AMV Pet Peeves

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kitsunebito
Org Profile

AMV Pet Peeves

Post by Kitsunebito » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:22 pm

My biggest ones are as follows:

"Remakes" i.e. idea poaching with identical footage and half-hearted execution.

Misattribution of the music. Weird Al did NOT sing "Bomb Sadaam," or "Rock Me Jerry Lewis." "Flight of the Bumblebee" is by Rimsky-Korsakov and NOT Mozart. And so on.

Iamshadowkiller
Org Profile

Post by Iamshadowkiller » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:28 pm

I only have one...it is about video descriptions

"OMG THIS VIDEO IS THE SUCK I KNOW DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT, OH WAIT YES PLEASE DO BUT IT IS THE SUCK"

as I see this 90+ wmv file...

why do people say their videos suck...if they think it was a waste of time, then why should I think any different...

I mean, there are rivers and lakes for this kind of thing, fishing for compliments that is..

"oh noes your vids don't the suck"
"really?"
"no, you whore"

/end :?
Oh how convenient. A theory about God that doesn't require looking through a telescope.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:50 pm

i hate it more when people think their video is the best shit ever then thinking it sucks :P

Pwolf

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:53 pm

"Remakes" i.e. idea poaching with identical footage and half-hearted execution.
I think this is really silly, for the following reasons.

(1) We're not jacked into each other's brains, nor is there a compulsory announcement procedure. (Thank goodness.) Thus there is no way to figure out if you're doing something someone else is doing.

(2) If you're referring to copying another video and publicly passing it off as your own: well, I guess that's where we'll just have to disagree. I've never done that (and you can check my profile for proof) but I just don't see the point in even showing the slightest emotional response at it. I mean...it's a fanvid. Rather trivial.

On that note, I'd like to add to the list:

- AMV pet peeve lists

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:18 pm

People who complain about originality.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:30 pm

Iamshadowkiller wrote:I only have one...it is about video descriptions

"OMG THIS VIDEO IS THE SUCK I KNOW DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT, OH WAIT YES PLEASE DO BUT IT IS THE SUCK"
I only wrote that on my old videos!!! lol which do infact suck!!
(why do people keep downloading my old crap??? lol)

lol but there are links to my newer videos so people can download them!! :D

my biggest pet peeve would be use of fansubs and not at the least cutting out the subs.

second: really BAD lyric sync... EX: syncing Kagome beating a futon to lyrics that go "but i just cant look its killing me, and taking controll" or yea... something that doesnt make sense... so i guess lack of planning..

I've done a few videos without much planning, but at the same time, I had a clear idea of what i wanted, and if i didnt then I atleast thought about it... (well uhh?? yea... same complaints about my first 5 videos hahaha, my first 5 videos are my petpeeves!)

Third: blantantly stating "thanks to other creators i ripped off" and not crediting any of them. or a video that is ovbiously ripped off of other creators..

I am sure there are more, but those are the main ones IMO

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:47 pm

Lip flap is one of mine. Nothing like a video with so much flap that you don't know if they're trying to sync or were just too lazy to do masking. That, and the standards : subs, sub group/Gamespot/IGN logos, timestamps, and DivX logos. Basically, I dislike things onscreen that detract from the impact of the video.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:02 pm

1. Seeing my favorite vids canibalized and the frankenstein vids getting better scores because the replacement song is by Evanescence and/or some gushy mainstream artist.

2. Getting really into a video only to be blinded by alternating blurs and flashes. Pick one, please, not both. Squinting to see the blur only to have a flash go off is painful.

3. Inuyasha-Kagome vids. It's just wrong for there to be twice as many vids for this one pairing as there are for all the characters in yyh combined.

4. People who mock over-used songs in their vid descriptions and actually think their 'good taste in music' will make up for the subtitles and fuzz in their vids.

5. People who rate vids according to song choice alone, as if the 'anime' and 'video' parts of an amv don't matter.

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:05 pm

Castor Troy wrote:People who complain about originality.
Castor 4tw.

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:13 pm

1. Videos I have to display at half size so they don't look like crap. Also vids that I have to display at double size so I don't have to squint.

2. Long bumpers before the video.

3. Any non-static distractions during the video. A DivX logo sitting in the corner is something that can be tuned out. Subtitles aren't.

4. Orphan frames, if only because once you notice them you can never unsee them.

5. Vids that use the instrumental as a dumping ground for pretty filler.

6. Vids that die once the lyrics do.

Return to “General AMV”