Is Service Pack 2 fuckin up my BW

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Yok/0
do not feed
Org Profile

Is Service Pack 2 fuckin up my BW

Post by Yok/0 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:49 pm

Ok a short story in a nutshell. My computer got fucked up and the bios got all fucked up, it was a dell dimension 8100. But ne ways i got a custom made computer and i got service pack 2, with windows security Alerts on it which has the firewall and the auto update, and for some reason this thing is fuckin up the way i use my computer. now a 3 min, vid i take now takes 15 min. or more. I thought it took me a hour for ANimix to download. Do u know what my problem is?

Fate_Engine
Org Profile

Post by Fate_Engine » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:21 pm

think there another thread about SP2 fucking stuff up that can be found here. hope it helps.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:01 pm

Might be a problem with the firewall.

Lyrs
Org Profile

Post by Lyrs » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:46 pm

Turn off the system firewall if you are using a better one such as Sygate's or Norton's or whatever else.
GeneshaSeal - Dead Seals for Free
Orgasm - It's a Science

Rosie-chan
Org Profile

Post by Rosie-chan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:29 pm

I think you're talking about the amount of time it takes you to download stuff, am I correct?

The ammount of time it takes to download a large file has nothing to do with any sort of firewall software, be it the one enabled by default with XP Service Pack 2 or otherwise. If the firewall were a problem, you probably woldn't be able to download at all.

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:25 pm

Rosie-chan wrote:I think you're talking about the amount of time it takes you to download stuff, am I correct?

The ammount of time it takes to download a large file has nothing to do with any sort of firewall software
Uh, yeah it does/can. If the firewall is a problem, it can make your downloads slower or prevent you from downloading at all.
Though I can't see how you'd be able to access the internet and not download.

ROLLY EYES FACE.

Rosie-chan
Org Profile

Post by Rosie-chan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:59 pm

Firewalls, in my experience, are either on or off. Either traffic gets through or it doesn't. I don't know of any firewalls that have the means of throttling bandwidth.

Asside from that, there are many other things that could affect bandwidth, most of them having nothing at all do to with the user's computer. There might be an unusualy high ammount of traffic on the .org, problems at the ISP, problems at any of dozzens of places between your computer and the .org...too many variables to go blaming the firewall outright.

Sivis
Org Profile

Post by Sivis » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:11 pm

AFAICR the XP SP2 introduced new feature that limits number of connections you can open / certain time period. I think you shouldn't notice this in normal use, but if you use p2p programs it might affect the performance. Here seems to be more info.

Yok/0
do not feed
Org Profile

Post by Yok/0 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:32 pm

how do i even get rid of those connections u guys talk about
ne images or something will be nice or a brief instruction, and yes i'll get norton in time yea.

fyrtenheimer
Org Profile

Post by fyrtenheimer » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:26 am

Rosie-chan wrote:Firewalls, in my experience, are either on or off. Either traffic gets through or it doesn't. I don't know of any firewalls that have the means of throttling bandwidth.
Either on or off? What the hell would be the point in that? Uh, any firewall that lets you filter it and/or filter it to hell, or with any options at all can degrade bandwidth, default settings included. Ex: Sygate. Our little Windows XP one has been known to do that to people. Might want to look that up.
Asside from that, there are many other things that could affect bandwidth, most of them having nothing at all do to with the user's computer. There might be an unusualy high ammount of traffic on the .org, problems at the ISP, problems at any of dozzens of places between your computer and the .org...too many variables to go blaming the firewall outright.
..But if it's a problem notedly mentioned by dozens of people , excluding the org, you might want to check it out.

Return to “General AMV”