AMV Plagiarism?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:41 am

EXODO wrote:Actually,
Plagerism means to take the work of another person (partial or not partial) and say it is yours.
Sounds simple and common sense, doesn't it?

It's amazing how many people here don't know the definition of the word. If you cite the source, it isn't plagiarism. Period. By listing the anime and song used, we've cited our sources. So it isn't plagiarism.

Apples/oranges. These people are talking about copyright infringement. The ones on-topic here are talking about plagiarism. Two different things.

Those misusing the word...get a new word. If you're English speakers, you're making yourselves look bad. >.<

And we've been over the semantics dozens of times. No matter how many times you say it, you'll still be wrong if you don't look up the word before using it.

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:06 am

Arigatomyna wrote:It's amazing how many people here don't know the definition of the word. If you cite the source, it isn't plagiarism. Period. By listing the anime and song used, we've cited our sources. So it isn't plagiarism.

Apples/oranges. These people are talking about copyright infringement. The ones on-topic here are talking about plagiarism. Two different things.

Those misusing the word...get a new word. If you're English speakers, you're making yourselves look bad. >.<

And we've been over the semantics dozens of times. No matter how many times you say it, you'll still be wrong if you don't look up the word before using it.
Yeah, but could I write an ENTIRE paper out of nothing but directly copied text, just changing the order and perhaps a word here and there? No, thats still plagerism.

Or the university is feeding me lies, which wouldn't suprise me.

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:52 am

devilmaykickass wrote: Yeah, but could I write an ENTIRE paper out of nothing but directly copied text, just changing the order and perhaps a word here and there? No, thats still plagerism.

Or the university is feeding me lies, which wouldn't suprise me.
That's because plagerism also covers ideas. If you just change order and a word here and there, you're still claiming that other people's ideas are your own. If you cite the source, then you're no longer plagerizing since you recignize the source, and it's generally ok(thohugh universities usually want their students to forumlate their own ideas rather than regurgitate that of others)..

kitsunebeolnet
Wants Extra Stuff By Name
Org Profile

Post by kitsunebeolnet » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:32 pm

Forgetting about the legalities of AMVs, plagerism and whatnot. using other people's sources without asking their permission violates the AMV'ers code. (Ok, its more of a guideline.) As mentioned, really blatant stuff will get your video pulled from the local server and could get someone banned from the org if they continue to be a jerk about it.

Leagally, there isn't much that can be done. But if you want to find yourselves ostrasized (and theres nothing lonelier than a geek that other geeks won't talk to) you won't do it.

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:36 pm

kitsunebeolnet wrote:Leagally, there isn't much that can be done. But if you want to find yourselves ostrasized (and theres nothing lonelier than a geek that other geeks won't talk to) you won't do it.
You may start ostracizing me now. I've ripped off video footage from other amvs without contacting their creator.

kitsunebeolnet
Wants Extra Stuff By Name
Org Profile

Post by kitsunebeolnet » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:56 pm

BogoSort wrote:
Somebody say something? :)

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Post by Voices_Of_Ryan » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:01 pm

:shock:
Why would anyone care?

Lemme put it this way.
If we bitch about someone stealing quote "our property" I think everyone could ask the companies that make anime to sue them (them meaning: the people bitching).
We stole it from the anime corperations. Why are we bitching? Why do we care?

Because everyone needs something to bitch about.
"hey... no"

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:11 pm

Voices_Of_Ryan wrote:We stole it from the anime corperations. Why are we bitching? Why do we care?
Because...
Arigatomyna wrote:If you cite the source, it isn't plagiarism. Period. By listing the anime and song used, we've cited our sources. So it isn't plagiarism.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Post by Voices_Of_Ryan » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:17 pm

flint_the_dwarf wrote:
Voices_Of_Ryan wrote:We stole it from the anime corperations. Why are we bitching? Why do we care?
Because...
Arigatomyna wrote:If you cite the source, it isn't plagiarism. Period. By listing the anime and song used, we've cited our sources. So it isn't plagiarism.
Lemme ask the FBI... oh wait.
Don't have too :oops: it's at the beginning of EVERY video/dvd in america.
"hey... no"

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Post by Voices_Of_Ryan » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:20 pm

Voices_Of_Ryan wrote:
flint_the_dwarf wrote:
Because...
Lemme ask the FBI... oh wait.
Don't have too :oops: it's at the beginning of EVERY video/dvd in america.
The only point I have is...
If we don't stop bitching about it like this.

Eventually we'll get the solution, and it may not be the solution we where "hoping" for (I cite the Offtopic section?). So just please stop already. Cause honestly.

I don't want this site to dissapear just because of this stupid little thing. And eventually one of the mod's or whomever has the ultimate control over these things might actually start listening to some of these hair brained things and get an idea like "the only thing to do is to shut the site down" and what would we do with our lives then?

God forbid we enter the mainstream world.
"hey... no"

Return to “General AMV”