The evolution of an AMV creator

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Guld_Bowman_02
Org Profile

The evolution of an AMV creator

Post by Guld_Bowman_02 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:13 pm

I just got finished reading the new updates on Post Production: "Improving Visual Quality and Compressibility ...". I've (a Newbie) been reading and re-reading the how-to guids and posts from various fourm topics for about 2 1/2 months. Now, I kind of understand why "elder" AMV creators get annoyed when someone (newbies in particular) comes in asking questions that could have easily been answered by putting forth a little effort to at least TRY to do some research. I did not know that so freakin' much went into creating a decent AMV (not just some sh#* somebody threw together, but something that you can tell took SOME thought and requires a little artistic inspriation to create).
Having said all that, my question is, when did the AMV creation process begin to "flow", considering the seemingly infinite number of circumstances that someone has to confront when making an AMV?
Or, what were some of the Major obsticles that anyone's ever encountered? (I quickly found out that there is no "Magic pill", but there are some things that the AMV community have reached a general consensus on.)

Or maybe the question is too broad?...

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:22 pm

Evolution of AMVs?
Charlton Heston wrote:In the beginning, there was the two-VCR method. And the people saw the videos made by the two-VCR method. And they said that it was meh.

So there was a great shout, and people found the laserdisc. But the laserdisc was expensive. And it's players were expensive. So there was another great shout. And a trumpet too. And then there was a pause, and QuickTime was made. And there was much linear editing software for the Macintosh. And then there was another pause, and the non-linear editor was created. And there was a great cry from the PC realm, and it was ported. And there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth as many DBZ/Linkin Park videos were made.
Or are you looking for something more personal? That would take someone who's been making AMV for more than a year, then.... :(

As for my evolution, well, I started with the guides, and played with the programs, until I learned how to make Lain comedy videos. And there was much weeping. :)
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Paradisio
Org Profile

Post by Paradisio » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:32 pm

Well I'm not sure of the question, I am not exactly experienced, but after I finished my first video in about 2 years last week I have been pounding out my new one for about 4 hours a day for the last week, and I've done rougly 1/6th of it.

Here are my suggestions:
Try out several programs, I was severely limited by my original AMV making program, QTpro, for lots of reason. Find a program with an interface you like, some people prefer the Adobe Premiere Pro, and some people prefer 6-6.5. Mostly because the track methods are entirely different.

Get your computer to a somewhat decent standing. I couldn't edit comfortably until I got over a gig of ram in premiere. And I still can't preview my video properly most of the time, which is extremely annoying when I am trying to time. Of course, get a big HD as well. You don't want to be restricted by your hardware.

And some general rules I have found that make AMVs better:
-Don't have talking unless it is lipsyncing
-If lipsyncing, please beware of the characters expression, it just throws the video off when you have a depressing song and the character looks like they are exploding with laughter
-Subs are bad
-Dont have clips that last for more than a couple of seconds unless they really fit.

I find these things help me a lot.

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:36 pm

Sousaphonist wrote:Evolution of AMVs?
Charlton Heston wrote:In the beginning, there was the two-VCR method. And the people saw the videos made by the two-VCR method. And they said that it was meh.

So there was a great shout, and people found the laserdisc. But the laserdisc was expensive. And it's players were expensive. So there was another great shout. And a trumpet too. And then there was a pause, and QuickTime was made. And there was much linear editing software for the Macintosh. And then there was another pause, and the non-linear editor was created. And there was a great cry from the PC realm, and it was ported. And there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth as many DBZ/Linkin Park videos were made.
haha, Charlton Heston...good times

Or are you looking for something more personal? That would take someone who's been making AMV for more than a year, then.... :(

As for my evolution, well, I started with the guides, and played with the programs, until I learned how to make Lain comedy videos. And there was much weeping. :)
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

Jebadia
Org Profile

Post by Jebadia » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:37 pm

Jebadia wrote:
Sousaphonist wrote:Evolution of AMVs?

feck, typed in the wrong place...my post is now part of the quote.
"If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"
Paperskunk:...PENIS!!!!!!!!! GIANT PENIS!!!!!!!!!! ERMAC WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!!! GIANT JUICY PENIS!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH MY EYES!!!!!!

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:39 pm

The evolution of an amv creator

* Tries to learn new program/effect/etc... (This can be thrown in between phases)

1. Starts off innocently making whatever he/she wants without much knowledge of technical stuff or the community.

2. Finds community and sees videos superior to his/her own and wants to do the same things. Learns what people like/hate and what's popular or not. Does what he or she can to fit in.

3. Learns about contests and achieving fame and wants to pursue it.

4. Makes awesome video that wins/loses cons.

Now the branches split from here....

5a. Wins cons, goes off to compete again.

5b. Wins cons, retires.

5c. Loses cons, goes off to compete again.

5d. Loses cons, discouraged/retires

Now if you follow 5a or 5c, the cycle begins from 5 all over again until..

6. Doesn't care much about winning/losing anymore.

You can go back to 5 from here or...

7a. Retires happy.

7b. Retires sad.

7c. Retires out of frustration and spite.

7d. Retires out of necessity to move on.

So far I'm at phase 6 and am hoping to end it at 7a but 7d is looking more practical.

You tend to hit your creative peak around phase 5.

Feel free to add more :)
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Fluxmeister
Org Profile

Post by Fluxmeister » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:54 pm

Castor, you forgot:

7e. Make an a Korn + Escaflowne video. (Go to step 7e when this step is complete)
| NHMK Music Video Downloads | Editing like it's 2006. |

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:56 pm

The simple answer is that if you keep learning, keep advancing your technique, then it will NEVER flow. As you keep advancing, you will keep learning new software, keep fighting with that software, try to use it to achieve your vision, maybe succeed, maybe fail. Then your vision becomes something that you can't handle anymore, and you start over, learning more software, trying to create something with it...
All the while you can go back to the basics, and discover that your technique never was as good as you thought it was, what you did in the past is plagued with problems, and it seems you will never have the talent to achieve what you would like. But you keep trying, you give it another go. People tell you you've made something incredible. You tell yourself that you've made something incredible. But then you come back in a year or 2 and see that what you made is simply crap. But you are once again making something even more incredible. Its an endless cycle. And sometimes that old crap starts to look nice again. Sometimes it might seem to flow while you make a video or 2, but then its right back to wondering what the heck it is you are trying to do in the first place.
It's confusing as hell, but its somehow fun and interesting.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:17 pm

TEH EVOLUTION OF AN AMV CREATOR!!!!!

Oh, wait. Oops.

AMVs have never flowed for me and I see no reason for them to ever do so.

It's fun in the same way that playing around with knives or fire is. You know you're going to get hurt, but what the hell, it might be fun in the end.

CerebralAssamite
Org Profile

Post by CerebralAssamite » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:56 pm

Castor Troy wrote:The evolution of an amv creator

* Tries to learn new program/effect/etc... (This can be thrown in between phases)

1. Starts off innocently making whatever he/she wants without much knowledge of technical stuff or the community.

2. Finds community and sees videos superior to his/her own and wants to do the same things. Learns what people like/hate and what's popular or not. Does what he or she can to fit in.

3. Learns about contests and achieving fame and wants to pursue it.

4. Makes awesome video that wins/loses cons.

Now the branches split from here....

5a. Wins cons, goes off to compete again.

5b. Wins cons, retires.

5c. Loses cons, goes off to compete again.

5d. Loses cons, discouraged/retires

Now if you follow 5a or 5c, the cycle begins from 5 all over again until..

6. Doesn't care much about winning/losing anymore.

You can go back to 5 from here or...

7a. Retires happy.

7b. Retires sad.

7c. Retires out of frustration and spite.

7d. Retires out of necessity to move on.

So far I'm at phase 6 and am hoping to end it at 7a but 7d is looking more practical.

You tend to hit your creative peak around phase 5.

Feel free to add more :)
Well yeah thats pretty much it in a nut shell but unlike your list i just went from 1 to 6 im working on a vid now, its decent i know and i understand that i for one wont be able to make vids that score perfect 10's or even 9's, i personally hate digital effects so me getting perfect scores are out of the question period! So yeah i dont give 2 shits what ppl think about my clip same goes for my opinions on others vids, unless of course its a legit opinion and not some bs from an aquantaince(sp) on msn or aim.

Return to “General AMV”