"Piracy Policies"... Not me!

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Rob Kenchu
Org Profile

Post by Rob Kenchu » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:46 pm

you people... did you animate the shows? hm? did you? did you go through all the time and effort required to make the original shows? no, we just piece it together with a song we didn’t write, sing or market. How can you be like this with stuff that isn’t even yours to begin with? Isn’t that just a little hypocritical?

not meaning to sound harsh, but come on now.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:59 pm

ok... this is turning ugly, much like a previous thread already had the discussion on this.. :? I think thats why it was taken off in the first place...

/me starts the dead body trail count..

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:15 am

Rob Kenchu wrote:you people... did you animate the shows? hm? did you? did you go through all the time and effort required to make the original shows?
I actually come close there in my current vids (Light of Day and my yet-to-be-released work) In both of these I have a significant amount of original footage. So, the whole "isn't even yours to begin with" statement... sometimes it just doesn't work.

MistyCaldwell
Org Profile

Post by MistyCaldwell » Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:12 am

Rob Kenchu wrote:you people... did you animate the shows? hm? did you? did you go through all the time and effort required to make the original shows? no, we just piece it together with a song we didn’t write, sing or market. How can you be like this with stuff that isn’t even yours to begin with? Isn’t that just a little hypocritical?
Yeah, I think this statement shows what this topic is really about.

There's no need to justify anything if you are going to do it anyway. Most people have their own set opinions about what is right and wrong about using other people's captured footage with or without using edits such as cuts, fades, overlays..etc.

You came here to discuss your opinion yes? Some people have said they don't agree and state their opinions back. Some people feel the only thing that makes an amv 'theirs' is the edits and appreciate some credit. Others could care less. Opinions around here sometimes resemble blunt painful objects that others use to beat each other over the head with...over...and over.....this thread looks cut out to be another one of that kind. :?

And to be truthful, in my post I wasn't even talking about using other people's amvs. I was talking about using downloaded footage in general. And that I think it looks crappy. For that reason alone, I would think it should be discouraged to do so....not forbidden. It just shows bad quality, but you can do it if you want.

Telling people if their names weren't in the credits of a show or they have no place to claim the amv as their own is a well-known around the amv community.

If you use someone else's video and they don't like it, the worst you can expect is some poison tainted hate mail from someone you don't even know. If you really lose sleep over it then perhaps you need a thicker skin. If someone takes pieces of your video without asking, write it off as a tax exempt donation for the poor (using the excuse stated earlier about money) and just ignore it though I do know it can be annoying.

In the words of the now MIA jbone, we can all just get over it.

Katara
Org Profile

Let me CLARIFY a few things

Post by Katara » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:26 am

Hello there, my handle is Katara, I form the other half of More Better Studios along with Rob who started this little thread which has garnered a bit more attention, a bit more NEGATIVE attention then it probably deserved. Most people have the wrong idea about this whole "Give Credit Where It's Due" Policy.

First of all Rob and I are part of a "newer" generation of AMV makers, we've been doing this shit for about 2 years now. Not quite old school, but not really newbies at this. When we first started out making vids, we struggled. We had no friggin' idea where to purchase a capture card, let alone what the damned thing was. DVDs were a bit out of our price range (in fact they still are sometimes) and the ONLY thing we had was other people's clips.

We started off using Windows Movie Maker, it's not something we're proud to admit, but a majority of you use it, and don't deny it damnit. Dragonball Z was the big thing back then, we did Dragonball Z vids, left and right, some good, some horrible. No one ever helped us out, we figured this crap out all by ourselves. As Rob and I became more skilled and got better programming (Premiere, various programs and techniques to get high quality clips) we never forgot the fact that we once were newbies at this, as were you all.

When More Better Studios came into existence around a year ago, we wanted to help out newer AMV makers, to share with them the expirience that we had to learn the HARD way. We hit upon the idea of not being total asses with our videos. Most sites have a strict "don't use my clips for anything you asshole" policy, but we wanted something different, something that you know, ENCOURAGED people, not deter them. AMV making is about making a vid that YOU like and Otakon Convention and the rest of the world be damned. It's not about winning awards or seeing who can have the flashiest vids. Alot of people have forgotten this, Rob and I want to revive it.

First of all we want to provide high quality vids for people that don't have access to such equipment. They're broke, or simply cannot purchase the equipment at this time for any number of reasons. It's easier to simply use clips from other AMVs and splice them together to form a new vid. Personally, Rob and I are honored to have people wanting to use our clips, we feel that if the quality looks that damned good to someone else, then all our toil in learning how to MAKE it look that good is worth it. If they want to use our clips, so be it, all we ask is a little credit. Let me address what appears to be the most major arguement of some of you people.

You seem to have this idea that adding transitions and various fades makes the vid legally "yours" or that somehow gives you some kind of right to demand WHAT is to be done with it. I know you worked hard to rip and covert that vid (I know trust me, I have entire shows on my computer, each DVD taking around 8-9 hours apiece to convert) but COME ON, be a little more lenient here.

Whenever I personally finish a vid and I go and SHARE it with people, then it's not just mine, I am freely distributing a video that I want people to enjoy, therefore it's not just "mine" it techincally belongs to everyone. The ONLY thing Rob or myself ask in return for using our clips in a vid, is that you just say in the vid or on your website, where you got the clips from. Thats it. We're not twisting your arm to do this stuff. It'd be nice if people obeyed the policy, but how many do or not is really up in the air at this point.

If someone emailed me asking me to use clips from my AMVs in their own vids my response would be, "Go for it and let me see it when your done." We want to see what they're doing with our clips, offer constructive criticism, offer encouragement, and hey, offer them a link from our site if we like the vid that much, maybe giving them a boost in both popularity and confidence.

AMV makers are currently a scattered lot, we need to be a bit more centralized. I'm afraid that attending Otakon or being a part of the Anime Webring isn't going to cut it, there should be a set guidelines that can help people become better AMV makers. Now i'm not calling them "rules" because rules can be easily made and broken, but guidelines are there for help, not to order you around. If you want to be nice about using our clips, we'll be nice to you, try to help you out, give you some links, help you develop your vids, etc. But should you be a total ass and use our vids without permission, then there would be a community response, no single email from one person. The AMV Community would be able to ban together and know that this person is a bastard who uses other people's clips and doesn't give any credit for them.

If someone wants to use a part from Rob's or my own vid, hey thats fine, we just want a plug for it. Free advertising really. Should a newbie AMV maker become very good at what they do, we'd like them to look favorably upon More Better Studios in the future and not think of us as a bunch of conservative AMV assholes who tried to hold them down.

Whether you love it or hate it, people will pirate your vids. Most of the time its done because they have little choice and really no other options, as I said from the story at the beginning, Rob and I have traveled this road, and we would have appreciated any help that would have been offered to us, but most AMV makers feel that they are "superior" to the rest of the AMV crowd, and therefore shun it.

Don't deny it damint, you all do it, when you see a vid that you don't like and roll your eyes and say, "MY vid is SO much better!"
Most AMV makers don't answer questions about their craft saying, "You have to learn yourself," meaning that if I suffered, you have to suffer.

One particular AMV maker wrote on his website about how if you didn't know what a certain convention was, you weren't a TRUE AMV maker. If being an AMV maker is all about winning contests, then its not really a hobby I'd like to engage in.

Most people got their panties in a knot about this policy, due to the fact that they don't want to share their clips from their vids. We're not talking about original source clips here, Rob and my own source clips are quite litterally gigs and number in the dozens. But if someone wants to use something from one of my completed music videos, then hey as long as they ask me or give me credit, I'm all for it.

Well folks, I hope I cleared up a few things for you, probably not, but what the hell, I never was very articulate.

Cheers,
Katara

paizuri
Org Profile

Re: Let me CLARIFY a few things

Post by paizuri » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:45 am

Katara wrote:Personally, Rob and I are honored to have people wanting to use our clips, we feel that if the quality looks that damned good to someone else, then all our toil in learning how to MAKE it look that good is worth it. If they want to use our clips, so be it, all we ask is a little credit. Let me address what appears to be the most major arguement of some of you people.

You seem to have this idea that adding transitions and various fades makes the vid legally "yours" or that somehow gives you some kind of right to demand WHAT is to be done with it.
Well, not to be a stickler about things, but video editing can be more than just a few transitions and fades. Innovative people are doing much more these days than merely slapping scenes together.

I think the majority of the people here (but I could be wrong) probably wouldn't mind TOO much if footage from their videos was used as long as they were credited for it. But I think it's just common courtesy to at least contact them and inform them of your intentions first. How would you feel if everyone was talking about this great new video and how the person that made it is a genius and then when you watch it you find out that all the "cool" parts were from your videos? Would you just keep quiet about it?

Obviously you have your own opinions about the way things should be. But so does everyone else. You can respect them or not as you please, but don't lump everyone into the same category based on 1 or 2 people.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Katara
Org Profile

Post by Katara » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:16 pm

Personally, if this great new vid uses my clips and is so good? I'd congratulate the person, if they made a better vid out of it then I did, then hey, maybe they got a certain talent that I don't have. I WANT to see vids made using my clips, but you have to face facts most of the time, people that use other peoples clips don't make vids that achieve massive recognition, the whole purpose of this, is to get people started in AMV making, not to make people who've been doing AMV making for years have another award under their belt.

If the person stiffed me over on credit for the clips, then I would get pissed, but its not like we're being unreasonable here. Rob and I are nice guys and we want to HELP people become AMV makers as well as refine and improve their craft. We want to form some kind of community with AMV makers because if someone does screw over another AMV maker by not giving him/her credit, then that person can be singled out and everyoen can know not to download or view their vids.

Cheers,
Katara

Nightowl
Org Profile

Post by Nightowl » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:27 pm

This is an interesting topic. Initially I wasn't going to respond, but then I started thinking... this is an argument that could go both ways.

For the record, yes, I would go haywire if someone used my bunny, as that's original animation. If someone used my bunny in their video without first asking me I would more than likely track that person down and do horrible things to his/her body. But that's a bit off topic.

Utilizing original motion graphic techniques such as split screen, massive compositing, and CGI are fast becoming staples in the AMV world. Some of these effects are so distinct that if they were used in another video, the entire community would know. Using a video that was already mentioned, what if someone found a video that used only footage from Vlad's "Transcending Love?" I know I would be upset if someone decided to use some of the special techniques I've used in videos.

Of course, the video quality would be terrible, as only I have the original masters. The only people who could possibly rip off most everyone's videos at a high quality would be quu or Waldo... now, we all know that quu's videos are all made from other people's footage, as he would never rip a DVD to save his life - but he's forgiven, as he's somewhat essential to three or four people in the community.

Anyway, back to what I was saying... I'm going to start using my own videos as examples - this isn't an ego thing, it's just that I don't want to speak for others. I would be mad if someone made use of the filter process I used in Triengel. This is mostly because the filter process is now a programmed filter utilized in Final Cut Pro and has been patented. Yes, you can do that. I did. If you program a filter that is unique enough you can do that - even if it uses other filters. Regardless, if I found Trigun footage out there someday with that same filter process, I would know it was ripped from my video, and I would know I hadn't given permission. There are some legal ramifications I won't go into here. I would be very upset if I found footage from that video used without so much as asking me (I would still say no). Lucky for me, everyone seems to think I edited using fansubs anyway - you see, I put grain in there, film grain, real film grain... this causes people to believe the footage is shitty. It was an artistic decision.

Okay, I'm stopping that train of thought... I've been up for three days editing and I'm quite exhausted. Hence, the rambling.

I would be just as upset if someone used Utena footage from Love is Flowers, as nearly every frame has been altered utilizing split screen. And if someone used my bunny, my dancing CGI bunny, ooh boy, yeah, I would be severely pissed off. I made that bunny from scratch! I love her goddamnit! I have a RIGHT to request no one use the footage of her! DAMNIT!

Now, I'm getting to the point. I swear.

After all that crap about legalities and bunnies, I've kept one thing in mind: we are using other people's footage. We're using an artist's animation. What if someone used original footage from an AMV in the same regard? Rather than "I'm making a video using Evangelion," it would be "I'm making a video using Brad Demoss' interpretation of Evangelion." I suppose I'm going a bit deeper into the topic than someone who would use the footage might, but still, you never know.

And whenever this topic comes up, I can't help but think... what if someone used footage that had simply been cut? No transitions, no effects, just cut footage put to music. I know I had a total of... I think four transitions in my FLCL video. I don't think I would be able to tell if someone used my footage. I mean, unless you watermark your videos, or you're an idiot and have an obscene amounts of special effects, how can you tell? I don't think that's a statement so much as a question - I really want to know!

Blah, I've typed about this way too much, and as no one really cares about my videos and only one person has ever asked if he could use my footage, I don't think my opinion really matters in this particular case.

Personally, I don't like the idea of someone using another person's footage. One of the great things about learning how to edit is, when you begin, learning to edit with limitations. If all you have is KOR and the only song you own is Demon Knight, make it work. That's what editing is all about. After awhile you may obtain some new source, move ahead with that. Maybe you'll get good, get work, then you can start buying anime. Have only three episodes of Cowboy Bebop and they're Divx? Worse yet, the only song you have is Dirty Laundry? Make the footage look like crappy TV video footage and make a statement against today's media conglomorates, or some such thing. You can do anything with what you've got, you don't need someone else's footage. If you're downloading AMVs in the first place, I KNOW it's very easy to download episodes of certain series off of Kazaa. So do that. Work within your limitations.

Use your imagination, kids.

-N

p.s. I didn't mean to write that much. I'm awfully tired and I'm unsure as to whether or not I will even remember this post. Oh, and that bit about quu, that was satire, for those of you who didn't get it (you know who you are... I don't, but you do).

Did I make points for both sides reasonably well? I hope so.

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:57 pm

I have a new god, and his name is Nightowl    Image
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

Katara
Org Profile

Post by Katara » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:16 pm

As to your bunny, its very cute and all that, and if you drew and animated it, then it is YOURS, no one else's. But we have to face facts here, the Anime we use is NOT ours, nor will it ever be. The song, unless it was written, or sung by you, is not yours either. Should you have had SOME part in drawing, creating, animating, the anime, its not legally yours.

I understand that people feel that their vid is indeed theirs, hey, I feel the same way. But I also accept the fact that people are going to rip your vid, whether you like it or not. You can either bitch about it and become an asshole in the eyes of people at large, or you can try to help them out, and maybe get some free advertising out of it.

Rob and I have been video editing for two years now, and the lack of help or encouragement we recieved discouraged us. Together we've been able to produce roughly 60-70 AMVs and damnit all if we're not proud of each and every one of them. People use pretty effects, wierd transitions, and the like for the simple reason that no one else has used them, but in time those effects are going to get old and everyone and their mother is going to be using them. But the whole point of the policy is to merely try to help out newbie AMV makers, theres a whole bunch of people who have only seen Dragonball Z or Pokemon, and when they try to make vids that are none DBZ or whatever, they may not always have the means to get those clips, the only places they can get these clips from are from established AMV makers, and we'd like to offer them a helping hand in it, the only payment we ask in return is that they mention us or they ask us beforehand.

Cheers,
Katara, Slayer of the mighty dragon known as ignorance.

Return to “General AMV”