ATTN: AMV Creator with a VIRUS

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:18 pm

Kusoyaro wrote: I only use Hotmail (aside from my work address, which I assure you is virus-free), so seeing as this is probably an Outlook virus, I very much doubt that I am the source.
Same here, I don't use outlook at all on my home PC yet have gotten emails stating I have been sending a virus. I ran the Trend Micro free scan last night and came up all clean. If anyone without Norton or Mcafee want to check their PC out, a free can be found here...

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:22 pm

The reason I don't have the virus yet is because I don't keep any of you losers in my address book :twisted: </neo hentai master>

~klinky

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:26 pm

klinky wrote:The reason I don't have the virus yet is because I don't keep any of you losers in my address book :twisted: </neo hentai master>

~klinky
I don't even have an address book. =\

Paul Kievits
Org Profile

Post by Paul Kievits » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:24 pm

Hmm, Wonka said I sent him a virus email but the thing is I've only contacted him via a pm here and via hotmail. Besided, I don't ever open attachments and don't recall ever getting a virus email. The way I see it there are 3 options:

1. This is the smartest virus ever; It opens internet explorer, goes to hotmail, knows my login name and password (which are not cookied or saved anywhere), finds Wonka off of an email I once recieved by him (he's not in my adress book) and sends him a virus file I don't even have.

2. The hotmail server is infected and a lot of people are going to be screwed.

3. The a-m-v.org server is infected (hey Hsien has been getting emails from people he doesn't even have contact with or know).

Any other ideas.

BTW. My virus check was negative.
Get my 5th video "Mass Murderer": here

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:31 pm

Vegeta4Pres - all that means is that the person infected has your email address - it doesnt mean the virus came from you.

OK, to narrow this down...

1) The person uses Windows
2) The person uses outlook
3) The person is probably american as the email I received came via netservers.net which is a LA-based company and originated from charter-stl.com

the last one could be faked by the virus though, I think.

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:32 pm

is wonka on your ICQ list? in his profile, does he list his real email address? or maybe on his AIM profile? or anything else? the virus looks at instant messenger programs and other such things to find email addreses.
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

Garylisk
Org Profile

Post by Garylisk » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:34 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote: 3) The person is probably american as the email I received came via netservers.net which is a LA-based company and originated from charter-stl.com
Crap, I use outlook, windows, and my ISP is charter-stl.com

Maybe I should scan for the cirus again, I might be the one sending out this stuff.... but I ran the removal tool yesterday and it said i was not infected. This is so confusing. :P
Alcohol, Drugs, Overdrive, Noise, Neon Lights, Party People, Revolution

Red Wolf
Org Profile

Post by Red Wolf » Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:47 pm

Vegeta for president wrote:2. The hotmail server is infected and a lot of people are going to be screwed.
Aside from the fact that would suck for a lot of y'all that would EXTREMELY funny. I can just see the news blurp now...

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:26 pm

Vegeta for president wrote: 1. This is the smartest virus ever; It opens internet explorer, goes to hotmail, knows my login name and password (which are not cookied or saved anywhere), finds Wonka off of an email I once recieved by him (he's not in my adress book) and sends him a virus file I don't even have.
Nah, a smart virus would be one that propagated itself through printers via PostScript. This is theoretically possible on some printers, like a few HP models; if I recall correctly, they have a PostScript interpreter built into their (flashable) firmware.

Imagine the fun you could have with something like that.

Of course, I didn't respond in any useful way there, and I'm sure #1 was meant to be funny.

Most likely it's just some random psycho who has a lot of the more famous AMV creators' e-mail addresses in his Outlook databases for some reason. There's really nothing that can be done about it, except praying that whoever it is figures out that his b0x0rz have been 0wn3d.

oh yeah. Hey, AD, could you post the full headers, just in case somebody here is any good at tracking things down? They're not the best way to track somebody, but they can sometimes be useful.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:58 am

I just got one from AXNY@spja.org :shock:
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Return to “General AMV”