What's your basic preference?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

What's your basic preference?

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:17 pm

Why didn't I think of this sooner... :?

What are your preferences for downloaded videos?
(Small file size but OK quality or big size but great quality; file type [MPEG, AVI, etc]; short or long video; music genre; lots of digital effects or none at all..etc etc.)

So in other words I'm asking how you like your videos from a technical point of view. Add anything else that you can think of that I missed.

Tahnks for all your input... 8)

priuscomet
Org Profile

Post by priuscomet » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:25 pm

hmm...as far as the genre of the vid goes...i'd say i'm pretty open to a lot of the genres out there.

file types....i'd prefer mpeg, avi....anything non .rm cuz it annoys me... well, those are the only file types that i've come across w/ so far anyway... since i'm on a 56k now ::weeps:: i prefer the smaller file sizes. when i was on my college connection i really didnt' care wat the size was or how long it would take me to dl. but now... :cry: i only get online for like....and hour or two....so it's got to be fast and small....

DiemondDagger
Org Profile

Post by DiemondDagger » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:31 pm

Well I'll download anything that plays in the KaZaA theater.
If I download any .rm's it's because either they are my friend, or I did a review swap and I had to.
Although I did download a .rm that MJ told us all about in the old forum.
And I downloaded Nathan's 7 Minutes of Bad Luck.

Other then that it doesn't matter.
I more look for Romance,Drama,Instrumental something that isn't done alot.
I'll download something action as long as it has another genre included that isn't Character Profile. Since half the LinkinBall Z video are Action CP, so that's my $1.25

NeoGohan
Org Profile

Post by NeoGohan » Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:32 pm

If I knew a video was good, I'd download a 30MB a minute DVD-quality copy of it. Otherwise I prefer something in the 10MB a minute range, possibly lower if DivX is used.

Oh.. and I despise anything that either wont play under Windows Media Player or is unable to be converted to another format.

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:17 pm

I prefer MPEG as it plays smoothly on just about any computer. DivX is alright, but it tends to skip. As for filesizes, as long as they're within reason (e.g. no 10 meg, five minute files and no 200MB encodes) then I'm perfectly fine with them.

otakuscotty
Org Profile

Post by otakuscotty » Sun Jul 07, 2002 10:04 pm

I prefer anything above 30 megs. Becuase i have the Raedon 7500 video card plugged into my TV, the mpgs and avis (sometimes asf) display the best on my 27 inch tv (i watch amvs because MTV stopeed playing music videos!!! arrrgh!). RM and many asf video is like waching the video in a swimming pool...blotchy and frozen frames, so well that's my preference...also cmon, if someone is going to spend hours, days, possobly months on an anime music video, why would they have their final copy or debut to be less than perfect. (not advocating 500mb vobs) A good number for me is 60megs...

well that was my opinion. and i'm sure if i had a dial-up conection my opinon would be vastly diffenent--to be fair

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:07 pm

My vids tend to be around 10MB/minute (1500K/sec, CBR MPEG-1) for older stuff. Distro of Haru to Ashura will be a bit higher (2000K/sec, CBR MPEG-1) due to highly detailed motion issues.

Dragon Bebop Z is a bit bloated IMHO - 90 MB for 5.5 minutes, and the audio still has some compression shrillness on it. The video's pretty tho.
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:27 pm

Dragon Bebop Z is a bit bloated IMHO - 90 MB for 5.5 minutes, and the audio still has some compression shrillness on it. The video's pretty tho.
The encode is a modified version of ErMaC's settings (I somehow was able to make the mpeg totally fast forward/rewindable/seekable unlike his mpegs) I did have a few audio issues since my computer somewhat ripped the sounds and music a bit too low.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:31 am

hmmm...guess that goes to show that ermac sucks...or at least his mpeg settings...i did a couple in VBR and dind't find it much better. i also think audio's the biggest PITA to get right in distributing, and most people set the bitrates too low (I'm guilty of this too...) The best bet is to not compress any audio until the MPEG is made if possible. I'm going to have to experiment with this....
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:54 am

iserlohn wrote:hmmm...guess that goes to show that ermac sucks...or at least his mpeg settings...i
His settings are fine - the fast forwarding issue is all about keyframing. TMPG can be crap at putting in enough keyframes in MPEG1 stuff - that's why ErMaC suggests manual keyframes. If there isn't very fast seeking then that probably means that there isn't really a need for keyframes at that point and you should just add some more for ease of seeking (although it will eat up your bitrate by adding too many)
iserlohn wrote: i also think audio's the biggest PITA to get right in distributing, and most people set the bitrates too low (I'm guilty of this too...) The best bet is to not compress any audio until the MPEG is made if possible. I'm going to have to experiment with this....
Well you can check out my method in my audio guide, if you like. (link below)

Return to “General AMV”