Hosting on your own computer....

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:34 am

I ran a public AMV FTP server off my computer for 3 years while I was in college on a T1. You have to be really careful...luckily, my school never complained about the bandwidth, but I had to heavily limit the users because my computer couldn't handle it, and at the time, my system was pretty robust. If I turned off server limits, my computer would invariably crash within an hour from idiots hammering me. I also had to turn it off occasionally when running system-intensive programs, as my computer tended to be sluggish when I had 10 or 20 users downloading on T1's!

And just FYI, I used Serv-U, which is very simple and no-frills...never had any problems with it.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Re: ....

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:29 pm

if you only have one person downloading your vid, the fastest that person can get is 20Kbs
so meaning that one person will only be able to download at a time at 20KB/sec max...??? :( [/quote]
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Re: ....

Post by FurryCurry » Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:16 pm

Ko Oh Yoku wrote:
if you only have one person downloading your vid, the fastest that person can get is 20Kbs
so meaning that one person will only be able to download at a time at 20KB/sec max...??? :(
Yes, that's pretty much it. maybe a little cloase to 30k, depending, but yeah, 1 @ 20-27K, 2 @ 10-14k, etc, and you will barely be able to use your connection, as the constant leeching will slow down your browsing & such quite a lot.

It may also be against the rules of your ISP, and get you a nasty phone call to your house, with a threat to shut off your service, or worse.

Sorry for such bad news.

Return to “General AMV”