"Piracy Policies"... Not me!

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
temaranight
Org Profile

Post by temaranight » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:22 pm

*hops in with her two cents worth now..cause she can :P *

On the whole..I try to stay away from picking someone elses vid to peices. I've not yet used footage from anyones vid..but I'm sure that I've used some of the same shots they have in my vids. And if the time comes that I think "Hmm..you know..I like that shot, but gosh dern it..I've no clue where they got it from" I'd first ask what anime they got it from..try and d/l that anime..(as I do not have a DVD rom at this time, and the only anime DVD I currently own is Trigun eps 1-4) and if that didn't work..ask the vid maker "hey, mind if I use so and so shot from your vid in one I'm working on?" as the worse they could do would be to yell at me,,humilliate me and make me feel like less than pond scum *small j/k there :wink: *

I know alot of people gripe about people using downloaded anime..and yes..the quality does suck on some of them..but when that's all you've got..the heck with it..nothing saying you can't go back and do a remastered version later on when you do have better equipment. AMV making..for me at least..is for fun..and to learn to use new progams. And that's how I veiw it. If someone decides to use something from my vids..yhea ..I admit it would be nice to get a heads up on it before they do..but if not..what can I do? not too much...but get over it. I think that when you do take footage from another vid that includes transtions, ect...your really only cheating yourself, as you get a much better feeling when you do it on your own. *or at least I do..heck..when I figured out how to ghost images on another..I thought I had found the key to all editing..boy..was I messed up.. :? :wink: *

As far as aking for help..that can be a bit daunting at times. Especially if your like me..when posting on a message board and getting replies just don't cut it..cause I still have problems figuring it out then. Luckily on some things..I've been grateful for AIM's Direct Connect function when some one sends me a screen shot of what they're talking about..then I see it..smack my forehead and go DOH! when I see how simple it was..or look at it and go.."But my stuff doesn't look like that.."ect..you get the idea. I'm sure they're are creators out there that are more then happy to help out people..but some of us just aren't too sure how to approach them. And where that fits in here I've no clue.. :?

Okay..now that I see I've been redundant..somewhat.. :wink: I'll be quiet now...

Nightowl
Org Profile

Post by Nightowl » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:16 pm

Katara wrote:As to your bunny, its very cute and all that, and if you drew and animated it, then it is YOURS, no one else's. But we have to face facts here, the Anime we use is NOT ours, nor will it ever be. The song, unless it was written, or sung by you, is not yours either. Should you have had SOME part in drawing, creating, animating, the anime, its not legally yours.
I just want to clarify that the bunny I was speaking of is (although very cute in my opinion) not my avatar (which I found somewhere on the internet), but rather, a dancing CGI bunny girl for the DDR Project. She was the main focus of an AMV I did. Yes, the song is not mine, but we're talking about footage here - not music. Though I could be mistaken and you knew exactly what I was talking about - if this is the case, I apologize, and move on.
Katara wrote:People use pretty effects, wierd transitions, and the like for the simple reason that no one else has used them, but in time those effects are going to get old and everyone and their mother is going to be using them.
This comment is what actually prompted me to post a second time in the thread. This statement is a very broad generalization that I heartily disagree with. There are some of us who use effects as a means of artistic representation. Some of us even use them to make a point, provide a visual concept. I used heavy split screen in Love is Flowers, and I'm fairly certain split screen has been a fully employed technique since the early sixties. It is something that everyone and his/her grandmother has used. I used it initially to hide subtitles, then changed my concept mid-production to make a joke/reference aimed toward Brian DePalma films.

In fact, split screen was used recently and most effectively in the television series 24.

Some of these "pretty effects" are painstaking efforts people create from scratch. Just take a look at Shameless Rock Video - the effects used in that piece were crafted in order to create a feeling of the era from which the song Speed King was derived. It was a conceptual, stylistic decision. How is a newbie going to learn concept and style of their own if they don't experiment and would rather just take the effect that someone painstakingly created? Another good example would be The Truth About Totoro - I've noticed some people comment on the lack of good effects in that video. Once again, it is a conceptual decision to create a style not unlike the video effects used in the eighties, a style Aphex Twin enjoys immitating quite a bit with fantastic results.

In other words, there is no "simple reason." There may be people out there who use effects just to do something others in the community have yet to discover, but I believe they are in the minority, as I've yet to notice any of them. Or perhaps they didn't use the effects well.

As for transitions, I don't consider transitions effects. Any transition that was used pre-1930 is not an effect. It's an established technique.

Anyway, I'm a bit off-topic now, and I don't think anyone else cares at this point, so I'll leave it at that. This is me, sticking my head out to state my opinion once again. I'll go back to sleep now.

-N

Rob Kenchu
Org Profile

Post by Rob Kenchu » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:34 pm

I'm an aspiring animator myself. I plan on animating my very own AMV with my original characters and a song that’s not mine, but that’s beside the point.

%99.9999 of us DONT animate the stuff ourselves.

When this vid is done, and you want to use clips from it, i say on to you: Credit Where It's Due.

Are you saying that when it's the anime company's property, it does not matter, but when it's YOUR "property", we see the other side of the coin?

I wanted to promote UNITY and UNDERSTANDING amongst all AMV makers new and old, and just about all I’m seeing is resistance!

This isn't the 1800's, and this is NOT FUEDAL JAPAN: you're no Shogun, you're no Daimyo, you're no Samurai. We need to come together, not separate from each other.

WE NEED TO STOP DEVIDING OURSELVES AND COME TOGETHER!

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:42 pm

Repetition++

Progress made==0

Rob Kenchu
Org Profile

Post by Rob Kenchu » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:48 pm

i'd stop talking if you guys would see my point! just about all of you are missing it %100

I will not give up. I will make things better for the next generation of AMV makers even if all you "pros" end up hating my guts.

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:53 pm

Rob Kenchu wrote:i'd stop talking if you guys would see my point! just about all of you are missing it %100

I will not give up. I will make things better for the next generation of AMV makers even if all you "pros" end up hating my guts.
um, ok, yeah, thanks, whatever, bye.

*ignores all further posts by beavis & butthead*

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:54 pm

Ok, this thread is getting retarded. If someone is gonna rip off clips, they are gonna do it whether you want them to or not. The only clip I've ever ripped from another video is the pikachu from Xianpower's Bitches Video, and that was because it was a blatant parody, and it is presented as such. as for the rest of the video, it is all downloaded video clips. It's made to look shitty.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:56 pm

Rob Kenchu wrote:I will not give up. I will make things better for the next generation of AMV makers even if all you "pros" end up hating my guts.
I don't hate you but then again I'm not a pro. :shock:

Nappy
Org Profile

Post by Nappy » Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:13 pm

Since they are gonna do it anyways, just make sure no one can notice, don't use clips with effects in them, just use normal clips that look like they came off the DVD/fansub and got back to your editor with all the clips you liked from other peoples vids that you are too lazy and unimaginative to find for yourself.

Yes we are using others work to make what we do, but so is something like say those mosaic pictures that use frames of starwars and make a large picture of darth vader/yoda. Now if you want to take a picture of that mosaic and cut it up with other pictures you took and make a collage, and take it to show and tell so be it >:P we can't stop you.

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:16 am

What do you mean MJ? Asuka's Last Stand threw you right into pro status! :D
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

Return to “General AMV”