newbie question

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
usd2020
Org Profile

newbie question

Post by usd2020 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:03 pm

is there a way to make my video's file size smaller? i've only made one video but its 80 megs and i think thats too much

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:20 pm

Use a different type of format.

Realmedia, wmv, quicktime, etc. Some of these smaller formats may work, but the quality will definetely suffer.

There's more...like this next guy's advice...
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:23 pm

What is the codec you have currently? If you encode in real player it takes a 67 meg file down to three. Course the quality becomes utter crap.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

usd2020
Org Profile

no clue

Post by usd2020 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:30 pm

i have no idea which codec i'm using, I dont know much about these things, i just went to export timeline then movie in adobe premiere

shinto
Org Profile

Post by shinto » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:46 pm

I have had lots of problems with filesize. I have found that the best thing to use is Windows Media Encoder because you will get small files with reasonable quality. You can download it from the Windows Media Player Site.
*Shinto*

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt like elerberries!! I fart in your general direction!" ~Monty Python and the Holy Grail~

*Sephi the red nosed bad guy.
Had a very shiny nose..*

NicholasDWolfwood
Org Profile

Post by NicholasDWolfwood » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:55 pm

Ignore the last person. Encode using either DivX, XviD or MPEG-1. I encode in XviD for broadband users and RM for 56k users, and together, they only take up about 35MB of space. I'm also switching from using HuffYUV files to MPEG-2 files for CD backups.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:07 pm

go to http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/ ... index.html and down at the bottom download helix producer basic. Export your timeline as avi with huffyuv compression, and then load the avi into helix producer. If your video is 320/352x240 you can get by with good quality at 512 kbps video and 64 kbps audio, which would give you about 15 mb for a 4 minute amv.
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

Sub0
Org Profile

Post by Sub0 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:25 pm

RadicalEd0 wrote:go to http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/ ... index.html and down at the bottom download helix producer basic. Export your timeline as avi with huffyuv compression, and then load the avi into helix producer. If your video is 320/352x240 you can get by with good quality at 512 kbps video and 64 kbps audio, which would give you about 15 mb for a 4 minute amv.
I'm no pro like you but I use the DivX 3.11 codec at 250bps and 64kbps DivX :) audio and my 4 min vid is 8mb... coarse it's just Robotech (old 'anime') so maybe that's why the quality is comparible when not fullscreened. maybe a newer Cowboy Bebop vid would be more touchy when it comes to lowering bitrate. Regardless, I would never suggest you use DivX 3.11 at any bitrate cept a low one (it's always butt-ugly at fullscreen) ;-p.

RadicalEd0
Org Profile

Post by RadicalEd0 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:43 pm

nnno :O dont use the divx audio codec, its very very bad in a lot of ways
the best thing to do for audio in an avi is make an mp3 with LAME and mux it with the avi in nandub
personally though I use vorbis audio with the video muxxed in an ogg file
NMEAMV: PENIS
NMEAMV: IN
NMEAMV: YO
NMEAMV: MIXED
NMEAMV: DRINK

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:55 pm

RadicalEd0 wrote:the best thing to do for audio in an avi is make an mp3 with LAME and mux it with the avi in nandub
no it isn't and if you'd read my audio guide you'd know why.

You should use the LAME codec but you should ideally give it WAV headers and mux it with virtualdub (not nandub). The current edition of the audio guide doesnt really go into this in enough detail but the updated version I have written does.

It will be released along with the new video guides.

Return to “General AMV”