what would you rather [have hits or opinions?]

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
bloodyhawk
Org Profile

what would you rather [have hits or opinions?]

Post by bloodyhawk » Sun May 22, 2005 7:13 pm

alot of hits or opinions...cause i dont see why opinions are so important its just a review by someone so wouldnt it be better to have alot of hits? :?

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Sun May 22, 2005 7:15 pm

well it depends on how good you are as an editor, if you're a kickass editor theoretically it would be best to have masses of hits, but if you're a crap-mediocre editore it would be best to have loads of opinions to tell you what to do to get better...always supposing the opinions themselves are good...:roll:

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun May 22, 2005 7:28 pm

i'd choose opinions. i always enjoy reading and hearing feedback. hits provide an indicator of the widespread-ness of the video, but are less important than ops, at least to me.

there are several why creators value opinions - they tell how the audience thinks of their vids, with more opinions creators get a better idea of how their vids are generally received, and opinions provide helpful suggestions and criticisms that help creators improve either technically or stylistically.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Sun May 22, 2005 7:37 pm

I prefer opinions. It just feels good when someone takes intrest in something you've spent alot of time working hard on. It also helps me impove as an editor, as a creator is usualy the one most blinded to the faults of his work.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Sun May 22, 2005 7:40 pm

bum wrote:a creator is usualy the one most blinded to the faults of his work.
But that does also work the other way, a lot of creators can tend to be overly critical.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun May 22, 2005 7:58 pm

I prefer downloads or opinions. I have a few vids that get tons of hits - because they use a hundred sources and show up on searches a lot. That doesn't mean anyone actually downloads them, let alone actually likes them. For some vids, the ones using odd themes or unfamiliar anime, I'm thrilled to get downloads - just so I know people are giving it a chance, or interested enough to check the video out. The same thing holds for vids made with very popular sources - it's nice to know that among the masses, someone downloaded *my* video.

For vids where I'm expecting a fan response - where I'm fulfilling what I see as a need or 'want' from my target audience - I expect feedback. In that case, a few opinions are my validation for sharing. I don't pine for lots and lots of opinions, but I do expect there to be a nice ratio of downloads to opinions - because the only people who'd download these vids are the sort who'd want to encourage more vids for similar themes - they give their opinions and give me ideas on other 'takes' and ideas they'd like to see made. This is a major source of ideas for me, so I look forward to the feedback on these vids.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun May 22, 2005 8:14 pm

HITS
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun May 22, 2005 8:40 pm

Ops. For me, the right kind of attention is impossible to measure in terms of quantity, only quality.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Sun May 22, 2005 8:49 pm

Arigatomina wrote:I prefer downloads or opinions. I have a few vids that get tons of hits - because they use a hundred sources and show up on searches a lot. That doesn't mean anyone actually downloads them, let alone actually likes them..
thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread title ;p Hits mean nothing if you have 10000 hits and only 100 downloads ;p the download number is much more important to me. If it was between downloads and ops, I'd be a hard choice. but between hits and ops, I'd have to go with the ops.

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Sun May 22, 2005 9:07 pm

Arigatomina wrote:For some vids, the ones using odd themes or unfamiliar anime, I'm thrilled to get downloads - just so I know people are giving it a chance, or interested enough to check the video out. The same thing holds for vids made with very popular sources - it's nice to know that among the masses, someone downloaded *my* video.
Ditto. Though for me, as someone who started editing with an audience of two including me, as many as 30 downloads can constitute alot.

Ops on the other hand are something I hunt for when I want some detailed feedback on specific videos. Or, maybe to get some insite from other creators whos work I enjoy watching. Free, unsolicited, ops are also nice. Even the short ones take a little extra time that the oper could have spent elsewhere. So I guess my vote is for ops.

Return to “General AMV”