsons' of the past.

Personally I would like to see reviews removed (yes I'm a radical). If someone wants to contact a person about a video then they can and their opinion or thanks would probably be of more use. The top AMV lists and especially links to files directly from the database serve only to increase the concept of getting hits to your video files. I can live with reviews though but I really wish there weren't direct links from the database anymore. I don't have a problem with the idea of links from reviews but in reality it's become such a negative that I think it adds to a growing cancer (fixation on getting downloads instead of actually making AMV's).

I think post-AX results will be very interesting. I'm curious to see how many crybabies there are about how they got screwed in the contest or how things should have happened. Before they cray about how they got screwed maybe they should contemplate what not getting in might mean.

I think the real big issue everyone should contemplate about is what type of image they want to represent the AMV community as. From the viewpoint of outsiders the online image is not good.

So go make AMV's, enter a con maybe, show them to your friends but don't expect that you've earned some right to get downloads or to become the greatest AMV creator of all time (because there isn't one). Learn to be happy in the fact that you made something. But don't look to something people like to call the "AMV scene" for fulfillment.

Summanaro
Org Profile

Post by Summanaro » Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:26 pm

Okay from what I know(only read the first page) EK isn't exactly leaving, still going to be around, but just not going to be around much. That's what it sounded like to me in her journal..
your mom.

NPC3000
Org Profile

Re: The Golden Age of AMV's is over.

Post by NPC3000 » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:33 pm

outlawed wrote: Personally I would like to see reviews removed (yes I'm a radical). If someone wants to contact a person about a video then they can and their opinion or thanks would probably be of more use. The top AMV lists and especially links to files directly from the database serve only to increase the concept of getting hits to your video files. I can live with reviews though but I really wish there weren't direct links from the database anymore. I don't have a problem with the idea of links from reviews but in reality it's become such a negative that I think it adds to a growing cancer (fixation on getting downloads instead of actually making AMV's).
If we get rid of reviews on this site then the communal ideas that we have of what makes an AMV good or bad will be ruined, and part of the spirit of this website will be ruined right along with it.

Nobody is going to watch some newbie's crappy first video and take the time to write them an e-mail telling them in detail how to change their editing habits so they can make something better in the future. The only feedback anyone will get is if they make something excellent and get an "OMG you're a brilliant creator! this is a great video!!! etc etc etc". You know what that's called? Fanmail. Constructive criticism in AMVs will be gone.

Part of the purpose of this site is that we decide what makes a video good and bad and teach this to the newbies that submit them. Without the encouragement to think about these things we're basically a bunch of fanboys and fangirls. And the site will become nothing more than a list of every AMV in existence…with a fanbased chatroom and forum to accompany. At that point, if I were Phade, I'd seriously consider shutting the site off all together because, who really wants to waste their time maintaining a big AMV list that will just sit there and expand for all eternity?

You're suggestion about removing reviews from the website to me, seems like it will be more harmful to AMV making than helpful. Yes it will cut down on competition but it will also cut down on the number of creators working to make good videos and the rate at which creators progress. Believe it or not, reviews are helpful to some of the people on this website as is the site itself. I really doubt I would be making AMVs myself without a-m-v.org and the forum and reviews that it provides.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Re: The Golden Age of AMV's is over.

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:51 pm

NPC3000 wrote:
outlawed wrote:
If we get rid of reviews on this site then the communal ideas that we have of what makes an AMV good or bad will be ruined, and part of the spirit of this website will be ruined right along with it.
and my point is that the lack of objective reviews DEVALUE this system so imho it is already tainted / ruined... with a lot of these so-called reviews which are just praise imho. These reviews skew what is considered to be good and creates a bad stereo-type of the ideal video. You can love a video, but that doesn't mean look beyond the faults of that video which I feel a good percentage of reviews do. I understand your point, but you are talking in regards to a perfect world... where all reviews are insightful, objective, and unbiased. Simply put that isn't the reality of a-m-v.org and why we feel that it is currently hurting the amv community in our honest humble opinions.

Return to “General AMV”